Running Alt-Right Thread of Mockery and Hypocrisy

bad_teammate

The MAGA world should fight back on this one though because we were told a lie about what actually happened. It was framed perfectly to personify current events when the facts seem to indicate a much different story. 

This is what you get with a board full of lawyers. What’s that saying about when the facts are in your favor?

The pushback on this board is largely by anti-MAGA folks. That should tell you something. The suggestion that advocating for the truth rather than ideologically driven lie is racially motivated is completely asinine.

The MAGA folks are the worst perpetrators of posting misleading videos used to paint the narrative they want.  

Im not saying the “resistance” should do it either but for every one anti-MAGA deceptive video, there’s 100 pro-MAGA deceptive videos.  

This is their wheelhouse so it’s kind of amusing seeing them cry foul. 

As for why so many people are willing to not trust their own eyes; why they’ll readily accept the MAGA teen’s shitty and unconvincing publicist-created explanation that he didn’t do anything wrong; why news organizations rolled back reporting based on little new evidence; and why so many people lashed themselves to the whipping post in the square and begged for forgiveness, the answer is, I think, simple: These people are willing to give the screaming mob of white teens the benefit of the doubt because it distinguishes them from the emotion-driven hordes. It’s something like virtue signaling, but instead of attempting to signal that they hold any type of moral or ethical principles, these people are attempting to show that they are willing to be chastened, and so are thoughtful. I can admit when I’m wrong, they say, so you can always trust me.

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/dont-doubt-what-you-saw-with-your-own-eyes-1831931203

Yeah, I know, Deadspin. But I agree with almost every word. 

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The MAGA folks are the worst perpetrators of posting misleading videos used to paint the narrative they want.  

Im not saying the “resistance” should do it either but for every one anti-MAGA deceptive video, there’s 100 pro-MAGA deceptive videos.  

This is their wheelhouse so it’s kind of amusing seeing them cry foul. 

I get it. I remember the tale of Shirley Sherrod and Garret Gilbert. But the great danger of Trumpism, more so than any cruelty or racism, is the complete erosion of the truth. The simple story that’s enraging is better than the mundane truth. This is the real fight.

2 minutes ago, Mole said:

I get it. I remember the tale of Shirley Sherrod and Garret Gilbert. But the great danger of Trumpism, more so than any cruelty or racism, is the complete erosion of the truth. The simple story that’s enraging is better than the mundane truth. This is the real fight.

Ideally people should train themselves to withhold judgment on the guerrilla social media videos until it is covered by a credible journalist that investigates and interviews the participants and witnesses involved.

But we know that shit isn’t going to happen.

I really hope all the schools sending their kids to DC take the time to coach them on what it's like being in a place like DC. If you walk around the memorials and the National Mall you're going to be around A LOT of people who are nothing like you. You've got the different flavors of human rights protesters from all over the world. Those people in the middle of the mall who talk to you about the Chinese gov't stealing people's organs, you've got professional trolls like the Black Israelites, you've got the roving recent-immigrant Africans with trash bags who see those groups of white kids and come over with the MAGA gear to sell them.

Spoiled white rich kids from a bubble need to be coached into how to deal with this stuff, and it's clear these kids weren't, because they handled it horribly. Their chaperones allowing them to chant at the Black Israelites is just insane. It's the Lincoln Memorial, for Christ's sake. You're a stone's throw away from the Korean and Vietnam War memorials. Why the hell are you jumping around? Why are you taking your shirt off? Arlington is right across the damned river.

Obviously the outrage is about more than the kid(s), it's about the whole thing they represent.

ugh

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

maybe the last sentence, but even then I don't disagree per se. I think that's a big part of it.

I'm not being sarcastic, I agree with his post about kids going to DC and the responsibilities of their guardians to prepare them for it and coach them.

Like I said before, if it's my kids, I'm saying "keep your head down, stay off the radar, don't engage with professional trolls/mentally ill, and be respectful"

D’oh my bad. misread the intent of your post.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

I really hope all the schools sending their kids to DC take the time to coach them on what it's like being in a place like DC. If you walk around the memorials and the National Mall you're going to be around A LOT of people who are nothing like you. You've got the different flavors of human rights protesters from all over the world. Those people in the middle of the mall who talk to you about the Chinese gov't stealing people's organs, you've got professional trolls like the Black Israelites, you've got the roving recent-immigrant Africans with trash bags who see those groups of white kids and come over with the MAGA gear to sell them.

Spoiled white rich kids from a bubble need to be coached into how to deal with this stuff, and it's clear these kids weren't, because they handled it horribly. Their chaperones allowing them to chant at the Black Israelites is just insane. It's the Lincoln Memorial, for Christ's sake. You're a stone's throw away from the Korean and Vietnam War memorials. Why the hell are you jumping around? Why are you taking your shirt off? Arlington is right across the damned river.

It’s been over 25 years, and we were just a filthy, peasant public high school, but when I was in high school, a bunch of us earned the money to do a tour of DC through the Close Up Foundation, and our sponsors had dress standards for us.   Nice pants, nice shoes, button-up shirts, etc.  We toured various memorials, we met our representative (Tom DeLay, LOL), we toured the WH, even met two ambassadors from South America.  

We were told very clearly not to be assholes towards anybody with differing views, and with the exception of the Smithsonian, and when we were back at our hotels, we always had adult supervision.  Our chaperones would not have let any of us put on Bush or Clinton hats or t-shirts.  

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They will always be made out to be ambiguous incidents.  

They even tried to make Charlottesville ambiguous and they were somewhat successful among the right.  ANTIFA!! 

They will try and make this ambitious, so that the media overlooks the school leadership and why a bunch of kids who couldn’t even vote and were ostensibly at a pro-life rally were decked out in Trump gear.  

Yeah, the kids were assholes, big surprise when you look up the makeup of that school, but there were adults running that show and allowing, or more likely encouraging, them to wear Trump gear.  Those adults wanted some kind of statement made somewhere around there.  

On 1/20/2019 at 2:46 PM, Buck Futter said:

White people are not allowed to have any sense of pride, community, or solidarity. Getting negged from Horn under a Bad Sign is the least of white people's concerns in this day and age. The truth is the new "hate speech".

White people need to humiliated and eliminated, because of....privilege or something.

Why would one choose to exhibit pride in being white as opposed to being Irish, Italian, German, Scottish, or any number of white ethnicities? The reason black americans group themselves, identify, and exhibit pride in their race is because (1) their historical treatment and shared cultural heritage in this country is solely due to their race, and (2) they can't pinpoint and link their specific ethnic heritage ( ie Yoruba, Igbo, Fulani, Ashanti, Baule, Akan, etc.) in any contemporarily tangible and cultural way. Their shared cultural heritage is specifically American and specifically as a result of being black. Have you seriously never considered the differences between the white and black experiences in America? Being white in America isn't a bonding experience or culturally shared phenomenon in anyway near what being black in america is. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I'd like to better understand Kentucky v Ohio.  How does the blending of Ohio vs Kentucky work near Cincinnati.  Is Cincinnati a bit Kentucky, or is that whole area basically Ohio, or is it gradient. 

13 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I work closely with a Cincinnati office and have been there on business several times (flying in and out of that airport).  It's actually a surprisingly interesting city.  But I don't know how much of that part of Kentucky is a blob of Ohio dominated Cincinnati, or if Kentucky and Ohio are "closer" than we might realize.  Before visiting there, I hadn't really thought of Kentucky and Ohio as being similar.

39748453_10112054523440270_4461778315333

My college girlfriend was a Cincinnati girl. I spent a lot of time up there in the early '90s. Back then, Covington was like Matamoros to C-town's Brownsville. The 'nati was very German and orderly, and then you'd cross the river and it was all "whiskey whiskey whiskey, girls girls girls!" And it was a very white kinda ghetto. There are a couple or three great episodes of COPS where it's like The Wire, but with all white people. 

A friend of mine once put it like this -- "Covington put the sin in Cincinnati." I hear now that it's changed. Gentrified. Probably some of those kids actually live on the Ohio side. And I've had some experience dealing with Clevelanders -- they regard Cincinnati as something like Mississippi, whereas as a kid, I regarded it as something like New York City. I mean, to me, it was so old-world cosmopolitan. There were even Hasidic Jews there! I'd never seen such a thing growing up in Houston and Nashville. (College gf was Jewish but very, very far from Hasidic.)

13 hours ago, David Dennison said:

What about tomahawk chops? Mocking traditional Native American dances? 

This was a perfect shitstorm of American heritage. Privileged white kids on a tear, inadequately supervised, and confronted by represenatives of our dual mortal sins -- slavery and ethnic cleansing. Yes, some of the white kids behaved terribly, but if you have raised a son, or if you have been a son, and a teenager, I defy you to tell me that you would not have clung to the rules of your tribe. What was Smirk Kid supposed to do? Have you ever had an elderly Native American chant in a strange language in your face while banging a drum? Were you a junior in high school when it happened? Have you ever even met a Native American activist? Coming on the heels of the taunting from the Black Hebrew Israelites, I can imagine a nervous smile would maybe be all that I could manage. Those kids were in over their heads in DC, and yes, the parents and chaperones, teachers, priests deserve so, so much of the blame for that. 

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

While yes, we should consider all evidence, and yes, this situation wasn't as simple and clear as it appeared at first, we also shouldn't dispense with common sense.  There's SOME common sense here (for example, everyone seems to agree that the black muslims israelites were nutbars starting shit).  But otherwise, some folks want to ditch it.  These are shitty entitled white kids, doing shitty entitled white kid stuff -- it's not terribly sophisticated, intelligent, or well-thought-out.  Doing a tomahawk chop at a native American is not exactly clever or witty.  It's just shitty.

And let's use our common sense.  I knew the kids whose parents said the N-word regularly, for example.  Of that  group of kids, I've kept up with some of them.  EVERY SINGLE ONE of them is a "build the wall" MAGA champion.  The correlation in my particular pool of acquaintance is 100% (ahh, FB, where you get to confirm that the kid from a racist family in 1988 turned out to be a racist too).  I knew these kids, and  kids like those in this video doing the tomahawk chop etc..  So did you.  Let's not kid ourselves about who they are, and who they're going to grow up to be.

As I said way, way upthread, I know people who were ardent Goldwater Republicans who have evolved. To believe that ALL of those kids will end up racist shitheads is just not viable. To some, this will be a turning point. Others will take longer to figure it out, and others, maybe the largest group, never will, but that's not an excuse for us to throw them all on the trash pile. Again, there are so many people on this very board who have talked about their own political evolutions. As for myself, back around 1990, when I was 20, I was an opponent of gay marriage, and then one time in a debate class, it fell to me to defend gay marriage against a dumbass right-wing chick who chose the topic because she thought it would be an easy one for her to "win." I totally wiped the floor with her with my arguments and in the process also convinced myself of the justice of my side of the argument at the same time. Point here is give young minds a chance to mature. 

11 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m a middle class white guy, I’ll call out the white trash MAGA fucks way before I rail against some black Hebrews.  

I’ll let the moderate Hebrews deal with cleaning the trash on their side.  

Us whites should focus on cleaning our own house before we go trying to clean up someone else’s shit. 

Malcolm X said similar things but the Black Hebrew Israelites are a hate group, pure and simple. Yeah, but we crackers should work on our racists first and foremost. 

7 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Obviously the outrage is about more than the kid(s), it's about the whole thing they represent.

ugh

The chaperones lost control. My whole thing, as the father of a 22-year-old son, and someone who remembers being a high school student, is to have mercy on the kids, for they know relatively little of what they do, and our society seems all too eager these days to toss them aside forever and ever for something they have done when their brains aren't even fully formed yet. 

• Like 3

So the timeline is this

Catholic kids are at DC during march

The Black Hebrew Isrialites where there and started showing at them calling them "gags", "counts", and called a black kid a "n****r" and they were going to take out his organs.

The Catholic kids ask a teacher if they can do a chant which they begin doing after they get the go ahead

Native people come in with drums to protect the BHI from kids and got in on Catholic kid's face

Catholic kid is staying calm and smiling cause he probably has never had a confrontation like this. The kids leave

Native man get on news and says the Catholics started it, and Twitter makes it even worse by doxxing the kids and their families.

Is that about right?

Edited by workswithseed

Can't believe kids publicly supporting a guy who incites violence at his rallies, calls for the execution of innocent black teenagers, thinks there are some very fine white supremists, encourges police to rough up those they've arrested, fantasizes about shooting people wthout losing his supporters, continues to refer to the free press, the target of his supporter's bomb threats, as Enemy of the People, etc... were involved in this altercation. If they're receiving death threats, the assholes sending them need to stop. In the meantime, maybe Christine Blasey Ford or Sandy Hook parents can give them some pointers on going into hiding.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If my kids were taking their shirts off and screaming at the Lincoln Memorial and shouting at girls by the Vietnam Memorial, I'd feel like a failure as a parent.

That was the most bizarre part for me aside from the confrontation. It's MLK weekend and you're doing loud wild chants at the base of the LM? A large group of private school white kids wearing MAGA hats? That was a disgusting display regardless of the confrontation. 

3 hours ago, workswithseed said:

So the timeline is this

The Black Hebrew Isrialites where there and started showing at them calling them "gags", "counts", and called a black kid a "n****r" and they were going to take out his organs.

The Catholic kids ask a teacher if they can do a chant which they begin doing after they get the go ahead

Native people come in with drums to protect the BHI from kids and got in on Catholic kid's face

Catholic kid is staying calm and smiling cause he probably has never had a confrontation like this. The kids leave

Native man get on news and says the Catholics started it, and Twitter makes it even worse by doxxing the kids and their families.

Is that about right?

Mmm... add more tension to the plight and danger the Catholic kids were in. Show don't tell... the bravery of smiling kid. Otherwise you got the outline of a good short story. 

3 hours ago, workswithseed said:

So the timeline is this

Is that about right?

You forgot about the part where they were yelling at a group of girls near the Vietnam memorial 

10 hours ago, Tribe171 said:

Are you actually supplying an 8 second video framed at the very end of a confrontation as proof of malicious intent by the teenage students? Did you not learn a lesson this weekend about selectively framed videos?

lol fuck off racist chud

4 hours ago, workswithseed said:

So the timeline is this

Is that about right?

This is just such an hilarious stupid lie. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Or....Nathan Phillips is a liar. Which looks to, also, be the case irrespective of whether the above is or isn’t an hilarious stupid lie.

Actually the truth is, as it always is, a little from column A and a little from column.

Nonresponsive.

16 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The reason I've been so focused on this particular incident is because through a wider lens it highlights the current and future problems we have as a society. 

Here's the argument - The Covington kids were acting like obnoxious, entitled shitheads. Period.  But hours after the incident, the main kid's parent's use a high end PR firm from Louisville (with GOP ties) to release a statement, and just like that the media apologizes to the the Covington kids? FUCK THAT. 

Yes, the extreme left is absolutely wrong to doxx any of these kids, and the school shouldn't be closed today because of security threats.  That is bad. But that does NOT ABSOLVE THE BEHAVIOR of these MAGA kids. Yet, the Trumpkin argument has been framed.  These kids are completely innocent! Their behavior/reaction should be COMMENDED! The elder is a bad guy!

FUCK YOU.

The right is completely gaslighting. They've spun a MORAL argument in to a legal argument in some way. "The elder misrepresented what took place! Let's completely ignore what we see with our actual eyes and exonerate the kids over some bullshit technicality!"

Looking at the broader picture: do you not see the problem with a large group of white, Catholic private school, privileged Trump supporters becoming HEROES for the way they acted in those videos?  Are you fucking kidding me? Has the world gone completely insane?  What the media and general, disinterested public is allowing is this: Any time a Trumpkin gets caught doing something shitty, we need to treat them as innocent until proven guilty, and "wait for all the facts to come out". There will be no timestamp on fact gathering. The right will just gaslight until the controversy goes away. If we continue to allow this bullshit the eventual result will be the normalization of ignorance/bigotry, and Trumpism takes over.

This really stands out to me. Who the fuck has PR firms on speed dial that they can hire on a weekend?

23 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The reason I've been so focused on this particular incident is because through a wider lens it highlights the current and future problems we have as a society. 

Here's the argument - The Covington kids were acting like obnoxious, entitled shitheads. Period.  But hours after the incident, the main kid's parent's use a high end PR firm from Louisville (with GOP ties) to release a statement, and just like that the media apologizes to the the Covington kids? FUCK THAT. 

Yes, the extreme left is absolutely wrong to doxx any of these kids, and the school shouldn't be closed today because of security threats.  That is bad. But that does NOT ABSOLVE THE BEHAVIOR of these MAGA kids. Yet, the Trumpkin argument has been framed.  These kids are completely innocent! Their behavior/reaction should be COMMENDED! The elder is a bad guy!

FUCK YOU.

The right is completely gaslighting. They've spun a MORAL argument in to a legal argument in some way. "The elder misrepresented what took place! Let's completely ignore what we see with our actual eyes and exonerate the kids over some bullshit technicality!"

Looking at the broader picture: do you not see the problem with a large group of white, Catholic private school, privileged Trump supporters becoming HEROES for the way they acted in those videos?  Are you fucking kidding me? Has the world gone completely insane?  What the media and general, disinterested public is allowing is this: Any time a Trumpkin gets caught doing something shitty, we need to treat them as innocent until proven guilty, and "wait for all the facts to come out". There will be no timestamp on fact gathering. The right will just gaslight until the controversy goes away. If we continue to allow this bullshit the eventual result will be the normalization of ignorance/bigotry, and Trumpism takes over.

They are rich white suburbanites.  The media will always give them the benefit of the doubt.  Even when one of them is caught committing some kind of sadistic murder or mass shooting the media will try to excuse their actions (a victim of bullying, undiagnosed mental illness, etc.).  The only white people the media is okay with trashing (although they'll rarely attach the term "racist" even to them) are poor rural folks.  

• Like 2

• Pancho changed the title to Running Alt-Right Thread of Mockery and Hypocrisy