2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

26 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

No dog in the fight, other than just a natural hatred of the Hoopies of Morganhole, but damn, they took it to Texas Tech. They looked pretty good. I don't think I'd want to play them right now.

They were playing like soccer hooligans who haven't rioted in a while.

So I was convinced ISU could only beat a Mason-less Baylor, and Tech was going to roll WVU.

Who wants to pay me for gambling advice?

I also recently learned that the ACC doesn’t award a regular season champion. Never has. The ACC champion is the tournament winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Not disputing that because everyone knows that is how they play. But it seemed Tech reached down to see if they had a pair, and didn't find a pair.

Tech clearly did not care about this game and know they are a solid 3 seed.  It was go out and play and don't get hurt.  Beard was pretty calm during the game so I think this was by design.  Tech will be a different team come tourney time.

Edited by Moby Ric

I know Tech fans want to write this off as irrelevant, and no big deal.

I know this because I remember being in their shoes 18 years ago. We won the regular season, and waltzed into the tournament expecting to roll.

We lost to an immediately pre murder dead last Baylor in our first game. No big deal. We’d still be a 2 seed. We just won the conference regular season. We’re fine.

Then came Hampton. Take heed, Raiders. Take heed.

STFU Iowa St.  You're more irrelevant than Tech.

I’m not talking shit. I guarantee Chris Beard isn’t as lackadaisical about this game.

All I’m saying is that Tech would be wise to treat this game as a wake up call because I’ve seen really similar teams walk straight into disaster in similar stances.

And your last sentence.... k.

For not risking injuries, Culver and Owens both got beat the fuck up in the paint, and that's not to say WVU did it dirty either.  It was just physical as hell.

As for the comment that Tech didn't care, they came back from a bazillion points down to take the lead late.  It's not as if they quit or just went through the motions.  At one point in the first half, they were 1 of 14 from the field.  It was eerily similar to what happened in the second half vs Okie Lite when they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.

Beard was not calm either.  His expression was, "I will PT you until your assholes are sucking buttermilk..."  Just because he isn't throwing a fit (or chairs) doesn't mean he is not pissed.

Edited by slorch

9 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I also recently learned that the ACC doesn’t award a regular season champion. Never has. The ACC champion is the tournament winner.

Yeah this is very strange to me. But I guess the ACC has had a tournament a lot longer than most conferences.

51 minutes ago, 76Jayhawk said:

Yeah this is very strange to me. But I guess the ACC has had a tournament a lot longer than most conferences.

The Big 8 had a tournament for 20 years, and it always made sense to me to acknowledge both regular season and tournament. 

I could see why the current ACC would adopt this model, with the schools not playing round robin, but the fact that's always been this way is weird as hell.

These finals couldn't be any better for the business owners in downtown KC.  3 of the last 4 teams are within a 3 hour radius and have passionate fanbases that will be pouring in to party their balls off.  Then you have about a 95% chance of the finals being KU vs. the two schools that love beating KU more than about anything.  Assuming KU takes care of WVU, P&L is going to be nut house for the next 2 days.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

These finals couldn't be any better for the business owners in downtown KC.  3 of the last 4 teams are within a 3 hour radius and have passionate fanbases that will be pouring in to party their balls off.  Then you have about a 95% chance of the finals being KU vs. the two schools that love beating KU more than about anything.  Assuming KU takes care of WVU, P&L is going to be nut house for the next 2 days.

KU v ISU in the finals is awesome, but I'd rather play K-State...assuming we get by West Va.

14 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Tech is the best team in the Big 12, but come March it only takes one bad outing. Ask KU. Ask us. We’ve both had plenty of embarrassing March moments

KU usually shoots like 2-30 from three and some big white dude who's never hit a three before will start launching bombs. Like clockwork.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VolenteHawk said:

KU v ISU in the finals is awesome, but I'd rather play K-State...assuming we get by West Va.

K State will do more for your seeding next week, for sure.  

This really surprised me, but you guys and K State have met in the finals more than we have.  At least in the Big 12 era.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The Big 8 had a tournament for 20 years, and it always made sense to me to acknowledge both regular season and tournament. 

I could see why the current ACC would adopt this model, with the schools not playing round robin, but the fact that's always been this way is weird as hell.

I could be wrong but I think the ACC has had a tournament like 30 or 40 years longer than the Big 8. Big 8 had the old holiday tournament during the christmas break but it was, well, pointless and meant nothing

Good win ISU. Looks like the KSU players were bitching to prohm about the dunk after the buzzer. They must have forgotten about how they did the same against their opponents multiple times this year. 

Thanks. See you tomorrow

'Member back when we could put a tagline under our handles on the previous site? That'd be a good one for you, Al: Noted Conference Tournament Enthusiast.
And, honestly, it doesn't really seem like the Big 12 Tournament if the 'Clones aren't in the final.

I’d take that badge all day. It really is fun. Just a blur of basketball, alcohol, and smoked meat.

8 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Smoked meat, you say? Hmmm.

And I would truly be more into the Big 12 Tournament if my team didn't almost always crash out of it. Just as you can expect to reach the finals most years, Texas fans can expect an early bounce.

My team rarely crashes out early, and I’m still not much into it. Once you’re in the final, any rest advantage for losing is gone...so I’m back into it now. I also greatly enjoy snatching it from ISU when possible.

The Big 12 tournament is the most fun basketball to be at of the whole year, with the possible exception of the Final Four. Nine games in four days among the teams you know the best is awesome, even if the basketball is pretty meaningless.

Edited by VolenteHawk

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

But I thought ISU was terrible and we’re fucking each other’s girls or something. Good on you Al, and best of luck to your liver.

Maybe that's the secret...they've embraced fucking each other's girls and are now just celebrating it.  Whatever works.