2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

11 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Tough year for Ku recruiting. The fbi stuff, rumor of self to bulls, Silvio uncertainty with suspension, and then all of the departures from the program and guys testing the draft. 

it isn’t often you have 7 scholarships to fill where 4 of the guys could return and an 8th scholarship on hold because of a suspension appeal. Technically, I believe we have zero scholarships to offer until tomorrow. If we return the same team sans the Lawsons, Moore, and vick then we had a hell of an offseason and filled all but one spot with 2 guys still making a visit to Ku. 

"Kansas guard Quentin Grimes has entered the transfer portal, per release. Recently withdrew from the 2019 NBA Draft."

So what's the possibility of losing Quentin mean for KU?? 

Edited by LTtxfan

On 5/28/2019 at 7:42 AM, Js1 said:

To me, the interesting thing about this is RJ signed the pro contract about a month ago.  So all his recruiting updates and tweets were nothing more than a charade.  He likes attention I guess. What a guy.

5 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

To me, the interesting thing about this is RJ signed the pro contract about a month ago.  So all his recruiting updates and tweets were nothing more than a charade.  He likes attention I guess. What a guy.

Allegedly this was to drive up his price on his shoe deal. 

9 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

So after attempting to be a 1 and done he's going to sit out an entire year?

Another guy that believes his high school hype will get him a max contract. Rumor is that he sees himself as a ball dominant guard and wants to be somewhere that allows him to do that. That’s never happening on a Self team. Wish he would have come back but the truth is that his actions show that he isn’t even the slightest interested in team which means no team that is competing for a championship should want him. Good luck to the kid but I’ve got a feeling we’re going to see that mishandling your freshman season can really trash your future prospects. 

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

"Kansas guard Quentin Grimes has entered the transfer portal, per release. Recently withdrew from the 2019 NBA Draft."

So what's the possibility of losing Quentin mean for KU?? 

Dotson is our biggest recruiting win followed by Silvio getting cleared. It would be nice to have an improving grimes back but the truth is that he is more focused on personal accomplishments than the team. That doesn’t play well in big time basketball and certainly not at KU. Getting Dotson back probably means we’re top 10 preseason and we have 3 scholarships to give. 

Dotson

agbaji

garrett

silvio

doke

is a damn formidable lineup. If we can stay healthy we have a senior Lightfoot and sophomore McCormack off the been for big man depth and then 2 freshmen off the bench for guard depth (a little scary). Hopefully we can pick up a grad transfer who can shoot and handle the ball and then Wilson from Michigan would be a great addition. We need shooting to keep the lane from getting clogged. We should be one of the better rebounding teams in the country. If we make 36% from 3 as a team we are championship level good. 

Edited by Jhawk

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Any chance Grimes files for a waiver using KU's troubles with the FBI as an excuse to play immediately.  

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not.  KU doesn't have FBI troubles.  The school and the coaches were all left off the stand and the plaintiff roster.  NCAA problems? We might have those but Silvio getting cleared in his appeal is certainly not bad news for the school's penalty prospects.  I don't think one student athlete in the history of the NCAA has ever been granted a waiver because they went to a school that had some penalty levied against it (other than baylor).  We don't even know if there will be any penalties.  If we have them the most likely would be vacating games and not a postseason ban.

Grimes is leaving because he isn't utilized how he wants to be.  He doesn't have a personal crisis that will get him a waiver which is what the waiver system is set up for.  He's going to sit out a year which is complete insanity given his stated goal of getting to the league ASAP.  His best route to the NBA is to shed some weight, bust his ass to improve his quickness, shot, and rebounding, and then come back and have a breakout year at KU.  Instead he is going to transfer to a lesser program with less exposure to play the game he wants to play and not necessarily the game the NBA wants to see.  Then he is going to sit with no exposure for a year and practice against lesser competition during that time.  Finally, he'll get on the court and probably be the best or second best player on the team but will never be on TV and will be playing against lesser competition each night.  I said it earlier, this kid is really screwing up if he wants to get to the NBA.  He doesn't seem capable of making rational, logical, decisions which hurts his stock almost as much as his play on the court.

Edited by Jhawk

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not.  KU doesn't have FBI troubles.  The school and the coaches were all left off the stand and the plaintiff roster.  NCAA problems? We might have those but Silvio getting cleared in his appeal is certainly not bad news for the school's penalty prospects.  I don't think one student athlete in the history of the NCAA has ever been granted a waiver because they went to a school that had some penalty levied against it (other than baylor).  We don't even know if there will be any penalties.  If we have them the most likely would be vacating games and not a postseason ban.

Grimes is leaving because he isn't utilized how he wants to be.  He doesn't have a personal crisis that will get him a waiver which is what the waiver system is set up for.  He's going to sit out a year which is complete insanity given his stated goal of getting to the league ASAP.  His best route to the NBA is to shed some weight, bust his ass to improve his quickness, shot, and rebounding, and then come back and have a breakout year at KU.  Instead he is going to transfer to a lesser program with less exposure to play the game he wants to play and not necessarily the game the NBA wants to see.  Then he is going to sit with no exposure for a year and practice against lesser competition during that time.  Finally, he'll get on the court and probably be the best or second best player on the team but will never be on TV and will be playing against lesser competition each night.  I said it earlier, this kid is really screwing up if he wants to get to the NBA.  He doesn't seem capable of making rational, logical, decisions which hurts his stock almost as much as his play on the court.

Lol!! Are you serious, Clark?Shea Patterson (Michigan QB) did just that a year ago. Not to mention the Penn St kids. Do you pay attention to college sports at all.  This exact thing happens literally everytime a team gets a penalty. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

So you’re telling me shea Patterson said “we might have penalties at Miss so I want to transfer and not sit out” and it was granted???? I did not know that speculation of a penalty was a hardship reason. 

**just looked it up. The claim was that hugh freeze misled him. Then both Michigan and ole Miss agreed and the ncaa signed off on it. That was after penalties were already levied against ole miss. Not a chance in hell KU works with a school to say “yeah we committed penalties and he should be released” or “we misled him in his role” to let him play immediately. Especially since we haven’t even been sent a notice of being investigated. That’s hanging yourself. 

Edited by Jhawk

4 hours ago, slorch said:

WTF does all that mean?

Do we get a banner for Preseason Top 5? #aggytraits

It just means, pretty much for the first time I can remember for a major Tech sport outside of maybe baseball in the last few years, the media is not writing us off as needing to massively rebuild after a really good year.  Considering that we are losing a lot of productivity off last year's team, this boils down to mad respect for our coach.  It's mad respect from a pretty inconsequential group of people who are often wrong, but it is something different, if nothing else.

• Like 1

Probably just put it directly in the new adidas contract that if they see us fart in the direction of a player they should just cut a check. 

Seriously though, it’s been an insane recruiting period because of all the departures and speculated departures. Glad it’s over, we have 2 four star guys and 3 three star guys. Definitely a drop of in recruiting which is expected when your bag man goes to jail. That being said, i look forward to having multiple guys that are 4 year players to develop. I don’t want another year with potentially 7 spots to fill. 

Edited by Jhawk

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure how this works, but Okie Lite is hiring brother of the #2 prospect.... Now Okie Lite is favored to land that #2 prospect??
https://247sports.com/Player/Cade-Cunningham-46047476/
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27054609/oklahoma-state-hires-brother-no-2-prospect

Hopefully it works perfectly for us. We’ve been on this guy from the start and all the experts were crystal balling him to OSU before the hire. Hopefully, this cinches it for us.

Not sure how this works, but Okie Lite is hiring brother of the #2 prospect.... Now Okie Lite is favored to land that #2 prospect??
https://247sports.com/Player/Cade-Cunningham-46047476/
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27054609/oklahoma-state-hires-brother-no-2-prospect

Hopefully it works perfectly for us. We’ve been on this guy from the start and all the experts were crystal balling him to OSU before the hire. Hopefully, this cinches it for us.

I thought they put a rule in about hiring family but it might have been that if you hire family they have to be labeled assistant coach so you lose a coaching spot. They can’t be something like director of basketball operations. Not sure though. Honestly thought this was against the rules. That being said, OSU has an opening after the fbi trial don’t they?

14 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I thought they put a rule in about hiring family but it might have been that if you hire family they have to be labeled assistant coach so you lose a coaching spot. They can’t be something like director of basketball operations. Not sure though. Honestly thought this was against the rules. That being said, OSU has an opening after the fbi trial don’t they?

Literally the first sentence of the linked article:

Oklahoma State made a significant move in the basketball recruiting world on Tuesday, hiring the older brother of No. 2-ranked rising senior Cade Cunningham as its new assistant coach.

Read my post again... I was questioning if they made the rule with the caveat that they had to be "assistant" or not.  Maybe OSU is breaking the rule.. wouldn't be the first time a coach at OSU broke a rule in the last 12 months.  If they aren't breaking a rule then the rule apparently is they family member has to be labeled "assistant" which takes one of the 3 official assistant coach jobs on the team.

Tech basketball player Deshawn Corprew suspended during Investigation of Title IX allegations related to assault.

https://www.kcbd.com/2019/06/24/techs-deshawn-corprew-suspended-basketball-team/

This sucks, all the way around, save for Tech apparently doing the right thing regarding the investigation.  Be thorough.  Be just.

Edited by slorch

Corprew has has played his last game at Tech in all probability.  Incident happened at a club.  Apparently there is video from what I understand.  

Beard quoted earlier this year as saying he felt like Corprew would make all conference this year.  From a purely basketball standpoint, would be a very big loss.

On 6/27/2019 at 7:01 AM, Jhawk said:

After the trial? No, he was fired September 2017, when he was indicted. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/oklahoma-state-fires-associate-head-coach-lamont-evans-amid-fbi-investigation/

And if you actually cared about the question, instead of using it to throw shade, google is your friend. It's not that hard. 

Oklahoma State head coach Mike Boynton announced the addition of Cannen Cunningham as an assistant coach for the Cowboy basketball program.

In addition, veteran coach John Cooper will now serve as Special Assistant to the Head Coach for the Oklahoma State basketball program.

On 6/27/2019 at 8:09 AM, Jhawk said:

Read my post again... I was questioning if they made the rule with the caveat that they had to be "assistant" or not.  Maybe OSU is breaking the rule.. wouldn't be the first time a coach at OSU broke a rule in the last 12 months.  If they aren't breaking a rule then the rule apparently is they family member has to be labeled "assistant" which takes one of the 3 official assistant coach jobs on the team.

Come again? Evans was fired 22 months ago. Who exactly broke a rule in the last 12 months? Also, it's questionable if he actually broke a rule. He is going to jail for committing a crime, described as him having "received $22,000 in bribes." Nothing about whether any of that money was paid to a player. Jeffrey Carroll was cleared to play after being withheld for a few weeks, so there wasn't a broken rule there. If there was payment to a player from Lamont Evans, it was probably to Jawun Evans, who already went pro at the time of the indictment. The NCAA said recently some rule violations will be announced soon. We'll see then if OSU is on that list. But your "last 12 months" statement is stupid. Google really isn't difficult to use, really.

https://kfor.com/2019/06/07/former-osu-coach-sentenced-to-three-months-in-prison/

23 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Who’s the other coach who broke a rule in the last 12 months?

Forget it, he's rolling.

Edited by 'stache

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

After the trial? No, he was fired September 2017, when he was indicted. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/oklahoma-state-fires-associate-head-coach-lamont-evans-amid-fbi-investigation/

And if you actually cared about the question, instead of using it to throw shade, google is your friend. It's not that hard. 

Oklahoma State head coach Mike Boynton announced the addition of Cannen Cunningham as an assistant coach for the Cowboy basketball program.

In addition, veteran coach John Cooper will now serve as Special Assistant to the Head Coach for the Oklahoma State basketball program.

Come again? Evans was fired 22 months ago. Who exactly broke a rule in the last 12 months? Also, it's questionable if he actually broke a rule. He is going to jail for committing a crime, described as him having "received $22,000 in bribes." Nothing about whether any of that money was paid to a player. Jeffrey Carroll was ruled eligible after being withheld for a few weeks, so there wasn't a broken rule there. If there was payment to a player from Lamont Evans, it was probably Jawun Evans, who already went pro at the time of the indictment. The NCAA said recently some rule violations will be announced soon. We'll see then if OSU is on that list. But your "last 12 months" statement is stupid. Google really isn't difficult to use, really.

https://kfor.com/2019/06/07/former-osu-coach-sentenced-to-three-months-in-prison/

Forget it, he's rolling.

We have to remember, he's A KU basketball fan and all that comes with it.  Meaning, he's going to act like a spoiled entitled little baby when he doesn't get everything he wants.  And from his tone and cheap shots at us, I'm going to assume KU is recruiting Cunningham.  And if they are recruiting somebody, they feel it is their God given right to have that player and when anything happens that looks like it might endanger their God given rights, they act like an asshole.  Kind of like JHawk did here.  

He should take a look from the inside of his glass house at how KU landed Danny Manning and Mario Chalmers.   

Edited by Go Pokes

23 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

We have to remember, he's A KU basketball fan and all that comes with it.  Meaning, he's going to act like a spoiled entitled little baby when he doesn't get everything he wants.  And from his tone and cheap shots at us, I'm going to assume KU is recruiting Cunningham.  And if they are recruiting somebody, they feel it is their God given right to have that player and when anything happens that looks like it might endanger their God given rights, they act like an asshole.  Kind of like JHawk did here.  

He should take a look from the inside of his glass house at how KU landed Danny Manning and Mario Chalmers.   

I don't care to look back, but I think he's acknowledged KU's involvement in the FBI stuff and Adidas. Which is why I found it odd that he's pot-shotting us for something like this, especially, as you point out, they've done it previously. It's legal, and I'm glad to see we are even in on a top 3 guy for whom its worth making a hire like this.

I'm continuously astounded by the fact that these assistants coaches are literally going to jail to cover for their head coaches.  All the while the coaches that were caught up in the "rich people pay for attendance scheme" and paid 100s of thousands of dollars won't serve a day in jail.  America!! What a country?!?!

• Like 2

I'm continuously astounded by the fact that these assistants coaches are literally going to jail to cover for their head coaches.  All the while the coaches that were caught up in the "rich people pay for attendance scheme" and paid 100s of thousands of dollars won't serve a day in jail.  America!! What a country?!?!

There’s a reason why it’s astounding. Because it’s not true.

Name the swim coaches and tennis coaches who are getting jail time.

I was only referring to the part that you were astounded by:

I'm continuously astounded by the fact that these assistants coaches are literally going to jail to cover for their head coaches. 

So name an asst coach who is going to jail to cover for the head coach.

If your contention with me is over my use of of the word "cover" then I'll concedethat they aren't explicitly going to jail too prevent their bosses from getting in trouble,  but the idea that none of these coaches knew anything about what their assistants were doing is laughable.  

If your contention with me is over my use of of the word "cover" then I'll concedethat they aren't explicitly going to jail too prevent their bosses from getting in trouble,  but the idea that none of these coaches knew anything about what their assistants were doing is laughable.  

I still don’t get your theory. If a head coach took a bribe they would have been indicted. I’m not sure why an assistant would let their head coach know they are taking bribes, and even if they knew, I’m not sure it’s a crime to know someone else is receiving bribes. If any of that money made it to a players pocket it’s a rule violation not a crime and the NCAA said they are looking into that and head coaches might be in trouble even if they didn’t know.

The original post was about different coaches taking bribes but only the basketball coaches going to prison for it. In that post I made mention of them covering for their heads coaches and that's seems to be what people are focused on. If im wrong on the facts of that particular point so be it, but what I really care about is the fact that prison only seems to be an option for one set coaches while it doesn't for another set.

• 3 weeks later...

It’s probably too early for a 19-20 thread, but here is our noncon schedule. Pretty stout by the numbers, especially if Houston is still rolling and assuming WSU doesn’t fall off anymore than they did last season. Also hoping Yale is still good and ideally they will win the Ivy League again.

733c6822c0cb55faaced701b82402a39.jpg

Ku filled the final scholarship spot with a guy who is about to jump to a 4 star rating and get into the top 100. A good 4 year project guy. Going to be a fun season given the roster disaster we were looking at 2 months ago. 

49 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It’s probably too early for a 19-20 thread, but here is our noncon schedule. Pretty stout by the numbers, especially if Houston is still rolling and assuming WSU doesn’t fall off anymore than they did last season. Also hoping Yale is still good and ideally they will win the Ivy League again.

733c6822c0cb55faaced701b82402a39.jpg

Solid schedule from a name recognition wise.