Austin City Limits Music Festival 2019

South Austin

So my daughter, who had previously decided not to go, was asked by some friends to go on Sat/Sun Weekend 1.  Sunday is available for $105.  Saturday is sold out.  3-days are sold out.

What's my strategy here?  I'm thinking jump on the Sunday ticket ($105) through ACL and then try to finesse a Saturday ticket later, since right now those are $220 through resale.  (Weekend 1 resale is $445, so that seems a non-starter since she can't go Friday.)

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

There’s always plenty the week of. I’d wait. 

Wait for the Sunday ticket too?  $105 seems pretty low-risk.  (I can't believe I'm even considering $105 for a lineup like that, but I'm not a teenager.  I seriously think the only 2 artists I'd care to see are Kacey Musgraves and Lizzo.)

• 1 month later...

Is that the Kirk Watson parks deal?   I’d be interested.  Are they considered tax deductible?   I can’t believe I may have to buy my own tickets this year, thanks a lot Obama!

Nope, that ticket type is a waste.  As is VIP really.   Used to be good when you had a clear line to some of the stages. Now it’s just this stuffed area away from almost all the music with some free booze with long lines for an extra $500.  

The badge that gets you a golf cart to zip from stage to stage seems worth it though.  

I have NEVER had a problem finding tickets, but I am patient and smart.  Last year my daughter was crying that she didn't have a ticket to go with her friends and online they were double the cost.  I went down about 9 am, took my mountain bike, rode around and found he a ticket below face in about an hour.  THen I gave the kids my premium parking spot.

I might end up going, but as many have said the lineup is somewhat underwhelming.  I love going the first Friday as everything is still fresh and green, and the crowds really descend on Saturday.  I also used to like to get VIP tix on Sundays cheap as the true VIP is pretty partied out by Sunday.  But with all the credit card linking, it may not be as clean/easy a deal as it used to be. The main thing for me is the wife simply isn't interested in fighting the crowds, so I usually go last minute with friends.

I just bought some Gary Clark Jr, tix for Thursday and I am pumped.  Only Austin guitar god I never got to see on a small stage, as I was too busy coaching two soccer teams for my daughters.  Should be a great show with Jackie Venson opening.  

I think muggy, soupy malaria might be the issue this weekend as opposed to dust bowl conditions.  

Having said that, I changed in my W1 wristband for a W2 band.  Will probably miss the OU game, but I suspect we will meet them again in Arlington later this Autumn and W2 looks so much better as far as weather and music go.  

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

I think muggy, soupy malaria might be the issue this weekend as opposed to dust bowl conditions.  

Having said that, I changed in my W1 wristband for a W2 band.  Will probably miss the OU game, but I suspect we will meet them again in Arlington later this Autumn and W2 looks so much better as far as weather and music go.  

Watching the OU game in the beer tent at ACL is the next best thing to being at the game.  See you there.

Been looking for a reason to search the internet for a cheap band for Friday or Saturday, can't believe Tame Impala is only playing an hour when GnR is like 2 and a 1/2. I know they have a catalog, but fuck Tame Impala has 1.5 hour sets all over youtube at other festivals. I assume it's their choice.

Might look briefly for Saturday. Brittany Howard > Natalia Lafourcade > Gary Clark>drunkenly scout the talent at Childish or The Cure and pretend to care....... could be a day.

The Austin High band will be offering ACL parking at Austin High this Saturday for $40 per car.  You can park in the west teacher lot or the east student lot.  All funds will be used to support the band students.

For those that do not know, Austin High is on the north shore of the lake, across from ACL.  To get to Austin High, exit Cesar Chavez from Mopac and take the first right as you approach downtown.  To get to the festival from Austin High, walk down to the pedestrian bridge under Mopac, cross the lake, and then walk back to the festival site.

• Like 2

The Chevron on Lake Austin Blvd. charges $30.  Whoever closed down that Phillips 66 across the street could make thousands this weekend if they moved that fence, but I'm sure there's safety concerns.  None as significant though as those dipshits who park on the grass up and down Mopac.  

I stopped dealing with the parking hassles and just uber it.  I rarely care for the evening headliners, so I avoid most of the cluster fuck under the Mopac bridge catching a ride home, and if it's jammed then I just walk over to the El Arroyo area and call a car there.  And I don't have to worry about my level of alcohol consumption.

• Like 1

newly open salt Traders will let you park there (right by park entrance) for $50 I'm told.  That's as close as you're gonna get in this lifetime to the main gates, but I imagine it'll be filled up by 2:00p today.  

Holy shit! It was hot as fuck yesterday. I don't remember an ACL so hot, not even the dust bowl one I went to years back. I hated that they didn't have printed schedules this year. I took a picture of the schedule board they had tacked up to find the stages but my phone is slow out there and hard to see in the sun. Palm Springsteen was a blast and I can't believe how good a show GNR put on. Fucking blew me away. Slash is one talented  motherfucker. The heat sucked but it was all worth taking off work and sweating my ass off. 

Bad news is air temp is actually be a tad hotter today than yesterday.  Good news though is it'll be less humid.  

Downright offensive news:  the "breeze" is going to be 3mph, and coming from the Gulf so it won't do anything.  And zero cloud cover.  

Back to good news:   Tent manager says that extra staff is moving over to the Beer Hall tent because they know 2:30-6:00p, hottest part of the day is also TEX/WVU game, so they expect to be absolutely slammed but are staffing up proactively.  Forecast calls for very little cloud protection, but extreme beer consumption.

Sunday looks to be a repeat of today.  

Guns n' Roses sounded awesome from a distance last night.  Setlist looked pretty great, hope to see them live next weekend but I'm sure Axl will fuck something up and have to cancel.  I can't believe in this 'Woke' day and age they don't play "One in a Million" or "I Used to Love her (But I had to kIll her)"     

I thought Jai Wolf was excellent, GNR was just meh outside of Slash absolutely killing it (the cheesy graphics overlayed were laughable though).  Honestly didn’t catch many shows...and am sorta planning on camping out at the football beer hall all afternoon.  

A mix of getting old, spending most of my radio time listening to NPR or sports talk, and overall lack of enthusiasm for scoping out the lineup ahead of time...this is the most apathetic I’ve been about ACL in the 15 times I’ve gone.  

Last year I was blown away by ODESZA, Chrvches, and Paul of course...so my taste leans electronic but am always open for new stuff.  I guess the heat limited my motivation to walk around, but it’s still better than anything else I’d be doing so it’s always a good time.  

Anyone have any reviews/thoughts from yesterday on Black Pistol Fire or Tyler Childers?

Curious that nobody has chimed in on Thom Yorke.  Seems like most were at RL Grimes.