BJ Foster, destructive back

Machinator

Somewhat lost among the deserved hype of Caden Sterns is the play of BJ Foster, who is wreaking havoc near the line of scrimmage. Foster is a true freshman, but he is already the best natural blitzer on this defense. GIFs courtesy of Ian Boyd.

Coming from the boundary side here, he crosses the face of the Baylor RT like it's child's play.

giphy.gif

His blitz here on the last drive of the Baylor game completely blew up the play.

giphy.gif

Even when he doesn't get home, the extra attention that blockers give him free up other players to win 1-on-1 matchups and disrupt the play. Omenihu easily beats his guy without any other obstacle because Foster is occupying the LG and RB here.

giphy.gif

Of course, his ability to shed or avoid blockers makes him valuable in playing the run as well...

He's still learning the nuances of coverage and pattern-matching, but his football instincts allow him to make plays even now.

This safety class is very, very special, and we haven't even seen what Overshown can do yet.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He's still learning the nuances of coverage and pattern-matching, but his football instincts allow him to make plays even now.

I do wonder why he and Jones have so much difficulty playing the ball in the air. Although to be fair to Foster it was just that one play I'm thinking of. Boggles the mind that the ball actually got to through cleanly to Morris's hands.

13 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

He makes hard hits look so damn easy.  He just stands there, lowers, his shoulders, and follows through.  He's going to hurt someone.  I'm just glad he has a Texas jersey on.

Even more telling is the instincts to try to get the ball immediately after delivering such a devastating hit, he didn't even think just pounced on it. 

He’s been an absolute stud and has made game changing plays in crucial moments.  While Sterns is a ball hawk, Foster compliments him with his physical play and elite ability to blitz.  The dude looks and hits like an NFL safety.  He may be pound for pound the best athlete on this team.  I’m going to enjoy the fuck out of watching these two 5 stars play for the next 2.5 years and we have yet to see Overshown play due to his injury.  

I just love how these two have already shown their ability in their very first games while 4.9 slo’neal is riding the bench on aggy’s terrible secondary.

Edited by victory88

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

He’s been an absolute stud and has made game changing plays in crucial moments.  While Sterns is a ball hawk, Foster compliments him with his physical play and elite ability to blitz.  The dude looks and hits like an NFL safety.  He may be pound for pound the best athlete on this team.  I’m going to enjoy the fuck out of watching these two 5 stars play for the next 2.5 years and we have yet to see Overshown play due to his injury.  

I just love how these two have already shown their ability in their very first games while 4.9 slo’neal is riding the bench on aggy’s terrible secondary.

Foster and Sterns are balling, but add in Overshown and Adeoye and we are going to have a really physical presence at LB/DB. It's gon be fun. 

21 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

What's the story with Jalen Green? I thought he was the most hyped DB of the class, but clearly BJ and Sterns are the ones killing it on the field this season.

Why does there have to be a story? We have 2 senior corners starting, so there’s less playing time available at that position. Also, I don’t remember him being the most hyped but I could be wrong. 

Sterns, Foster, Green, Cook, and Jamison will all be good.

24 minutes ago, thepop said:

Why does there have to be a story? We have 2 senior corners starting, so there’s less playing time available at that position. Also, I don’t remember him being the most hyped but I could be wrong. 

Sterns, Foster, Green, Cook, and Jamison will all be good.

I didn't mean anything negative about it, just wondering what the story was with Green. I thought he was the top-rated guy; maybe I'm wrong.

9 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

I didn't mean anything negative about it, just wondering what the story was with Green. I thought he was the top-rated guy; maybe I'm wrong.

He is.  From my memory, they were saying he'd need some development but the raw size and raw skill set is there.  Green dominated the 7 on 7 camps in high school.  Many coaches in Texas considered him the best CB in the class.  As far as CBs go, I be you we will see Boyce and Cook start next year with Green getting playing time backing them up.  We'll probably see Foster back at Safety and Overshown playing the joker and Thompson at nickel.  If that happens, that will be one fucking athlectic dime package.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, victory88 said:

He is.  From my memory, they were saying he'd need some development but the raw size and raw skill set is there.  Green dominated the 7 on 7 camps in high school.  Many coaches in Texas considered him the best CB in the class.  As far as CBs go, I be you we will see Boyce and Cook start next year with Green getting playing time backing them up.  We'll probably see Foster back at Safety and Overshown playing the joker and Thompson at nickel.  If that happens, that will be one fucking athlectic dime package.

This is right. He's the rawest of the group so they're easing him in via special teams while they teach him technique.

this last db class is seriously fucking loaded. the shit of it is they are all still learning and getting acclimated to college ball. I really love the addition of the joker position to the defense as it adds dimensionality and flexibility with a player that is suited to the position of a hybrid LB/S. they can disguise coverages in ways that were previously not possible because the joker can line up on the line and rush or maybe drop into coverage in the flats or take man coverage with someone. then line up with the linebackers and fly to the ball or drop back into deep coverage with their range. then line up as a short safety for similar responsibilities or a delayed rush. in the big 12, the passing game is the life blood of an offense (save for kansas state, which relies on black magic and enemas); i can see these DBs getting to the point where they nearly completely choke off opponents ability to breath through the air and have to try and run the ball.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

...responsibilities or a delayed rush. in the big 12, the passing game is the life blood of an offense (save for kansas state, which relies on black magic and enemas); i can see these DBs getting to the point where they nearly completely choke off opponents ability to breath through the air and have to try and run the ball.

I laughed.

Edited by Magus Ossis

16 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Future is really bright, boys. 

The great news is that is addition to our veterans and the 12 true freshmen who have already contributed, we have a few guys hurt or redshirting that have a bit of promise as well in Green, Overshown, Woodard, Adeoye, Coburn, Angilau, Epps, Rising, Thompson, Moore, Ghirmai, Ojomo, Vaughns, Williams, Carson, and Jones. I may be seeing too orange in light of our win streak, but the class of 2018 is looking to be a grand-slam home run based on the early returns.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

The great news is that is addition to our veterans and the 12 true freshmen who have already contributed, we have a few guys hurt or redshirting that have a bit of promise as well in Green, Overshown, Woodard, Adeoye, Coburn, Angilau, Epps, Rising, Thompson, Moore, Ghirmai, Ojomo, Vaughns, Williams, Carson, and Jones. I may be seeing too orange in light of our win streak, but the class of 2018 is looking to be a grand-slam home run based on the early returns.

I'm with you.  Most excited to see Overshown, Dele, Moore and Ojomo out of that group, but what incredible early returns, especially with Foster and Sterns. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 4:01 PM, pearlandhorn said:

He makes hard hits look so damn easy.  He just stands there, lowers, his shoulders, and follows through.  He's going to hurt someone.  I'm just glad he has a Texas jersey on.

Hes in the Zion Williamson "how old did you say he is?" tier of absurd athleticism.

• 5 weeks later...
This last play you can't really coach that you either have it or you don't.  That closing speed and explosion is elite.  This guy is going to be incredible to watch over the next couple years. 

I was impressed by the last play as it happened. At first I thought shit, dude is outside, next thing you know, foster put a pretty good lick on him.
  • Like 2

On 10/18/2018 at 11:49 PM, honolulu horn said:

What's the story with Jalen Green? I thought he was the most hyped DB of the class, but clearly BJ and Sterns are the ones killing it on the field this season.

I think one big difference if I am recalling this correctly is that Foster, Sterns, and Cook all enrolled early and got a lot more prep time versus Green who did not go that route.  

On 10/19/2018 at 11:15 AM, Magus Ossis said:

Absolutely, and I believe three/four classes in a row like this one or close to it and you realistically can compete for the whole thing.

2 hours ago, ApocalyseTexas said:

This last play you can't really coach that you either have it or you don't.  That closing speed and explosion is elite.  This guy is going to be incredible to watch over the next couple years. 

Yeah that play was awesome.  As good as Sterns is, especially early, I think Foster has more upside.  He is the type of player you can build a defense around and I can see him moving to linebacker next year.

29 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Yeah that play was awesome.  As good as Sterns is, especially early, I think Foster has more upside.  He is the type of player you can build a defense around and I can see him moving to linebacker next year.

It's going to be fascinating to see how Orlando utilizes Sterns, Foster, Jones, and Overshown. Their versatility is going to frustrate opposing offensive coordinators.

• 1 month later...