2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

I stand by my argument that the conference is hot garbage.  Every team is down from last year, significantly.  Forget about comparing us to the rest of the country, just compare us relative to ourselves and this is the worst the conference has been in years.

My inclination is to say that it is POSSIBLE that not one team from the big12 makes it past the first weekend.  We aren't getting 7 in and our 6th team might be playing in the first four.  

Texas has a fucking tough road ahead with Baylor, ISu, Tech, TCU.  OU has WVU, KU, KSU.  TCU has Tech, KSU, and UT.  I think UT needs 3 wins to get in, OU needs two wins (0-8 v. Q1, 3-9 v. Q2), and TCU might need two wins with their shitty schedule.

I think these three teams are going to need at least one win in the big12 tourney to feel good about their NCAA hopes.

20 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I stand by my argument that the conference is hot garbage.  Every team is down from last year, significantly.  Forget about comparing us to the rest of the country, just compare us relative to ourselves and this is the worst the conference has been in years.

My inclination is to say that it is POSSIBLE that not one team from the big12 makes it past the first weekend.  We aren't getting 7 in and our 6th team might be playing in the first four.  

Texas has a fucking tough road ahead with Baylor, ISu, Tech, TCU.  OU has WVU, KU, KSU.  TCU has Tech, KSU, and UT.  I think UT needs 3 wins to get in, OU needs two wins (0-8 v. Q1, 3-9 v. Q2), and TCU might need two wins with their shitty schedule.

I think these three teams are going to need at least one win in the big12 tourney to feel good about their NCAA hopes.

I will bet you money one of KSU or TT makes the SS.

Just because Kansas is having their worst season in over a decade doesn't mean the conference is irrelevant come tournament time. 

I actually think at this point in the season that Tech is better than it was last year. I wouldn't have said that a few weeks ago. We're objectively better on defense and lately our offense has been performing at similar or higher level than it was last year.

I think you're projecting your frustrations with your own team to a degree.

However, you're not wrong that the conference as a whole is worse than it was last year.

Edited by Brian Fantana

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I will bet you money one of KSU or TT makes the SS.

Just because Kansas is having their worst season in over a decade doesn't mean the conference is irrelevant come tournament time. 

Yeah, I'd buy that.  ISU might too. 

It's all about matchups.

20 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

That is exactly what it means to them, though. It's an insane level of hubris but I wouldn't expect KU fans to pick up on that.

Not having a high level team in the conference does drag it down, but it might mostly be the perception of it.  K-State was leading the Big 12 (even though they're about the 4th best team in the conference) and just got waxed on national television.  That's just a bad look.

JHawk is definitely projecting, though.  The conference as a whole is down a little bit, but it's not drastic.  Kansas and West Virginia are way down, but Iowa State is way better, Texas Tech is marginally better and a legit top 10 team, and K-State is better...that's 3 of the top 4.

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

"we suck, so everyone sucks."  Fuck that.

Get over your fucking selves.  i wouldn't even buy that KU sucks, but a couple of you motherfuckers are so eaten up with the bullshit, you don't even know how to handle a 'normal' year for anyone else.  The Big XII is solid.  Our top teams can hang with anybody.

Oh, and the tournament committee seems poised to give your payhawks every advantage with regard to venue, if one believes the bracketology discussions.  That is pure horseshit, but so is 99% of the Phog Magic crap.

Grow a pair and play through it like other programs do.

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I actually think at this point in the season that Tech is better than it was last year. I wouldn't have said that a few weeks ago. We're objectively better on defense and lately our offense has been performing at similar or higher level than it was last year.

I think you're projecting your frustrations with your own team to a degree.

However, you're not wrong that the conference as a whole is worse than it was last year.

the offense is more diverse.

The D might be better.  IDK though.  They have been damned good both seasons.

7 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I like you jhawk, but you are consistently blatantly and completely wrong.  

Texas needs two wins to get in, OU needs to not lose to West Va. Where did you get those records for OU?  Do you think OU has 17 losses (8 in Q1, 9 in Q2)?  They are 17-11.  They are 3-9 vs the NET Q1, and 7-2 vs Q2. They haven't played a Q4 game this season, and are the only team I can find who has a schedule with 0 Q4 games (KU has 3: EMU, South Dakota, Louisiana, all at home).  Baylor has two Q4 LOSSES.

As far as the B12 from this year to last, I will list the teams' 2019 KenPom efficiency ranking and rating, and 2018.

Texas Tech (#8, 26.89) this year, (#11, 22.59) last year.
Iowa State (#13, 22.96); (#103, 6.58); as a reminder you said EVERY TEAM IS SIGNIFICANTLY DOWN THIS YEAR LOLOL.
Kansas (#16, 21.67); (#9, 23.49)
Kansas State (#26, 18.67); (#42, 14.77)
Texas (#27, 18.55); (#36, 15.43)
Baylor (#33, 16.79); (#34, 16.02)
Oklahoma (#40, 15.81); (#48, 14.16)
TCU (#44, 14.76); (#24, 18.47)
OSU (#111, 5.45); (#59, 12.93)
West Va (#119, 4.88); (#12, 22.44)

So to reiterate, you called a conference with 80% of its teams in the top 15% of the nation "hot garbage", you said every team is significantly down, when in fact more than half of the teams are improved from last year.  The conference has 5 top 30 teams this year up from 4 last year. The only real difference if you see that West Va and ISU basically completely swapped is that OSU is "very bad" instead of "bubble bad", but that's offset by the middle teams being slightly better. Texas Tech this year is higher rated than KU last year.  You are just blinded by KU's semi-regression.

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Like 1

Waters must practice on those goals at SixFlags...

Unbelievable shots.  So clutch.

I could not believe Tech did not foul on the final possession in regulation.  Hell, on the 2nd to last OSU possession I was suggesting it...

Great effort by the Cowboys.  they are so freaking young...might be pretty damned scary down the road a few years.

Happy AF for Tech to get the win and not piss down its leg with such an opportunity at stake.  Tech's effort was not bad tonight either, it was just one of those games where it felt like Tech didn't score for about 10 minutes on the game clock in the 2nd half.  Dodged a real bullet.

Tech was playing at a lower gear than any of the previous games in this winning streak, but you can't account for a white guy shooter getting into an insane hot streak like that.  That's how a terrible Tech team beat KU back in 2009.  Not to take anything away from Waters at all, but guys can't just will themselves into a zone like that.  It just happens sometimes.  Tech found a way to win is the important thing. We're still the title hunt with three games left in conference.

10 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

Tech was playing at a lower gear than any of the previous games in this winning streak, but you can't account for a white guy shooter getting into an insane hot streak like that.  That's how a terrible Tech team beat KU back in 2009.  Not to take anything away from Waters at all, but guys can't just will themselves into a zone like that.  It just happens sometimes.  Tech found a way to win is the important thing. We're still the title hunt with three games left in conference.

Technically, he would be a red guy shooter.  He's NDN.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Can Baylor win out? The championship is still in play if they can.

If Tech wins out, Baylor would actually help break the current tie with K-State by beating the Wildcats.

Baylor winning out would be impressive with wins over KSU, Okie Lite, and Kansas.

Credit Jason King for the below....Scott Drew has done a great, great job this season:

7 of the 9 players in Baylor’s rotation didnt play a single minute for the Bears last season. Three are freshmen & four are transfers, including one from a DIII school. Zero Top-50 recruits (247sports); Bears tied for 2nd in Big12

The biggest difference between last year and this year is that there isn't an obvious Final Four candidate in the Big 12.  I could see 4 squads making the second weekend, but there's no one that's a legitimate Final Four squad without a significant upset paving the way.

It's down, but not to the extent jhawk says.  

11 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

Are you talking about Alan Voskuil? I just looked back and didn't realize Tech won that game by 19. 

Probably needed a game like that. It's going to be so tough to win out, we're going to get everyone's best shot (is this what it feels like, KU?). This home stretch has been decidedly better than last year's at least. We lost 5 of our last 7 games including barely beating TCU and Texas before the big dance last year.

Course we still have the Big 12 tournament.

5 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Probably needed a game like that. It's going to be so tough to win out, we're going to get everyone's best shot (is this what it feels like, KU?). This home stretch has been decidedly better than last year's at least. We lost 5 of our last 7 games including barely beating TCU and Texas before the big dance last year.

Course we still have the Big 12 tournament.

Our game in Hilton is going to be weird.

• Like 1