2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

I'm done with predictions.  You couldn't have convinced me that OU and Baylor would be anything other than trash heading into the season yet OU is anything but,  and Baylor can muster up a 10 or road win at Arizona.  I thought K St had an outside shot of ending KU's streak, but they look as hit and miss as us.  

16 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

The only concert I ever saw there was Metallica, on their tour for the "Black Album".  I'm not a big Metallica fan, but it was a pretty great show. 

REO Speedwagon, KISS in late October, maybe even Halloween night, Cheap Trick, Jethro Tull, Billy Sqier, and even Alabama, though the Maines Brothers opened for them and showed them up.  

I know there were a few others.

On 12/15/2018 at 8:33 PM, Goo Punch said:

Lubbock is going to be as tough a win as the Phog, and tougher than GIA, The Octagon of Doom, or Hilton. TTU will be 8-1 or 9-0 at home this year. 

You left out the Drum, bruh. Teams don't just walk into the FEC and expect a W ... unless you're Radford or VCU, that is.

Baylor hosts SFA tonight and Oregon on Friday. SFA has made the NCAA Tournament 4 of the last 5 years and should be a good tuneup game as the Christmas break approaches. Tech fans may remember SFA from the first round of last years tourney.

A note from the Arizona game, Baylor outrebounded the Wildcats 51-19 and in the second half of that game shot 63.6%.

Edited by El Diablo

Preview of tomorrows game at MSG.

By THE SI STAFF 
December 18, 2018

Welcome back to the Tuesday Shootaround! After a week in college hoops that included a second consecutive Gonzaga loss and Kansas’s revenge for last March's Final Four drubbing by Villanova, the final throes of non-conference play loom before teams enter their league schedules as the calendar turns to 2019.

In our latest roundtable, our writers and editors take a look at the X-factors in this week’s biggest game, the non-conference results that may prove to be misleading and the top-10 team that we doubt will make it to Minneapolis.

Duke vs. Texas Tech pits kenpom.com’s No. 2 offense against its No. 1 defense—but it will be the first time Duke faces a top-10 defense and Tech faces a top-10 offense. What will make the difference at Madison Square Garden on Thursday?

Dan Greene: The Red Raiders’ defense will be pivotal, but they’ll need to help their case on the offensive end by making shots and taking care of the ball. Gonzaga beat Duke by shooting better than 52% both overall and from three and turning it over just 11 times, which prevented the Blue Devils from dominating in transition, as is their wont. Texas Tech has two capable outside shooters in Jarrett Culver (45.2%) and Matt Mooney (44.4%), but as a team it does not attempt threes at a very high rate (329th nationally), so it will need to shoot them especially well to boost its offensive efficiency. Tech also turns opponents over at the sixth-highest rate in the country—if it can ramp up the pressure and make Duke's young team uncomfortable, that could pay dividends here.

Molly Geary: I'm really looking forward to this matchup, which is a lot more exciting now than it was on paper in the preseason. Texas Tech has overachieved so far to get to 12th in the AP poll, but the Red Raiders have played one of the weakest non-conference schedules in the country and have only been tested by Nebraska—albeit a test it aced. The big key I'm looking for in this one is Duke's two-point offense, which ranks sixth nationally, going against the Red Raiders' two-point defense, which ranks first. Gonzaga is the only team that has held the Blue Devils to under 55% inside the arc, and Texas Tech is going to need a similar outcome and a big game inside by Tariq Owens (who, you may recall, helped St. John’s stun a different Duke team in February) to have a chance in this one. It's also going to need to score the ball itself, obviously, while facing the best defense it has seen this year.

Jeremy Woo: Tempo, tempo, tempo. The Red Raiders can’t match Duke’s firepower, but if they can maintain control of the gameflow and limit Duke‘s easy looks in transition—where Zion Williamson and R.J. Barrett have made them more dangerous than anyone in the country—then they’ll have a puncher’s chance. Duke is an alarmingly poor jump-shooting team but has been remarkably efficient in spite of it, and while Texas Tech is excellent at running teams off the line and limiting clean looks, it’s more critical that they protect the rim in this one. Culver & Co. will have their hands full.

Michael Shapiro: Texas Tech must mitigate the Blue Devils’ advantage on the glass. Duke is the seventh-best offensive rebounding team in the nation, led by the dominant presence of Williamson. Barrett attacks the glass with abandon, and Marques Bolden snags over two offensive boards per game.

While Duke dominates the glass, Texas Tech relies on Culver as its leading rebounder. Tariq Owens is the only player among Tech’s top seven scorers taller than 6'5". Texas Tech has forced plenty of misses this season, but a string of second-chance opportunities as well. To compete with the Blue Devils at MSG, the Red Raiders will need to rebound with abandon and limit Duke to one-and-done in the half court.

Eric Single: It sure would be nice if Cam Reddish made his presence felt from behind the arc. Going back to late in the first half of the blowout win against Stetson, Reddish has connected on one of his last 17 attempts from beyond the arc. That top-ranked Texas Tech defense does its best work close to the basket, so the Blue Devils will need to do some damage from deep. Reddish disappeared for most of the loss to Gonzaga after taking exclusively threes the night before against Auburn, the best defense Duke has played so far. The long ball doesn’t need to be his only contribution in New York, but it should be a central one.

Jake Fischer: I’m really curious to see if Duke can find a rhythm offensively. When you close your eyes, can you picture how the Blue Devils’ scoring attack functions in the half-court? On a grand stage, against a stingy-as-heck opponent, will Mike Krzyzewski’s club be able to take a step forward and cement their offensive identity? It’s the biggest question mark for this young squad’s title hopes.

Preview of tomorrows game at MSG.

By THE SI STAFF  December 18, 2018

Welcome back to the Tuesday Shootaround! After a week in college hoops that included a second consecutive Gonzaga loss and Kansas’s revenge for last March's Final Four drubbing by Villanova, the final throes of non-conference play loom before teams enter their league schedules as the calendar turns to 2019.

In our latest roundtable, our writers and editors take a look at the X-factors in this week’s biggest game, the non-conference results that may prove to be misleading and the top-10 team that we doubt will make it to Minneapolis.

Duke vs. Texas Tech pits kenpom.com’s No. 2 offense against its No. 1 defense—but it will be the first time Duke faces a top-10 defense and Tech faces a top-10 offense. What will make the difference at Madison Square Garden on Thursday?

Dan Greene: The Red Raiders’ defense will be pivotal, but they’ll need to help their case on the offensive end by making shots and taking care of the ball. Gonzaga beat Duke by shooting better than 52% both overall and from three and turning it over just 11 times, which prevented the Blue Devils from dominating in transition, as is their wont. Texas Tech has two capable outside shooters in Jarrett Culver (45.2%) and Matt Mooney (44.4%), but as a team it does not attempt threes at a very high rate (329th nationally), so it will need to shoot them especially well to boost its offensive efficiency. Tech also turns opponents over at the sixth-highest rate in the country—if it can ramp up the pressure and make Duke's young team uncomfortable, that could pay dividends here.

Molly Geary: I'm really looking forward to this matchup, which is a lot more exciting now than it was on paper in the preseason. Texas Tech has overachieved so far to get to 12th in the AP poll, but the Red Raiders have played one of the weakest non-conference schedules in the country and have only been tested by Nebraska—albeit a test it aced. The big key I'm looking for in this one is Duke's two-point offense, which ranks sixth nationally, going against the Red Raiders' two-point defense, which ranks first. Gonzaga is the only team that has held the Blue Devils to under 55% inside the arc, and Texas Tech is going to need a similar outcome and a big game inside by Tariq Owens (who, you may recall, helped St. John’s stun a different Duke team in February) to have a chance in this one. It's also going to need to score the ball itself, obviously, while facing the best defense it has seen this year.

Jeremy Woo: Tempo, tempo, tempo. The Red Raiders can’t match Duke’s firepower, but if they can maintain control of the gameflow and limit Duke‘s easy looks in transition—where Zion Williamson and R.J. Barrett have made them more dangerous than anyone in the country—then they’ll have a puncher’s chance. Duke is an alarmingly poor jump-shooting team but has been remarkably efficient in spite of it, and while Texas Tech is excellent at running teams off the line and limiting clean looks, it’s more critical that they protect the rim in this one. Culver & Co. will have their hands full.

Michael Shapiro: Texas Tech must mitigate the Blue Devils’ advantage on the glass. Duke is the seventh-best offensive rebounding team in the nation, led by the dominant presence of Williamson. Barrett attacks the glass with abandon, and Marques Bolden snags over two offensive boards per game.

While Duke dominates the glass, Texas Tech relies on Culver as its leading rebounder. Tariq Owens is the only player among Tech’s top seven scorers taller than 6'5". Texas Tech has forced plenty of misses this season, but a string of second-chance opportunities as well. To compete with the Blue Devils at MSG, the Red Raiders will need to rebound with abandon and limit Duke to one-and-done in the half court.

Eric Single: It sure would be nice if Cam Reddish made his presence felt from behind the arc. Going back to late in the first half of the blowout win against Stetson, Reddish has connected on one of his last 17 attempts from beyond the arc. That top-ranked Texas Tech defense does its best work close to the basket, so the Blue Devils will need to do some damage from deep. Reddish disappeared for most of the loss to Gonzaga after taking exclusively threes the night before against Auburn, the best defense Duke has played so far. The long ball doesn’t need to be his only contribution in New York, but it should be a central one.

Jake Fischer: I’m really curious to see if Duke can find a rhythm offensively. When you close your eyes, can you picture how the Blue Devils’ scoring attack functions in the half-court? On a grand stage, against a stingy-as-heck opponent, will Mike Krzyzewski’s club be able to take a step forward and cement their offensive identity? It’s the biggest question mark for this young squad’s title hopes.

I know of a couple of dozen Red Raiders that will be at the game. Most live in the area, but some at are using the game as an excuse to see NYC at Christmas, including my cousin.

A close friend of mine tried to talk some of us into taking a quick trip up for the game, but the consensus was that if I'm going to New York, I want to spend a week there , or at least four days.

I kind of regret not going

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

I know of a couple of dozen Red Raiders that will be at the game. Most live in the area, but some at are using the game as an excuse to see NYC at Christmas, including my cousin.

A close friend of mine tried to talk some of us into taking a quick trip up for the game, but the consensus was that if I'm going to New York, I want to spend a week there , or at least four days.

I kind of regret not going

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Fwiw, I believe it was Red Raider Sports that said about 2000 TT fans will be there.

5 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Fwiw, I believe it was Red Raider Sports that said about 2000 TT fans will be there.

If I personally know 25 or 30 people that will be there, I wouldn't be surprised if way more than 2,000 Red Raiders show up.  They'll be way more Duke fans there, but just like in Boston during the NCAA tourney, Tech will be well represented

3 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

If I personally know 25 or 30 people that will be there, I wouldn't be surprised if way more than 2,000 Red Raiders show up.  They'll be way more Duke fans there, but just like in Boston during the NCAA tourney, Tech will be well represented

I live in New York and am glad you didn't make the trip. 

• Like 1

Looks like this game is over, I'm really disappointed in Matt Mooney and what the fuck has happened to Brandone Francis this year? He can't hit shit.

Hard to have much to complain about though, never really thought we had much of a shot in the first place, but I was wrong.

Also the officiating was pretty terrible on both ends, but Duke got away with murder on the defensive end in the last 10 or so possessions.

Edited by Brian Fantana

too much dribbling into turnovers.

work like motherfuckers on passing and ball movement.

They played well enough on defense to win tonight.  Their effort at the offensive end was less than stellar...

but correctable.  and that's where Beard will earn his salary,

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

They played well enough on defense to win tonight.  Their effort at the offensive end was less than stellar...

Duke is the best defensive team we'll play all year, period. Kansas is close with Azubuike healthy.

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Duke is the best defensive team we'll play all year, period. Kansas is close with Azubuike healthy.

Tech still didn't pass the ball well at all, starting with the 3 inbound gimmes under their own freaking goal.

They dribblied way too much on the offensive end, against a far superior athletic team.  passing and ball movement create space.   Not doing it creates T/Os.

Just now, slorch said:

Yeah I don't know what it is. No matter how well coached a team is, it seems like when it comes to nut cutting time teams always resort to hero ball.