Nebraska: Honestly, it's not for everyone.

bolverk

Yes. That's their new tourism tagline.

NEBRASKA CITY — Nebraska’s new tourism marketing campaign concedes that the state is a bit boring, yet it hopes to lure travelers by highlighting that you can escape noisy cities and create your own fun.

“Nebraska Nice” is out. “Honestly, it’s not for everyone” is the new tagline in ads.

The new ad pitch, which leans on self-deprecating humor, was developed by a Colorado-based advertising agency, Vladimir Jones, after testing with out-of-staters likely to visit Nebraska.

“Lucky for you, there’s nothing to do here,” is the headline on one print advertisement that displays a smiling band of partygoers, floating down a Sand Hills stream in livestock tanks in the Nebraska-invented sport of “tanking.”

https://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/nebraska-s-new-tourism-pitch-honestly-it-s-not-for/article_4e7a5320-fe58-544a-b8ac-078e075fb3f8.html

Cabelas was purchased by BassPro, their offices in Sidney are shutting down.  So, really nothing to do in Nebraska, even their football team sucks.

Well shit.

Been years since I was in Nebraska; drove through there on the way to Idaho and the only reason we drove through Nebraska was to stop at Cabelas.

15 hours ago, Digdogger said:

I had a good friend move to Nebraska, and raved about how friendly everyone is.  He got fed up with the city life and bought a nice little farm.  The first day he was out there the old farmer from next door came over to say hi.  He said the farmer was super friendly and nice.  The farmer him "We're having a party over at our place tonight.  It'll be a heck of good a time.  There'll be a little drinkin'.  A little fighitn'.  And a little fornicatin'."  My friend told him "well that sounds real nice mister, what time should I be there?"  And the old farmer said "Any time you'd like, it'll just be the two of us."  Just real good people.  He said it was a fun party.

So your friend got drunk then fought and fucked his neighbor?

Kinky

Edited by DigglerontheHoof

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Everyone says this about almost everywhere..."there isnt anything to do"...

No..they just suck or are too lazy to find them.

Personally, I can always find things to suggest, but the WOW things are few and far between in most places.  I’m pretty much in agreement with you, though. 

Floating the Niobrara River in Nebraska is actually a nice way to spend an afternoon. That whole Pine Ridge/Sandhills/Scottsbluff area of Nebraska is pretty. It may not have the WOW factor of some other places, but it’s a nice part of the country. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Cant spell Niobrara

10 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I've heard Omaha is actually pretty hip/cool with good food, nightlife, etc.

I was assigned to Offutt AFB in the '80s.  It wasn't hip or cool then.  Times change, so maybe it's different today.  They did have, however, a BBC strip club combo downtown (closed now).  You could eat decent brisket and take in the show.  

10 hours ago, Watashi said:

I was assigned to Offutt AFB in the '80s.  It wasn't hip or cool then.  Times change, so maybe it's different today.  They did have, however, a BBC strip club combo downtown (closed now).  You could eat decent brisket and take in the show.  

I don’t think BBC means what you think it means. 

• Like 4

I travel extensively to all parts of the country for my job. The Midwest is,  without a doubt, the biggest waste of space in America. There are the lakes, Chicago has good food and culture, and I have found some good bars in the most random of Midwest city’s, but every town has good bars if you look hard enough.  Outside of Chicago and a few spots among the lakes (looking at you Boundary Waters), I can’t think of a single other place in the Midwest I’d voluntarily travel to for a good time. 

Yeah, I tried to like Omaha the times I've been there for UT sports or once on business.  They're nice people but they kept insisting their handful of good restaurants and bars made them some kinda foodie destination city.  I just kept thinking, "You have a half million people here.  Any town with a half million people is gonna have some good restaurants and bars.  The marketplace makes sure of that."  Been to Lincoln once, never going back there again.  Again, super nice people.  Rest of the state is a shitheap and I've seen every corner of it---from Scottsbluff to Red Cloud to Fremont.  And oh yeah...spoiler alert---the fishing blows.  

And you really nice Nerbraskans---pro tip for you:  Quit saying it's a "Quiet, clean, family friendly place"   That's just bullshit code for "We don't have many minorities here."  That's all that is.  That's all you're really trying to say.  There's having pride in where you live and then there's this line of bullshit.  Next time I hear you say "Quiet, Clean, family friend place" to a non-white person, then I'll start to believe you...

I know brisket is still cool/hip; it must be the BBC that fell out of favor. Damn kids these days...

8 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I travel extensively to all parts of the country for my job. The Midwest is,  without a doubt, the biggest waste of space in America. There are the lakes, Chicago has good food and culture, and I have found some good bars in the most random of Midwest city’s, but every town has good bars if you look hard enough.  Outside of Chicago and a few spots among the lakes (looking at you Boundary Waters), I can’t think of a single other place in the Midwest I’d voluntarily travel to for a good time. 

Are you a Mormon or recovering alcoholic, or have you simply never been to Wisconsin? 

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I tried to like Omaha the times I've been there for UT sports or once on business.  They're nice people but they kept insisting their handful of good restaurants and bars made them some kinda foodie destination city.  I just kept thinking, "You have a half million people here.  Any town with a half million people is gonna have some good restaurants and bars.  The marketplace makes sure of that."  Been to Lincoln once, never going back there again.  Again, super nice people.  Rest of the state is a shitheap and I've seen every corner of it---from Scottsbluff to Red Cloud to Fremont.  And oh yeah...spoiler alert---the fishing blows.  

And you really nice Nerbraskans---pro tip for you:  Quit saying it's a "Quiet, clean, family friendly place"   That's just bullshit code for "We don't have many minorities here."  That's all that is.  That's all you're really trying to say.  There's having pride in where you live and then there's this line of bullshit.  Next time I hear you say "Quiet, Clean, family friend place" to a non-white person, then I'll start to believe you...

You can find anything if you’re looking for it. 

It is depressing that in Chicago, there aren't that many good looking women.  I mean, of course you'll see several in a given day there but then you remember---oh yeah, I'm in a metro area of about 10,000,000 people, of course I'm gonna see a couple dozen beautiful women.   But it's literally 1 or 2 an hour anywhere in that city.  Even a packed "hot" bar in Lincoln Park, you'll see a half dozen hot women in a bar of 150.  It's weird.  and I love my hometown.  

You really do not understand how blessed we are in Texas, particularly Austin to just have seas of gorgeous women around you at all times, no matter the season.

There was another "coolness" factor of Omaha back then, and Council Bluffs - horse and dog racing.  They had Aksarben (Nebraska spelled backwards) for the ponies and Iowa had greyhound racing.  In the midst of that was organized crime.  The KC mob controlled those rackets but the gang they put in charge of the metro Omaha area acted like Fredo.  Instead of just focusing on those "core businesses" they were always getting busted for roughing people up and consequently staying in the news.  But it proved entertaining, and something to keep up with, during the seemingly 8 freaking months of winter we "enjoyed."

6 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Are you a Mormon or recovering alcoholic, or have you simply never been to Wisconsin? 

Drank many a beers in Madison, Milwaukee, Appleton, and a few in Green Bay, Waupon, and some place called Stevenspoint?  Could’ve drank the same beers somewhere a lot more pleasant. 

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Chicago was cool and all but it’s full of ugly people, along with the rest of the Midwest. A hot girl is the exception. It was bewildering 

I was there a few weeks ago and went to a bar called The Game Room. I’ve never seen such a collection of talent on a random Thursday anywhere. Then you go on the street and it’s a boner wasteland.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:55 PM, Watashi said:

After this, I was all like:

giphy.gif

Waiting for these:

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:59 AM, honolulu horn said:

Kinky

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:09 AM, Your Mom said:

I don’t think BBC means what you think it means. 

21 hours ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

I know brisket is still cool/hip; it must be the BBC that fell out of favor. Damn kids these days...

16 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I think that’s the take in the show part. 

11 hours ago, Watashi said:

I knew I should have reviewed before posting...

4 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You mom knows.

I know, I know, but better late than never. 

4 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

I was there a few weeks ago and went to a bar called The Game Room. I’ve never seen such a collection of talent on a random Thursday anywhere. Then you go on the street and it’s a boner wasteland.

Does anyone remember that poster from hornfans who repeatedly claimed that the women in NYC were the hottest anywhere, but they could only be found in certain nightclubs? He never explained why they couldn’t be found the streets, just that you had to know where to find them. 

14 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Does anyone remember that poster from hornfans who repeatedly claimed that the women in NYC were the hottest anywhere, but they could only be found in certain nightclubs? He never explained why they couldn’t be found the streets, just that you had to know where to find them. 

Based on my experience, he’s full of shit. I’d like to know where these clubs are though. NYC has the advantage of hot tourists padding the numbers. I’d take a Texas/TCU tailgate any day.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 10:14 AM, Your Mom said:

If paddling Boundry Waters is your thing then look into trout fishing the Driftless Area.