Narcos: Mexico

thepop

12 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I've been reading up on the actual history after watching season 2.  Not sure I've ever been more convinced that we just need to legalize everything.  Put these psychopathic murderers out of business the way we did the bootleggers.

I watched a doc on the cartels taking over fucking avacodo farming.  

On 2/17/2020 at 3:08 PM, sidis said:

gotdayyum! that is some of the finest ass a fellow could hope to run across

I did not know season 2 was out until I saw this bumped, thanks

Haven't gone through the thread in fear of spoilers but the town where Acosta was chilling in the late episode looks beautiful. I loved that part of Mexico 

Trying to figure out where that is. Mimi’s ranch was about 15 miles southwest of Lajitas near San Carlos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 9:11 PM, Zepol87 said:

Haven't gone through the thread in fear of spoilers but the town where Acosta was chilling in the late episode looks beautiful. I loved that part of Mexico 

I'll take my inlaws' place in Guanajuato about an hour outside of Querétaro. Still has mountains and bluffs, but the cartels aren't endemic yet.

On 2/16/2020 at 2:13 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Had to google it, true story. 12 yo Maid. The Salinas family had no idea her last name or where she was from. High quality people 

https://frankreport.com/2018/02/04/murderous-carlos-salinas-reportedly-killed-his-first-victim-when-he-was-four/

carlos Salinas and his family were a special kind of garbage. They would make an interesting Netflix series 

Watch the documentary "1994" about his would be PRI successor, Colosio, on Netflix. Salinas is interviewed extensively. Came off as a piece of shit who most likely led the conspiracy to assassinate Colosio.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

Assuming this was somewhere near Ojinaga. Pablo was killed in a small village Called Santa Elena just across the Rio from Western Big Bend NP. Imagine if you wear camping in the Cottonwood campgrounds and helicopters started landing nearby.

I'll take my inlaws' place in Guanajuato about an hour outside of Querétaro. Still has mountains and bluffs, but the cartels aren't endemic yet.

Always wanted to visit there. Shit starting to get crazy there too. World Rally Championship is there in a couple of weeks.

https://apnews.com/4a77acc65e8d2bdf0c03c020b3c17848

On 2/28/2020 at 6:48 AM, Lat22 said:

We used to go there all of the time when we were kids.  We'd just drive across and park out front. 

Kind of crazy to think how normal it was to drive across the border and cruise around in Mexico. The last time I was in a border town was Matamoros about 16 years ago before shit started to hit the fan and even then things were getting sketchy.

Kind of crazy to think how normal it was to drive across the border and cruise around in Mexico. The last time I was in a border town was Matamoros about 16 years ago before shit started to hit the fan and even then things were getting sketchy.

9/11 2001 is when things changed. Especially in the Lajitas and Paso Lajitas area.
We started going to the area not long after Pablo was killed and would cross the river to ride to San Carlos on our mountain bikes. We would eat lunch there and ride back. Portions of the ride went through Mimi’s ranch. There is a cool waterfall on her property. I think she worked at the Lajitas trading post for a while before it was sold.

On 3/2/2020 at 5:32 PM, kevwun said:

I didn't think it was as good as the first season of Mexico because it felt rushed to me.  Still good though.  Anyone have any recs on books about the history of the Mexican cartels?

Not a book, but for an interesting look at the cartel life, check out Narco Cultura on Amazon prime. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Has anyone watched The Last Narc on Amazon Prime?  I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but holy shit, they have what seem like some fairly heavy hitters backing up the possible CIA involvement in the torture/assassination of Kiki Camerena.  One would think that they wouldn't attach their names to something like this without a very firm belief.

It's only a four part documentary that runs less than four hours.  They have interviews with the people that were supposedly involved with the kidnapping and torture.

And I guess I should have searched more...already in the Prime recommendations.

Edited by Catpfish

20 hours ago, Catpfish said:

Has anyone watched The Last Narc on Amazon Prime?  I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but holy shit, they have what seem like some fairly heavy hitters backing up the possible CIA involvement in the torture/assassination of Kiki Camerena.  One would think that they wouldn't attach their names to something like this without a very firm belief.

It's only a four part documentary that runs less than four hours.  They have interviews with the people that were supposedly involved with the kidnapping and torture.

And I guess I should have searched more...already in the Prime recommendations.

Yes. It's excellent. 

• 9 months later...