Narcos: Mexico

thepop

On 11/19/2018 at 5:47 AM, RPM said:

To all the Michael Pena haters out there (you know who you are), fuck you. The dude does not get the credit he deserves. Hope he scores some awards for this because he is giving a helluva performance.

I'd never heard of him until this show (that know of)... just looked him up and saw he played Kiki. He was the worst actor on the show.

• Like 2

i watched this season first and then went back and watched the first season. Mexico was much better. Pablo seemed more cartoonish than real and we never really got to know any of the other characters. Character development in Mexico was deep and authentic. I really enjoyed it. It also had a much grittier feel to it. 

3 minutes ago, naija said:

Pablo Escobar was cartoonish and Rafa was realistic? Interesting take

i guess i just liked the way they told the characters' stories better in Mexico. i felt like the development was stronger and deeper. i just felt like they glossed over so much in the first season with respect to all characters not named pablo and the white dea agent. but even pablo seemed like a guy who walked funny while smiling in a goofy way and feeling rejected because he couldnt become presidente. it wasnt bad. it just didnt get into the detail that mexico did. 

46 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i guess i just liked the way they told the characters' stories better in Mexico. i felt like the development was stronger and deeper. i just felt like they glossed over so much in the first season with respect to all characters not named pablo and the white dea agent. but even pablo seemed like a guy who walked funny while smiling in a goofy way and feeling rejected because he couldnt become presidente. it wasnt bad. it just didnt get into the detail that mexico did. 

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call Pablo "cartoonish", but the Pablo stuff and storytelling in seasons 1-2 was definitely told in a more "stylistic" way, if that makes sense.  Don't get me wrong -- I found it WILDLY entertaining, but yeah... it wasn't nearly as good as a self-contained piece of TV work (or filmmaking or whatever we're calling what Netflix does) as Narcos: Mexico.

I think this was EASILY the best season to date in terms of just all-the-way around quality, from the writing to the acting to the directing, etc.

23 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call Pablo "cartoonish", but the Pablo stuff and storytelling in seasons 1-2 was definitely told in a more "stylistic" way, if that makes sense.  Don't get me wrong -- I found it WILDLY entertaining, but yeah... it wasn't nearly as good as a self-contained piece of TV work (or filmmaking or whatever we're calling what Netflix does) as Narcos: Mexico.

I think this was EASILY the best season to date in terms of just all-the-way around quality, from the writing to the acting to the directing, etc.

agreed.

finished it earlier this week, loved it. i think the first two were better, or at least because i was more aware of pablo/lehder and the medellin cartel but i really really enjoyed this one. just a matter of when it starts to venture into chapo territory even though there's a plethora of shows on him. 

can't wait for season 5

Edited by Mez2

11 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I wish when they were focusing on Medellin they would have put more time into Lehder.  And also Griselda Blanco and the cocaine cowboys of south Florida.  Maybe they will do Griselda and such down the road.  

A Blana storyline focused season would kick so much ass.

On 12/1/2018 at 1:22 AM, RPM said:

The next one has to be on El Chapo.

Seems like based on the end of this season, they are going to be covering Operation Leyenda and the escalation of the drug war. But yeah I could see them starting with that and then skipping forward in time to cover El Chapo.

I always struggle with looking up these Narcos characters mid season versus not "spoiling" the show.  One thing I thought interesting this season was Diego Luna's portrayal of Felix, as maybe not starting out super ruthless, seeming at time thoughtful/vulnerable/even maybe sensitive?   Obviously by the end of the season he's in full drug lord mode, but is that something true to the historical character?

19 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I always struggle with looking up these Narcos characters mid season versus not "spoiling" the show.  One thing I thought interesting this season was Diego Luna's portrayal of Felix, as maybe not starting out super ruthless, seeming at time thoughtful/vulnerable/even maybe sensitive?   Obviously by the end of the season he's in full drug lord mode, but is that something true to the historical character?

I know very little about him, but I believe his mo was a bad deal is better than violence. That said he is a drug lord so

• 2 weeks later...