2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

13 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Texas ISU sets up as a brick fest for the ages

We won’t shoot this bad all year.  We’ve been fine till now.

Tonigjt doesn’t give me any concern for the season at large, but it does mean I’m avoiding social media for 24 hours.

46 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We won’t shoot this bad all year.  We’ve been fine till now.

Tonigjt doesn’t give me any concern for the season at large, but it does mean I’m avoiding social media for 24 hours.

Eh one bad shooting night. We were just playing fucking APBU and shot like 20% from 3, was oooooogly

While we aren’t playing well in general the game was in Kansas City. We play especially poorly there. New Mexico was undersized so it really hurt not having our big guy. We aren’t a final 4 team at this point. We’ll finish the season and be awarded at top seed but we’ll get knocked off by tougher teams pretty easily.  I figured we’d lose this game but either Nova on Saturday or ASU is pretty much a guaranteed loss. Losing sucks but I’m pretty confident that HCBS stops coaching about this time every year to force a loss so he can refocus his guys before conference play. It sounds stupid but this is always how KU plays around Xmas and we have a lot of years where we drop a late noncon game. 

Bottom line, we have a LONG way to go to be ready for March. We’re still the best team in the conference, especially if KSU is #2 in our league. But we are going to lose 5-6 games this year when most of us thought we’d lose 2-3

After pounding Memphis and beating LSU I thought we had a chance at not finishing last place.  But we suck again.  It was always going to be a stopgap year but I guess I held out hope we would be decent.  I bet we still pull off a few unexpected wins but last place seems about right.  Boynton is killing it on the recruiting trail so far though so hopefully the future is bright.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

After pounding Memphis and beating LSU I thought we had a chance at not finishing last place.  But we suck again.  It was always going to be a stopgap year but I guess I held out hope we would be decent.  I bet we still pull off a few unexpected wins but last place seems about right.  Boynton is killing it on the recruiting trail so far though so hopefully the future is bright.

If he can finish in 8th that would be an awesome year.  Looks like Lon has his guys ready to go though and baylor can't be worse than last year.  I'd say the only hopes to get out of the cellar are UT (based on what is said here, not actual play) and Baylor.  Boynton needs to use this year to learn how to coach in down years because you will always have one or two every 5-6 years.  It isn't the down year that kills you as a coach.  It is the under performing good year followed by a down year that kills the coach.  If he can learn to coach his down years to a higher finish than expected (like Lon does) he'll have a job for a long time.

I'm feeling like the big12 is down as a whole this year.  KU is ranked 1 but we could easily be ranked at 8-10 in my opinion.  The whole pack is very close together from 2-7 in the big12 in my opinion, but not "good" and close.  I think we are "mediocre" and closely packed.  KU just barely sticks its head out further than any other team, but we'll see if that is the case come january when league play starts.

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I'm feeling like the big12 is down as a whole this year.  KU is ranked 1 but we could easily be ranked at 8-10 in my opinion.  The whole pack is very close together from 2-7 in the big12 in my opinion, but not "good" and close.  I think we are "mediocre" and closely packed.  KU just barely sticks its head out further than any other team, but we'll see if that is the case come january when league play starts.

I feel this way too...Oklahoma and Tech seem better than expected. KU is ranked #1 but it's a pretty soft 1 like you said (though having a win over Tennessee is a solid resume builder right now). We'll learn a lot about Tech on the 20th when we play Duke @ MSG in what should be a top 10 matchup. Right now we only have 3 ranked teams which I did not expect at this point in the season, but KU/Tech/OU/ISU are the only teams that have avoided having a bad loss so far.

I am astonished on how bad KSU is this year.  Weber is going to wipe away 100% of the goodwill he earned with the elite 8 trip last year.  If he bows out in the first round with teh best team they've had since beasley he is going to get canned.  Everyone wanted him gone last year until he made his run.

51 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Tech is lighting it up, but it is against a blah team.  Duke v Tech on 12/20.  That's going to tell me if Tech is for real.  

Tech is for real. And i don't care if they lose to Duke by 15, Tech is for real. They could win the conference this year if KU isn't careful. Grimes has been a flop, big man has been hurt, and Tech's defense is one of the best in the country. Tech is going places. 

Just now, Goo Punch said:

Tech is for real. And i don't care if they lose to Duke by 15, Tech is for real. They could win the conference this year if KU isn't careful. Grimes has been a flop, big man has been hurt, and Tech's defense is one of the best in the country. Tech is going places. 

We are staggeringly inconsistent on offense. Defense will give us a chance to win any game but we need more people to step up and lead offensively.

14 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

We are staggeringly inconsistent on offense. Defense will give us a chance to win any game but we need more people to step up and lead offensively.

In past years when the Big XII was full of guys like Frank Mason, Joel Embiid, Georges Niang, Buddy Hield, Jawun Evans, Taurean Prince, etc, I would lean more towards your way of thinking, but the Big XII doesn't have the star power that it's enjoyed in recent years. The league is more about team play than it has been, and Tech are as well coached as anyone on defense. Y'all aren't perfect, and speaking of lost star power you could certainly use Keenan Evans, but TTU has six players averaging between 6-10.6 ppg. Not having multiple star players may lead to inconsistent returns offensively, but I think it also points to the strength of the team as a whole. Right now I see y'all as the most legit threat to KU that we've seen for a few years. 

I do agree with you that tech is for real and that their defense will carry them to be a contender in the league AND that a loss to Duke doesn’t mean anything in the long run. You can’t use the fact that lack of star power in the big 12 is the reason tech is a threat. Good team offense is why good defense gets beat in basketball. Moving the ball side to side and in and out and having multiple scoring options instead of one or two options is always going to yield better results on offense. 

Tech has the #2 defense (Kenpom) and the scoring you say they do. Kansas has the #6 defense and the #7 offense. Techs offense is 47. And Kansas has 6 guys scoring 6-20 points per game. So the spread of offense over multiple players doesn’t just apply to tech. You can’t just pick a highly touted freshman and say that because he isn’t the leading scorer on a team that has 4 guys scoring more than 11 ppg that  he is a bust or that the KU offense Won’t compete with the tech D.

If you’re going to use stats to compare teams use them consistently across the board. Tech will definitely be KU’s top opponent the rest of the year and I fully expect to lose at least one game to them, but let’s use statistics evenly when comparing teams and not just pick out one player’s deficiency or the fact that there aren’t NPOY type players in the league as the reason a team can compete or can’t compete. 

Edited by Jhawk

11 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I haven't been paying attention to KU much so far this year,  but I did notice Grimes was barely in the game against New Mexico St, at least for the parts I watched. Didn't realize he's been a flop.  That's disappointing because it probably means he's back next year. 

59 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

you're acting like i said that TTU > KU when all I said is that it wouldn't surprise me if TTU made a run at KU. 

It's not about that... It the argument that since there is no star power then that means the league is winnable based on defense alone.  In one sentence you say defense can win because of no star power in the league and then you say their offense being spread among 6 players means their offense can win it.  So what is it?

50 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I haven't been paying attention to KU much so far this year,  but I did notice Grimes was barely in the game against New Mexico St, at least for the parts I watched. Didn't realize he's been a flop.  That's disappointing because it probably means he's back next year. 

He isn't a flop at all.  He isn't Zion or the other duke kid but he is a freshman that is averaging 8/2/2 in 24 minutes per game.  He's shooting 37% from three.  His issue is that he has two all americans that are going to get the ball first in a bill self system (doke and Lawson) and Vick came on so strong in the beginning of the year that there aren't touches for him.  If he is flopping at anything but his defense is why he isn't starting right now.

Numerous articles and coach interviews (from non-KU coaches) have said he is still at top 10 pick and that if he stays at KU he will be an all american.

Edited by Jhawk

13 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Tech is lighting it up, but it is against a blah team.  Duke v Tech on 12/20.  That's going to tell me if Tech is for real.  

I am semi-excited( can’t wait!) about that game, and have had similar thoughts from early on in this season.  Not that a loss means Tech sucks, but it should be a nice measuring stick game.

Edited by slorch

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

FWIW, I didn’t think Goo’s initial post was a swipe at KU at all.  Nobody in their right mind is writing off the ‘Hawks.

It isn’t a swipe at all. It’s contradictory. He says because no star power in the league that defense can carry it. Then he says that even tho tech has no star power their offense can win the league because it is spread among 6 contributors. 

29 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

It isn’t a swipe at all. It’s contradictory. He says because no star power in the league that defense can carry it. Then he says that even tho tech has no star power their offense can win the league because it is spread among 6 contributors. 

you're pretty determined to "prove" that i contradicted myself, and i can't really explain why. i said that in past years when the league was full of stars who could carry a team offensively that TTU being inconsistent on offense could spell trouble for their title hopes. But the league is lacking that star power in a pretty major way, ipso facto being inconsistent offensively doesn't automatically equal doom and gloom when you play better defense than UVA. That's it. Either accept it, or move on. 

Edited by Goo Punch

54 minutes ago, slorch said:

I am semi-excited( can’t wait!) about that game, and have had similar thoughts from early on in this season.  Not that a loss means Tech sucks, but it should be a nice measuring stick game.

Exactly the point I was making.  It will show where this team is.  A loss to #2 Duke isn't going to ruin any teams season.  Tech is good and clearly a tourney team to me.  They have a shot at winning the Big12.

Texas Tech wins easily over an outmanned ACU team.

But more importantly, they played a throwback type game in the old Lubbock Municipal Coliseum. AKA The Bubble. It was the last game yo ever be played there. It's set for demolition next year, I believe. Went to many a game there as a kid and as a student.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Arizona just lost to Baylor at home. I think there's a very good chance the 10th best team in the Big 12 would win the Pac 12 this year. 

There are currently 8/10 teams in the Big 12 in the Kenpom top 35. There are currently 1/12 teams in the Pac 12 in the Kenpom top 35. This is unreal when comparing two power conferences. 

Edited by texasstrong12

17 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

But more importantly, they played a throwback type game in the old Lubbock Municipal Coliseum. AKA The Bubble. It was the last game yo ever be played there. It's set for demolition next year, I believe. Went to many a game there as a kid and as a student.

I went to just about every home game between '92 and '96, when I was an undergrad, and a fair number of games before that too, since I grew up in Lubbock.  I have a lot of great memories there and saw a pretty good era of Tech bball firsthand.  That being said, I don't feel the slightest twinge of sadness about it being torn down.  It was and is a fucking dump.  I'm still mad that they couldn't get it together to get the new arena built while I was still there.

21 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

That’s cool they did that, wished UK would play one game a season in Memorial Coliseum, just have the students in attendance.