Austin City Limits Music Festival 2019

South Austin

7 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I go to 50 or so shows a year and they managed to put a lineup together where I'd pay to see 2 or 3.  Easy pass for me this year.  Kind of expected after how great last year was.

Yeah probably gonna save money this year. Moving to Fort Worth in the fall and this lineup just isn’t worth coming down for it for the weekend. Too bad. 

i'm fucking old or something.  don't recognize a single thing below the purple stripe.

gnr i guess for a box-checking exercise.  gc jr should be awesome.  if mumford plays their five good songs, that's okay.  

not one other thing on there that has me remotely excited.  which sucks, because the wife is determined to go this year.

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm probably most excited by The Cure, and they're really old.  Saw them at ACL several years ago, and this weekend on the RnR HOF induction ceremonies.  At this point, Robert Smith is starting to look like Mrs. Doubtfire.  Pass.

i'm going just to hear them sing this song live.  

I saw the Cure at the FEC a few years back. They were fantastic. I don't want to see them in a festival setting. I also saw GNR at the FEC on the Use Your Illusion tour. That was enough.  

Usually I get my money's worth on the down bill. There's literally no one listed in small print I would want to see other than Otis the Destroyer who I can see anytime in a much better setting. 

24 minutes ago, MAROON said:

full concert from 2013 ACL. I was there and they were fun.

Were you there the night of the torrential downpour or the other show?  We got soaked.  My most vivid memory was walking with my wife and 2 of our kids in the rain to Magnolia Cafe, which was approximately halfway to our car that was parked approximately in Lago Vista, and thinking "a beer sounds good but a hot cup of black coffee sounds way better".  

Guest Lobo

Not enough "If you don't know Billie Ellish or Robyn...you know nothing about good music" posts on this thread.  

It's cliche, but this may be the year with the fewest bands I recognize.  Recently found out our conference will not be held in conjunction with the West Virginia game, so I guess I'll try to go the first weekend.  Not worth missing an OU game over though, that much I know.

15 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I think this is only for GA+ tix, not regular GA. Haven’t looked up what the difference is, I just saw people other places already freaking out but realizing that there are still tix available 

I think there's a covered area you can get drinks from and watch concerts, free water and soda and air conditioned bathroom. Basically like a mini-vip. Also it's twice the price.

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

Not enough "If you don't know Billie Ellish or Robyn...you know nothing about good music" posts on this thread.  

It's cliche, but this may be the year with the fewest bands I recognize.  Recently found out our conference will not be held in conjunction with the West Virginia game, so I guess I'll try to go the first weekend.  Not worth missing an OU game over though, that much I know.

wife just started listening to Billie Ellish. She's not bad, but I was super surprised to see her as a headliner . Never heard of Robyn but I also don't keep up with all these up and coming bands from other countries.

Oh well, I'll be there for 'bino, GCjr, RL Grime and Denzel Curry. 

Guns and Roses???

I get they were big back in my high school days in the late 80's...  But since then?  They are not like Metallica who has a cross generational fan base and their music to be honest is nothing but filler music for athletic events or some other function where you need a lot of noise.

ACL could have done better finding a metal/hard rock band from that era to fill that slot if that is who they were targeting.

4 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Guns and Roses???

I get they were big back in my high school days in the late 80's...  But since then?  They are not like Metallica who has a cross generational fan base and their music to be honest is nothing but filler music for athletic events or some other function where you need a lot of noise.

ACL could have done better finding a metal/hard rock band from that era to fill that slot if that is who they were targeting.

Lol wut? Yeah, they don't have as much of a cross generational fan base as Metallica, sure, but they do have a cross generational fan base.  My ex-gf didn't listen to any music at all from that genre but loved going to see GNR and there are a lot of younger people from my generation like that. And their music is just filler for athletic events?  Have you heard anything past the first 3 singles from Appetite for Destruction?

I'm a die-hard GNR fan so I may be a little biased here, if that's not your thing, that's cool.  But what other metal/hard rock band from that era could they have brought who would have been more appealing? I literally can't think of a single metal/hard rock band from that era that has more cross generational appeal than Metallica. 

7 minutes ago, justinjc7 said:

Lol wut? Yeah, they don't have as much of a cross generational fan base as Metallica, sure, but they do have a cross generational fan base.  My ex-gf didn't listen to any music at all from that genre but loved going to see GNR and there are a lot of younger people from my generation like that. And their music is just filler for athletic events?  Have you heard anything past the first 3 singles from Appetite for Destruction?

I'm a die-hard GNR fan so I may be a little biased here, if that's not your thing, that's cool.  But what other metal/hard rock band from that era could they have brought who would have been more appealing? I literally can't think of a single metal/hard rock band from that era that has more cross generational appeal than Metallica. 

Ok. I guess I was never really a hardcore GNR fan even back when I was high school when you couldn't turn on any rock or top 40 FM station and not have it blast through your speakers in your car.   You caught me now slap me silly.  

The only hit I can stand to listen from GNR even today is Knocking on Heaven's Door....  Sue me, have be beheaded and dump my body in the Great Barrier Reef.

5 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Ok. I guess I was never really a hardcore GNR fan even back when I was high school when you couldn't turn on any rock or top 40 FM station and not have it blast through your speakers in your car.   You caught me now slap me silly.  

The only hit I can stand to listen from GNR even today is Knocking on Heaven's Door....  Sue me, have be beheaded and dump my body in the Great Barrier Reef.

Shame!! Haha nah I know they are probably not for everybody but if they are looking for another 80s hard rock/heavy metal band for one of those headliner spots (which I am a huge fan of them doing considering the type of music I love), I don't see any band bigger than GNR or Metallica that they can possibly choose?  Black Sabbath isn't together anymore.  Motley Crue?  Poison? Whitesnake?  Judas Priest?  I'd love those, hell I'd love to see LA Guns headline but no one from that era is going to pull more than Metallica and Guns N Roses. 

15 minutes ago, justinjc7 said:

Shame!! Haha nah I know they are probably not for everybody but if they are looking for another 80s hard rock/heavy metal band for one of those headliner spots (which I am a huge fan of them doing considering the type of music I love), I don't see any band bigger than GNR or Metallica that they can possibly choose?  Black Sabbath isn't together anymore.  Motley Crue?  Poison? Whitesnake?  Judas Priest?  I'd love those, hell I'd love to see LA Guns headline but no one from that era is going to pull more than Metallica and Guns N Roses. 

Those you named would be fantastic if some were still around.  Def Leopard, Van Halen???     I could probably think of a few more.

5 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Those you named would be fantastic if some were still around.  Def Leopard, Van Halen???     I could probably think of a few more.

Those would be great as well.  I love Def Leppard but unfortunately Joe Elliot's voice is pretty shot at this point.  Van Halen would be fuckin fantastic, I'd rather see them than GNR to be honest but in my experience, as someone who was born in 91 after the heyday of all of these bands, people of my generation gravitate more to GNR and Metallica than any of those others. But as someone of my generation who loves 80s hard rock and heavy metal and has never been to ACL because most of the acts typically aren't my usual cup of tea, I love seeing them add bands like Metallica and GNR.

I really wanna see Tyler Childers and Gary Clark Jr as well, this may have to be the 1st year I finally get my ass out there.   

2 hours ago, Viper said:

wife just started listening to Billie Ellish. She's not bad, but I was super surprised to see her as a headliner .

She's probably the biggest thing in music in the past year or so.  She's not really played on the radio but has had an absolutely massive following. She has selling out pretty large venues before even releasing her album.  Also, most of her fans are probably under 21 so it's not surprising when old dudes haven't heard of her.  I only did because that Bitches Broken Heart song was played on XM Chill a lot. 

37 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

She's probably the biggest thing in music in the past year or so.  She's not really played on the radio but has had an absolutely massive following. She has selling out pretty large venues before even releasing her album.  Also, most of her fans are probably under 21 so it's not surprising when old dudes haven't heard of her.  I only did because that Bitches Broken Heart song was played on XM Chill a lot. 

she's also like 17.  my 7 year old is a fan.  better than most of the stuff my kids are into right now.