2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Gonna be a long year for Baylor. Tough to replace that many players. 

Mario Kegler, the alleged big time transfer from Mississippi State, missed the game.  He is suspended for their first six games for a violation of team rules or some such.  What horrible thing  did he do to get suspended for a fifth of the season by BAYLOR.  BAYLOR !!  What do you have to do for Scott Drew and / or the Baylor administration to deem it necessary to suspend you that long?  Did he go all Carlton Dotson on them? Worse?

Edited by DeadArmadillo
fuck scott drew
  • Like 1

I hate when this stuff happens. Iowa State is probably going to struggle in nonconference play without these guys and then they are going to be a completely different team in conference play when they get these guys back.

You obviously have to suspend players when it's justified and nothing you can do about the Young injury but this type stuff doesn't do the Big 12 any favors. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I'm not sure what OSU has done to get better but I have to think that baylor will be in the basement.  I think OU finishes 9th and OSU is in 8th.  I think OSU being 8th is more a factor of everyone else being better and OSU not getting worse but not getting better.

4 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

Tech lands "highest ranked recruit in program history", 4 star guard Jahmius Ramsey from Duncanville: https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Article/Jahmius-Ramsey-Texas-Tech-Red-Raiders-124411709/

Fwiw, Rivals as an example, lists Ramsey as the 39th best player in the country.  Pretty nice offer list.

It's not official yet, but Wigginton has a heel injury and is going to be out until mid December.

This is God fucking us for having a good football team.

Seriously, we're going to have a shit-ass non conference record due to having literally half the team and probably finish 11-7 in the Big 12 and get left out because we lost to Iowa or some bullshit like that.

Buffalo takes down WVU 99-94... Mountaineers can choke on it for what happened this past weekend

CJ Massinburg (Buffalo): 12-22 FG, 9-15 3pt, 10-12 FT, 43 pts, 14 rebounds (he is a guard), 3 assists. He went in no lube on WVU

Edited by Texas25
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

West Virginia looks like a mid tier Big 12 team right now. Replacing 30 points and 10 assists a game (Carter and Miles) is a lot of production to replace in the college game. 

It will be fun to reseed the big12 right before conference play begins.  I figured WVU would be 2-3 but their press isn't great with this group and Konate hasn't really taken the leap I thought he would both defensively (I thought he'd be an even better rebounder) or offensively.

If WVU is still a top 3-4 team in the big12 then I'd officially say the big12 is down this year.

Edited by Jhawk

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, texasstrong12 said:

West Virginia looks like a mid tier Big 12 team right now. Replacing 30 points and 10 assists a game (Carter and Miles) is a lot of production to replace in the college game. 

Not only the points and assists but just as important is the  loss of their leadership. Thats tougher to replace than points. It will be interesting to see who if anyone steps up for them. Never count out Huggie.

WVU is not getting even 50% the guard play that they had last year.  You'd expect a drop off but jesus they can't even press with their guards and they have terrible handles.  They have no one setting the offense, and Konate is hanging at the 3 point line.  Here is a stat for you... Nobody on their team that is playing more than 9 minutes a game is averaging .6 or more assists per game than turnovers.  In fact, they have 4 guys who are averaging more turnovers than assists and their best guard (I assume Bolden is their starting PG) is averaging 2.7 turnovers per game.  It is a long season so they could get it together, but it could also be a long season for them.

With KSU, Weber mentioned in their first game that Dean Wade has zero confidence right now coming back from his season ending injury.  He better get it back quick or they could be in trouble going into conference play.  I'm would venture to guess that Weber's seat might be a little warm even though he is coming off an elite 8.  This is his best team at KSU by far.  If he finishes 5th in the conference and bows out in the first round I don't think the KSU fans will want to give him more time.

23 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Well, fuck.  Lack of depth caught up with us.

The Pac 12 is trash. I think Arizona is going to win the Pac 12 or finish 2nd and you guys almost beat them without half your team. 

Outside of Oregon and maybe Arizona I think every Pac 12 team would finish in the bottom 3 of the Big 12. I'm not a believer in UCLA or Washington at this point. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

First real team Texas Tech has played and they're struggling to score without Zhaire Smith and Keenan Evans. They will improve but they have issues on offense right now. 

Yeah it was a struggle in the first half in the first real game of the season but they played very well in the 2nd half. This team could be really dangerous if the offensive rhythm is there.

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Pac 12 is trash. I think Arizona is going to win the Pac 12 or finish 2nd and you guys almost beat them without half your team. 

Outside of Oregon and maybe Arizona I think every Pac 12 team would finish in the bottom 3 of the Big 12. I'm not a believer in UCLA or Washington at this point. 

Even Oregon is suspect.  They lost to Iowa, and Iowa’s like a 10 seed at best.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Maybe that coach we stole from you was a cancer

I never heard a bad word about the guy.

I think we're just getting more and more evidence that Prohm is a good coach in his own right, and capable of keeping this program at the level our fanbase expects.  Last year was an inevitable rebuild, and if we have another 6 year tourney run followed by a down year like that, I don't think anyone will mind.

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Said it months ago that this Tech team could be better than last year's team if the newcomers got in sync with each other quickly enough. 

I don't know that the current version of the Red Raiders is that good as Tech was at worst, a Top Ten team last season.  But two of the five most talented players they have won't be available until January.  So there's no telling how good they'll be in March