2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

19 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

2ec6dfdaa9ac7846acf801a1ba97bb9d.jpg Water is wet

"...has already drunk..."

Why are sports Tweeters so fucking stupid?

That sentence calls for the PAST PARTICIPLE - "drunk", not the Simple Past - "drank" of "to drink". This is why athletes grow up not being able to speak the English language.

15 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Iowa State back to its January form.

As tough a year as this has been for spoiled Jayhawks fans, you gotta think it will pay huge dividends next season. Is Dedric leaning to return or go pro?

His measurables are awful but he also has nothing else to prove. 2 straight years of 20&10. I think it’s 50/50 if he stays or goes. He might stay because his brother is here but oddly, if he goes his brother might get more playing time. This team has a bunch of 3-4 year guys on it and the only one who isn’t a 3-4 year guy is suspended for 2 by the ncaa. Media seems to think we return the entire team next year. 

Good win clones. KU has some absolutely bewildering performances and this is one of them. I didn’t think Doke was going to play as big of a role as he did because I thought he’s be neutered by teams fouling him. But the numbers after he went down were awful with us going from 17-1 to a 10-7 finish. When you have such a head of steam going for so long it sucks to have to throw away an entire year...

goos season for the big12. Congrats tech. Fuck KSU. Congrats clones. Hopefully we can get a few teams out of the first weekend. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Big 12 ends up a 6-bid conference.

Not so sure BlowU deserves an invite..... Could argue B12 should be a 5-bid conference.

KU as a #4 seed with a path thru Kansas City for Sweet 16 Rd seems like backroom 💰💰 changing hands... 

Edited by LTtxfan

Not so sure BlowU deserves an invite..... Could argue B12 should be a 5-bid conference.
KU as a #4 seed with a path thru Kansas City for Sweet 16 Rd seems like backroom changing hands... 

Dunno if this is trolling or you can’t see past conf record but OU was well above the cutline. 19 wins against one of the toughest schedules in the country, the only one of 353 teams in country with zero Q4 games, only one Q3 loss.

St Johns, Zona St and Temple all should have missed for UNCG, TCU, and NC State. Much stronger case that B12 should have had 7 than 5.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

KU as a #4 seed with a path thru Kansas City for Sweet 16 Rd seems like backroom 💰💰 changing hands... 

LOL that's cute you think we are getting to KC.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Dunno if this is trolling or you can’t see past conf record but OU was well above the cutline. 19 wins against one of the toughest schedules in the country, the only one of 353 teams in country with zero Q4 games, only one Q3 loss.

Not trolling..... just not impressed with sooners play this season.  Guess the late season win vs KU helped, but their only other B12 wins were against osu (2), wv (1), tcu (2), Texas (1).

Their regular season record of 7-11 in B12 should have required at least beating West Virginia in the B12 Tourney to receive an NCAA bid.  Going 1-2 against WV this season is not worthy of sooners qualifying for March Madness. 

Consider this, Texas had a better B12 record than the sooners.  Like I said before, not so sure BlowU is deserving of an NCAA Tourney invite.... just my opinion. 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

15 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I think everyone agreed with you that the league overall is down you god damn martyr

Yeah, I don't think anyone thought the Big 12 was as good as it's been.

It's just that there's a difference between being down and being garbage.  The Big 12 was still pretty good - just not like it's been.

Not trolling..... just not impressed with sooners play this season.  Guess the late season win vs KU helped, but their only other B12 wins were against osu (2), wv (1), tcu (2), Texas (1).
Their regular season record of 7-11 in B12 should have required at least beating West Virginia in the B12 Tourney to receive an NCAA bid.  Going 1-2 against WV this season is not worthy of sooners qualifying for March Madness. 
Consider this, Texas had a better B12 record than the sooners.  Like I said before, not so sure BlowU is deserving of an NCAA Tourney invite.... just my opinion. 

OU also beat Wofford, Florida, and Creighton OOC and also a pile of teams like Dayton and Wichita St who aren’t “exciting OMG” wins but had top 100 rankings. Not playing Q4 games makes it harder to just stockpile free wins, but scanning schedules most people just look at tourney teams vs non-tourney, but beating the #85 team in the country over and over is much harder than beating the #150 team which is much harder than beating the #250 team.

OU lost 3 games all season to non-tourney teams, with one being a bubble team in UT, none at home. Texas lost 6 to non-tourney teams, only TCU even being bubble teams, three at home. That’s the huge difference.

OU was in the high 30s in NET, SOR, RPI, BPI, and KenPom which is a tourney level team at every metric. They aren’t world-beaters and are a risk to score 30 against Virginia if they beat Ole Miss. But you can’t pull any team who missed the field and say their resume is better and OUs is clearly better than at least the 3 I mentioned.

43 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Would it surprise you if you realized that the committee doesn't consider conference record at all? In fact, it's not even on the team sheets.

Would it surprise you if you realized that the committee doesn't consider conference record at all? In fact, it's not even on the team sheets.

And they shouldn’t. The mouthbreathers saying you should have to be .500 in conference are so obnoxious. That’s such a silly arbitrary rule.

So in their minds OU shouldn’t currently get a bid but if they swept Baylor instead of getting swept but also lost to Florida and Wofford instead of beating them now they would be worthy?

19-13 against that schedule is 19-13 which should either be worthy or not. It’s lazy to say it should matter which of those 19 wins are in conference vs out of conference.

23 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

OU also beat Wofford, Florida, and Creighton OOC and also a pile of teams like Dayton and Wichita St who aren’t “exciting OMG” wins but had top 100 rankings. Not playing Q4 games makes it harder to just stockpile free wins, but scanning schedules most people just look at tourney teams vs non-tourney, but beating the #85 team in the country over and over is much harder than beating the #150 team which is much harder than beating the #250 team.

This is why the RPI (obviously a terrible metric but still) has overvalued KU over the years.  They're very good at scheduling pay day games against teams that are going to be pretty good in their league and ultimately run up a pretty good record over the season, and they practically never a truly shit team.  The metrics similarly love OU, because of all those 25-100 games.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

This is why the RPI (obviously a terrible metric but still) has overvalued KU over the years.  They're very good at scheduling pay day games against teams that are going to be pretty good in their league and ultimately run up a pretty good record over the season, and they practically never a truly shit team.  The metrics similarly love OU, because of all those 25-100 games.

KU has had a practice under Self of always playing projected conference winners in the noncon.  That has helped our RPI/SOS a ton.  Putting together the champions classic where we are guaranteed a game against either UK, MSU, or Duke each year is also great for our schedule.  You could make an argument that one of the worst games on our schedule each year is the PAC team we always seem to play. 

Like I said earlier, if you are a P5 team and you aren't getting into the tournament then you either 1. Suck something truly shitty or 2. Had an administrative failure with scheduling.  There are very few teams in the P5 that are solid at large teams with a SOS worse than 45.  This year those teams are Tech, Ole Miss, Washington, and ASU.  Those teams won 26, 20, 26, and 22 games, respectively. I'd say the only "solid" at large team in that pile is Tech.  Those other 3 spots should have gone to mid-major teams that won 26+ games in my opinion.

My thinking has evolved greatly over the last 5 years of really closely looking at team sheets and resumes.  I think my opinion has come to of the 36 at large bids 12-14 should go to mid-major/low major teams.  Let's stop using eye ball tests and hypothetical scenarios between a small/mid major and a P5 team.  The P5 has all year to prove they are good and the smaller teams have about 4 weeks total to prove the same.  I say just give 12-14 at large bids to the small teams and let the P5 be compared against each other for the other 22 bids.