Narcos: Mexico

thepop

There are tons of El Chapo documentaries / stories already on Netflix...there were so many trending back when he was escaping.

Great season....Walt was awesome as usual, having to watch his struggle and missing out on captures (again) sucks.  Fuck that job.

The missing women of Juarez was well done, but it was frustrating watching the cop mumble and track down the "killer".

La Voz group got a lot of screen time I didnt like, but it eventually paid off.  I didn't know about the Rebollo stuff, but suspected him...bc almost everyone w power in MX has some corruption in them.

The whole show I am thinking how wild it is that these drug dealers could track down people when they wanted...this was way before internet, smart phones, tech, etc.  But somehow they have informants everywhere that could tell them where someone is.  You would think it was easier to disappear back then.  

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Mayo’s story is pretty interesting and the actor portraying him is really good. I’d be very cool with a Mayo season and then chasing it with a Chapo going down season. 

Amado and Mayo were both outstanding characters.  Mayo in particular because he seemed like a perfectly normal, pretty good dude.  So much so it seemed out of character to me when he started burning people alive.

Both guys seemed inconsistent with the raging psychopaths that made up the rest of the crews.

In the finale, I wanted the cop to ask Victor, "What kind of man talks to the DEA?  No man.  No man at all."

I was rooting for Amado to get away. I’m sure the subtle wink at the end is being fiercely debated on message boards in Mexico. 

I heard a good podcast with a former drug dealer out of Detroit. He argued that getting out was the most dangerous part of the drug game. He said if you tell anyone your intentions there’s a target on your back. Your partners want to continue earning. The cops/politicians want to continue to get their payoffs. Prosecutors want someone to convict. 

On 11/12/2021 at 1:35 PM, kevwun said:

The missing girls of Juarez Has been a big deal for many years.  They made more of an effort this season to show how normal people are hurt by the cartels.

I understand that but that whole storyline felt out of place to me, I was thinking they were going to tie it into trafficking somehow to bring it all together. 

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The cop storyline would’ve been better if the writers had him do something other than clench his jaw and blink his bug eyes. At the end when he had an actual conversation with his wife, he was somewhat an engaging character for the first time. Then he’s dead 10 minutes later.

He has a weird tick with his lips too. The actor made some odd choices. 

• 5 weeks later...

I've been stuck in Covid quarantine this week and binged all three seasons. Fantastic show. Is there really not going to be a season about Chapo? That's some bullshit.

On 11/10/2021 at 1:26 PM, pepper brooks said:

The journalist senorita makes this season all worth it.  mucha fuega

She has an Aubrey Plaza thing going. I'm a big Aubrey Plaza fan.

• Hook 'Em 2

No Narcos Mexico S4 but the same team is moving on to the story of a Columbian drug lord known as the Black Widow, Griselda Blanco.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/sofia-vergara-griselda-limited-series-netflix-narcos-1235041712/#!

In her first role since wrapping Modern Family, Vergara will be making a dramatic turn to play Griselda Blanco, the Colombian drug lord widely known as the “Black Widow,” for a six-episode limited series at Netflix titled Griselda. Vergara will also executive produce.

Griselda is the latest series from writer and executive producer Eric Newman under his overall deal at the streaming giant. Newman, who served as showrunner for five seasons of Narcos and Narcos: Mexico, remains an executive producer on the forthcoming third season of Narcos: Mexico. Doug Miro, Andrés Baiz and Carlo Bernard, who are all part of the Narcos creative team, will executive produce alongside Luis Balaguer; Baiz, a Colombia native, will direct all six episodes. Ingrid Escajeda (Justified, Empire) serves as showrunner.

Despite having the Narcos team attached, Netflix stresses that the series is not a spinoff from its popular drug cartel drama. (Any connection to the Narcos franchise would likely have elevated the costs of making Griselda.) The Colombia-born Vergara and Balaguer had been developing the project for eight years at their Latin World Entertainment banner before bringing it to Netflix. “Griselda Blanco was a larger-than-life character whose ruthless but ingenious tactics allowed her to rule a billion-dollar empire years before many of the most notorious male kingpins we know so much about,” says Vergara. “We are thrilled to have found the perfect partners in Eric, Andrés and Netflix to help us bring this story of her life to the screen.”

Newman adds, “Griselda Blanco has long been a passion project for Sofia, and we are grateful that she and her partners at LatinWe have chosen us to help her tell that story. Sofia is a brilliant talent and her passion combined with a fantastic story from Doug and Ingrid, and the amazing Andrés Baiz at the directing helm, means we have a very exciting series to share with audiences.”

Despite her proximity to Pablo Escobar and the Medellín cartel, Blanco was never a featured character on Narcos. The female narco — who went by the names the Black Widow, La Madrina and the Cocaine Godmother — was one of the most powerful cocaine traffickers in the 1980s and a key figure in Miami’s drug wars. Her story has previously been told on the screen, including in the 2017 film Cocaine Godmother where she was portrayed by Catherine Zeta-Jones. Jennifer Lopez is also developing a Griselda Blanco project with STX Films called The Godmother.

The logline from Netflix reads: “Griselda chronicles the real-life of savvy and ambitious Colombian businesswoman Griselda Blanco, who created one of the most profitable cartels in history. A devoted mother, Blanco’s lethal blend of charm and unsuspecting savagery helped her expertly navigate between family and business leading her to become widely known as the Black Widow.”

Newman originated and brought the Narcos franchise to Netflix in 2014. In addition to being EP on the final season of Narcos: Mexico, which releases this week, his TV slate at the streamer includes the upcoming limited series True Story, starring and executive produced by Kevin Hart, the opioid TV drama Painkiller and The Watcher with Ryan Murphy. On the film side, he is in production on his third Netflix film, Escape From Spiderhead; and in pre-production on Zack Snyder’s Rebel Moon and a sequel to Bright. Also in the works is The Upper World starring Daniel Kaluuya.

“Eric Newman has deftly brought to life among the most dynamic characters and stories on screen today. We’re excited to continue on this creative path with him and for this collaboration with Sofia Vergara — a force in entertainment and a world-beloved talent. With an incredible team at the helm — we can’t wait for the world to see how Ingrid Escajeda, Doug Miro and Andrés Baiz take on the twists and turns of Griselda Blanco’s epic story,” says Peter Friedlander, vp scripted series at Netflix.

Vergara, who recently ended her run on the five-time Emmy Award-winning ABC comedy Modern Family, also recently wrapped her second season as a judge on NBC’s America’s Got Talent. Her film credits include Bottom of the 9th, opposite partner Joe Manganiello, New Year’s Eve, Four Brothers, Chef, Big Trouble and Hot Pursuit, the latter of which Vergara also produced.

• Like 1

In her first role since wrapping Modern Family, Vergara will be making a dramatic turn to play Griselda Blanco,

Her story has previously been told on the screen, including in the 2017 film Cocaine Godmother where she was portrayed by Catherine Zeta-Jones. Jennifer Lopez is also developing a Griselda Blanco project with STX Films called The Godmother.

One of these things is not like the others

Griselda-Blanco.jpg

Catherine-Zeta-Jones.jpg

Sofia-Vergara.jpg

jlo.jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/8/2022 at 11:13 PM, Chopper said:

No Narcos Mexico S4 but the same team is moving on to the story of a Columbian drug lord known as the Black Widow, Griselda Blanco.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/sofia-vergara-griselda-limited-series-netflix-narcos-1235041712/#!

On 1/8/2022 at 11:41 PM, veritas aequitas said:

One of these things is not like the others

Griselda-Blanco.jpg

Catherine-Zeta-Jones.jpg

Sofia-Vergara.jpg

jlo.jpg

I'm halfway thru this and it's pretty damn good. They've done a lot to make her not look like the statuesque Columbian goddess she is with fake chompers and other prosthetics, but there's only so much damage you can do to that woman. Her hotness is still a topic in the plot but I'll allow it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

I liked Queen of the South better.  Griselda, aside from the looks department, is a lot closer to reality.  She was an evil, evil woman and had many people killed (she was actually feared by some of the Colombian drug lords including Pablo).  She is not the likeable character that Teresita was.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/29/2024 at 9:49 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

I'm halfway thru this and it's pretty damn good. They've done a lot to make her not look like the statuesque Columbian goddess she is with fake chompers and other prosthetics, but there's only so much damage you can do to that woman. Her hotness is still a topic in the plot but I'll allow it. 

Cool.  As a Narcos superfan, I'll have to give this a shot.

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm mulling El Chapo on Netflix. It is in the same quality ballpark as Narcos Mexico? 

No, it's not terrible, but don't expect Narco production. I stopped watching towards the end of the series. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm mulling El Chapo on Netflix. It is in the same quality ballpark as Narcos Mexico? 

17 minutes ago, Dewey said:

No, it's not terrible, but don't expect Narco production. I stopped watching towards the end of the series. 

Agreed. I didn't finish it, but I liked it. Not Narcos level, but decent. I'll circle back one of these days 

On 1/29/2024 at 9:49 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

Was that her side boob in that semi-nude sex scene?