2018-2019 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

MICHAEL BRANTLEYOF, HOUSTON ASTROS

Michael Brantley went 3-for-3 and drove in three runs on Saturday, leading the Astros to a 13-5 victory over the Phillies in Grapefruit League play.

Brantley had run-scoring singles in the first, third and fifth innings to give the Astros their first three runs on the afternoon. He's now hitting .345 (10-for-29) with no homers and four RBI so far on the spring.

looks like we got to nola yesterday.  correa and springer had good days too.  also a couple days ago we swept a ss game with the cards.  i like it.

Edited by henrygandorf

I get Hernandez sucks, but what good is going to come of AJ talking to the media like that? Seems very un-AJ like. I’d expect him to do more behind the scenes if he really feels that strongly about how shitty he is.. or maybe he already has and it hasn’t gotten him anywhere.
I guess he figures Hernandez is so bad there is no chance he'll be umpiring in the postseason and that's all he really cares about

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

I get Hernandez sucks, but what good is going to come of AJ talking to the media like that? Seems very un-AJ like. I’d expect him to do more behind the scenes if he really feels that strongly about how shitty he is.. or maybe he already has and it hasn’t gotten him anywhere.
I guess he figures Hernandez is so bad there is no chance he'll be umpiring in the postseason and that's all he really cares about

Because Angel is that big of a piece of shit.

• Like 2

Here's an SB Nation article about Dallas Keuchel.

MLB Daily Dish - The Tricky Part About Signing Dallas Keuchel

Spoiler

Dallas Keuchel is still on the open market. Today is March, 15th, the season starts on March 28th, and one of the best pitchers (two, actually) in this year’s class is still unsigned. That’s not great.

This isn’t unprecedented of course. It was almost a year ago, March 20th, 2018 that Alex Cobbreached his deal with Baltimore. Keuchel is most definitely hoping for a Cobb-like outcome. Despite waiting about as long as physically possible, Cobb still ended up getting a plenty respectable 4 years/57 million from the pitching-desperate Orioles. Keuchel would take that deal and sprint out the door at this point.

But there’s a tricky aspect to a potential Keuchel contract. It’s certainly not unique to just him as other pitchers have found themselves here, but it is worth noting because of the conundrum in which he and his potential suitors find themselves.

Keuchel wanted a 5-year deal. That’s been reported enough by enough sources that’s it probably safe to call truth. It’s also safe to say, at this point, that isn’t going to happen. Most teams have very little interest in giving any pitcher a 5-year free agent deal, much less those who reside on the wrong side of 30.

So the conventional wisdom says take a shorter term deal. Keuchel most likely has a few different 2-year deals to choose from but this where the tricky part comes in. If Keuchel isn’t going to get the long term deal he wants, then a 1-year deal makes more sense for him than a 2-year deal. He can bet on himself to have a good year in 2019 and hit the open market next year and still only be 32. Where a 2-year takes him to 33, and makes it that much harder to get the multi-year deal he seeks.

So you might be saying, okay why doesn’t he just take a 1-year deal then? Well, teams might not be offering a 1-year deal. You see, Keuchel has draft pick compensation attached to his free agency. That means teams are giving up a draft pick to sign him. And because of how the system is set up, those teams lose the same pick regardless of whether they sign him to a 1-year deal, 2-year deal, or 5-year deal. It’s easier to stomach the loss of that pick knowing the player you gave it up for is going to be around for more than 1-year.

So 1-year deals don’t really make sense for the teams. 2-year deals don’t really make sense for Keuchel. And anything over 3 years most likely isn’t happening. You see the dilemma. There’s a very small sweet spot that can potentially make sense for both parties.

I’ve said a few times, something around 3/50M makes sense for everyone but, there are teams who don’t even want to go to 3 years. Now he could still sign a 2-year deal if he concedes or a 1-year deal if a team concedes but a contract for him is a bit trickier than it seems.

We’ll know soon enough.

45 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Here's an SB Nation article about Dallas Keuchel.

MLB Daily Dish - The Tricky Part About Signing Dallas Keuchel

Hide contents

Dallas Keuchel is still on the open market. Today is March, 15th, the season starts on March 28th, and one of the best pitchers (two, actually) in this year’s class is still unsigned. That’s not great.

This isn’t unprecedented of course. It was almost a year ago, March 20th, 2018 that Alex Cobbreached his deal with Baltimore. Keuchel is most definitely hoping for a Cobb-like outcome. Despite waiting about as long as physically possible, Cobb still ended up getting a plenty respectable 4 years/57 million from the pitching-desperate Orioles. Keuchel would take that deal and sprint out the door at this point.

But there’s a tricky aspect to a potential Keuchel contract. It’s certainly not unique to just him as other pitchers have found themselves here, but it is worth noting because of the conundrum in which he and his potential suitors find themselves.

Keuchel wanted a 5-year deal. That’s been reported enough by enough sources that’s it probably safe to call truth. It’s also safe to say, at this point, that isn’t going to happen. Most teams have very little interest in giving any pitcher a 5-year free agent deal, much less those who reside on the wrong side of 30.

So the conventional wisdom says take a shorter term deal. Keuchel most likely has a few different 2-year deals to choose from but this where the tricky part comes in. If Keuchel isn’t going to get the long term deal he wants, then a 1-year deal makes more sense for him than a 2-year deal. He can bet on himself to have a good year in 2019 and hit the open market next year and still only be 32. Where a 2-year takes him to 33, and makes it that much harder to get the multi-year deal he seeks.

So you might be saying, okay why doesn’t he just take a 1-year deal then? Well, teams might not be offering a 1-year deal. You see, Keuchel has draft pick compensation attached to his free agency. That means teams are giving up a draft pick to sign him. And because of how the system is set up, those teams lose the same pick regardless of whether they sign him to a 1-year deal, 2-year deal, or 5-year deal. It’s easier to stomach the loss of that pick knowing the player you gave it up for is going to be around for more than 1-year.

So 1-year deals don’t really make sense for the teams. 2-year deals don’t really make sense for Keuchel. And anything over 3 years most likely isn’t happening. You see the dilemma. There’s a very small sweet spot that can potentially make sense for both parties.

I’ve said a few times, something around 3/50M makes sense for everyone but, there are teams who don’t even want to go to 3 years. Now he could still sign a 2-year deal if he concedes or a 1-year deal if a team concedes but a contract for him is a bit trickier than it seems.

We’ll know soon enough.

hmmm.  on my scoretracker app, there's an article about kimbrel called "craig kimbrel is probably screwed."  gonna be an interesting next 2-3 years for this type of shit.

I figured Boras/Keuchel were now just holding out waiting/hoping/praying some #1/#2 pitcher has a season ending injury so that he may become more valuable. At this point he is gonna have to bend over and take a 2 yr deal for far less than he wants

23 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Because Angel is that big of a piece of shit.

Umpire self-regulation may be the only thing in America worse than police force self-regulation.

There really is no excuse for MLB to allow umpires like Hernandez to "punish" others with ridiculous calls. You are mad at Hinch, so you make a shit call against Springer? Come on.

Hernandez_missed_call.jpg

Edited by pacman

1 hour ago, pacman said:

Umpire self-regulation may be the only thing in America worse than police force self-regulation.

There really is no excuse for MLB to allow umpires like Hernandez to "punish" others with ridiculous calls. You are mad at Hinch, so you make a shit call against Springer? Come on.

Angel behind the plate is every pitcher's Fountain of Youth.

4 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

This may be a dumb question, but it wouldn't be my first - would the Astros lose a pick if they sign DK?

since nobody has answered you yet, i can tell you that i have no idea.

those rules on losing picks (and which pick(s) it is) have gotten so confusing the last few years, but i think it has something to do with the team who signs him, their payroll/luxury tax status, and how much they sign him for.  

again, that's for other teams, which i know isn't your question.  once he rejected our qo and became a full fledged free agent, i would have to think the rules apply to us as well, unless there's some loophole concerning negotiations.  knowing how our front office works, i can't see us signing him if it costs us anything in the top 5-6 rounds.

hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject (or time to read through all the nonsense) can come along and correct this.

I don't believe you lose a pick for signing or re-signing your own talent.  The origin of losing a pick was for competitive balance purposes, which is why teams that lose a big-time free agent gain a compensation pick and teams that sign a big-time free agent lose picks.  No one in this instance would be losing DK.  It's still screwy though because the signing team's pick just disappears and the other team doesn't get the actual pick, just a spot between rounds depending on the quality of the free agent.  The compensation pick is always further down than the pick lost by the team that signed the free agent.  

i'll take a guess - i think it's right, but probably not but maybe some truth to it somewhere

once DK became a free agent, we offered him a qualifying offer, which is around 1 year for ~18 million per season. once this offers is rejected by him and DK would sign somewhere else, we get a compensation or sandwich pick between the first and second rounds. this is for competitive purposes, but teams offer select guys a QO with the hopes of getting something back.  we didnt offer a QO to Marwin or Morton thus when they signed elsewhere, we received nothing in terms of compensation. 

I don't think we offer DK this late and forfeit the expected compensation pick, usually when guys receive a QO, they will turn down and purse FA. one of the only times i can remember a guy accepting it was colby back after the 2015 season

5 hours ago, pacman said:

lmao that's a STRIKE?

prob the most ergregious ump garbage

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
FollowFollow @MarkBermanFox26
More

MLB sources: The #Astros have reached an agreement on a six-year/$100 million contract with All-Star third baseman Alex Bregman that includes this season. Deal covers this year & the 3 years he'd be eligible for arbitration plus the first two years Alex can become a free agent.