Becoming an arthritic

You young un's with nothing to add and your snarky ass comments (yeah, I was once one like that....)  ....this could become you.

So, wake up this past Monday morning and none of my fingers will work, wedding ring will no longer fit, everything in hands is just numb.  Amazing.  On Sunday, everything was fine.  On Monday, I have some quality of life issues. 

All other joints are fine.  Just hands.  I take some ibuprofen, but it doesn't make a difference.  Aleve works a little.  After an hour or so each day, hand function sort of returns.  I can type, tie a shoe..but can't make a fist. And I really can't grip a golf club now.....

Can't get into the doctor until next Tuesday.

So, fellow posters.  What say ye?  Anyone else ever been in a similar position, get treatment, did it help?

Damn.  Sorry to hear.  Will keep you in my thoughts.

My mother had arthritis, and I believe it was thought to be osteo, but it was actually rheumatoid/autoimmune (it ate the cartilage in her knees and shoulders).  I'm not up on it, but I believe rheumatoid type has more treatments but probably a worse prognosis.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

I hear you.  Over the past 6 months or so, I've noticed mild numbness in my feet when I wake, mostly in my toes.  About a month ago one toe completely went batshit crazy, with pain, mild redness, swelling, etc.  I thought it could be gout, but the google machine doctor convinced me it was probably a form of arthritis, perhaps psoriatic.  It faded after a few days but I'm seeing a doc next week.  Old sucks (and I'm not that old)

Jimmy's remark reminded me of something.  If you sleep on your hands or arms, that can play hell with numbness in the mornings.  I'm a side sleeper and have to be real careful to keep my knees together and parallel to each other or my hips hurt like hell.  Gotta keep my toes other than pointed or I get plantar fasciitis.  It could conceivably be something as simple as that.

11 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You young un's with nothing to add and your snarky ass comments (yeah, I was once one like that....)  ....this could become you.

So, wake up this past Monday morning and none of my fingers will work, wedding ring will no longer fit, everything in hands is just numb.  Amazing.  On Sunday, everything was fine.  On Monday, I have some quality of life issues. 

All other joints are fine.  Just hands.  I take some ibuprofen, but it doesn't make a difference.  Aleve works a little.  After an hour or so each day, hand function sort of returns.  I can type, tie a shoe..but can't make a fist. And I really can't grip a golf club now.....

Can't get into the doctor until next Tuesday.

So, fellow posters.  What say ye?  Anyone else ever been in a similar position, get treatment, did it help?

If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you?

Gout? it can pop up quick but it hits your feet generally but hands as well.   Anti-inflammation things can help such as foods or supplements that have Turmeric(Curcumin)  and/or Ginger in them.  Blueberries are great for calming inflammation.  Tomato soup or any tomatos for the Lycopene help calm/heal.  Drink a ton of water every day.

The above is all speculation.  

5 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’m no doctor, but isn’t arthritis something that develops over time? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of it just appearing overnight.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

I thought the same thing.

https://www.arthritis.org/about-arthritis/understanding-arthritis/do-i-have-arthritis.php

Arthritis might seem simple, but it’s really not. There are more than 100 types of arthritis and related conditions. Arthritis can start in many ways, and can be difficult to recognize. It can come on slowly and be mild, or it can start suddenly and cause intense pain that surges within a few hours. The signs and symptoms can come and go over time. It might cause the classic issues of joint pain, swelling and stiffness, or it may first cause health problems that seem unrelated, like fatigue or a rash. Early signs of arthritis might be mistaken for an injury or the result of “too much” activity.

18 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

51 last month.

I’m a few years behind you. My joints are steadily becoming creaky-er year after year. There are a few physical things that I’d like to do before I’m too old, like climbing a big mountain and doing a long-distance hike, but I don’t know if my body will hold up.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/arthritis/in-depth/arthritis/art-20047971

I am definitely a senior poster on this thread but would recommend an exercise program for prevention/improvement of arthritis and overall health if you don't have one.   Specifically,  strength training and flexibility exercises for joint health.    An aerobic program is also a necessity.    Good article above.

Strength training does not have to be the "free weight" type,  the circuit machines at the gym will do the job.

Update.

Woke this morning, and fingers/joints felt the best they have since last Sunday.  As day progressed, they felt better.  I tried slipping on wedding ring.  It fits just fine.

I've done nothing since last weekend any different than normal diet wise, exercise wise, work wise, etc.  The only thing I did for some pain management was Aleve, and unless I wake up tomorrow and they are sore again, I'm not taking any more.  Still going to the dr on Tuesday.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

I was diagnosed with psoriasis in my 30’s and they told me I’d most likely get psoriatic arthritis as I get older. It’s been 10+ years and I’m beginning to get the occasional numbness in my fingers. I’m just waiting for it to get worse because I’m not sure anything can be done. Sucks. 

Doctor appointment update.

Hey, my BP is 120/72, and I've lost 6 lbs since my last visit.  So, there's that.

On to the prognosis.  Right now, there isn't any.  He did some range of motion stuff and whatnot, and the only lingering thing from a week ago is the swelling of my finger joints (wedding ring doesn't fit still).  He told me to stick with the Aleve for at least this week, and if the joint swelling hasn't subsided, then he's ordering blood work.