2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

The 6-foot-4 wing averaged 11.8 points, 4.9 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.3 steals in 27 minutes per game. He is currently ranked No. 20 in the ESPN 100 draft rankings. NBA teams are intrigued by his 7-foot-1 wingspan, as well as the fact that he doesn't turn 19 years old until November 25, making him the youngest college player currently projected to get drafted.

#20 ain’t bad. 

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Iowa State is going to look different next year. 

Talen Horton-Tucker intrigues NBA front offices because of his age – he didn’t turn 18 until he’d already played six games this season for the Cyclones – and a 6-foot-4, 248-pound frame that features a plus-7-foot wingspan and guard skills. He averaged 11.8 points and 4.9 rebounds per game while shooting 40.6 percent from the floor and 30.8 percent from distance.

Given his measurables and a ceiling, it’s easy to see how NBA evaluators could fall in love with his potential as he goes through the predraft process.

Underclassmen have until May 29th to decide whether or not they will return to school.

Edited by LTtxfan
Spystud13 beat me by a couple minutes....

On 4/4/2019 at 5:00 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Looks like both the Lawson brothers are gone. Not sure why Self took a risk on those two. Both headcases that were going to be attrition risks. Either way, Kansas is going to look drastically different next year. 

Dedric is an all American. When an AA wants to come to your school and you are asked to bring his brother in a package deal then you bring them both. Everyone knew this was a possibility and no one is surprised. If we didn’t have injuries and suspensions we might be playing for a title right now. 

Doke leaving would be a bit of a surprise. Grimes doesn’t necessarily seem bought in at this point but he has a body and talent to waste a draft pick on. Ku has a lot of openings coming up. Should be interesting to see how we fill them given everything that is going on. 

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Isn't Doke a senior? Or is he eligible for a redshirt?

Nope. He’s actually only a junior and might have qualified for a medical red shirt this year. Mitch lightfoot is our only senior next year I believe. 

On 4/8/2019 at 2:05 AM, Goo Punch said:

I bet this ends next year. 

1- Iowa State is probably going to take a step back. 

2-Kansas will probably be good but there are a lot of questions. 

3- Kansas State loses its 3 best players in Stokes, Brown JR, and Wade. They will almost certainly take a step back. 

4- Tech loses Culver, Odiase, Mooney, Owens and Francis. Beard did a hell of a job rebuilding this year after losing a lot so maybe he can do it again. 

5- Texas loses Osetkowski, Roach, and probably Hayes. 

6- OU loses James, Reynolds, Calixte, Odomes, and McNeace. 

7- TCU loses Robinson and Miller. They also had a lot of attrition during the year.

8-West Virginia loses West, Bolden, Ahmad, Harris, and maybe Konate. 

9-Baylor loses Mason and McClure. They do return quite a bit. 

10-Oklahoma State returns almost everyone and should be drastically improved. 

That is a lot of attrition but you can fix roster issues with grad transfers. It seems like next year will be a step back though for the conference. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Congrats on being the new basketball school in a football conference. ;) You're Kansas. 

You are SOOOO wrong.

We're a baseball school too...

Under the expanded agreement, hundreds of additional Big 12 sports events annually will be presented under the new Big 12-branded offering on ESPN+, with each participating Big 12 Conference school assigning available rights to ESPN and delivering more than 50 exclusive events per year. The lineup will include:

An exclusive regular-season football game each season from each participating school, as well as any spring football games;
All regular season and exhibition men’s basketball games not distributed on ESPN’s linear networks (expected to be upwards of 75 games per year);
Women’s basketball and other conference sports such as volleyball, soccer, wrestling, softball, baseball and more;
Select Big 12 Conference championship events and original content.
Eight of the conference’s 10 schools will produce and deliver multiple sports under the new Big 12-branded platform on ESPN+, with schools joining on a rolling basis. Starting in 2019, there will be games from Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State and Oklahoma State, in addition to the select Big 12 Conference championship events.

In 2020-21, Iowa State, TCU, West Virginia and Texas Tech will join the lineup. Due to existing long-term rights agreements, Texas (the Longhorn Network) and Oklahoma will not produce and deliver programming included on ESPN+ at this time, but will be featured as road teams in games listed under the new Big 12-branded offering on the service.

13 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Starting early with the “we suck we won’t win” stuff. 

Not really.  Was more of a ‘never forget how habitual sports analysts can be.’

None of us Tech boys thought the ‘7th in the Big XII’ was remotely close to accurate. 

We're going to suck next year, but I'll probably hate watching the team less if that makes any sense.  Lard was a head case, Wigginton is absolutely a "me first" guy, and THT was madly inconsistent.  I like all the guys that are left.  If we pick up a grad transfer or two we could have a team with a similar outcome to this past year, which given the lower talent level will match my expectations more closely.

It seems THT is a lock to get drafted, but I have no idea for the life of me why.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

14 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Grimes declared but not sure if he intends to hire an agent. 

In other news, I have no clue why some have Kansas in the top 10 in their preseason polls. That roster currently constructed probably isn't even a top 25 roster. Maybe with a few grad transfers. 

You can hire and agent and still come back under the new rules, but it sounds like Grimes is gone gone.

Top 10 is high but KU should be a solid top 25 team even after Azubuike declares. I would imagine the defections will allow them to sell playing time to recruits, so I’d expect a couple adds and they have a borderline elite PG to build around that’s got a year of experience now.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We're going to suck next year, but I'll probably hate watching the team less if that makes any sense.  Lard was a head case, Wigginton is absolutely a "me first" guy, and THT was madly inconsistent.  I like all the guys that are left.  If we pick up a grad transfer or two we could have a team with a similar outcome to this past year, which given the lower talent level will match my expectations more closely.

It seems THT is a lock to get drafted, but I have no idea for the life of me why.

You know, when all the crap went down at Okie State in the early part of the season this year, I thought they were completely done for and would not be even remotely competitive for the rest of the season.

But that team played their hearts out through conference and were entertaining to watch. Nearly upset Tech on the road.  

Next year may not as suck as much as you think.

You know, when all the crap went down at Okie State in the early part of the season this year, I thought they were completely done for and would not be even remotely competitive for the rest of the season.
But that team played their hearts out through conference and were entertaining to watch. Nearly upset Tech on the road.  
Next year may not as suck as much as you think.

I think they’ll play tough and be fairly fun to watch, but we have a fuck ton of points to replace.

Setting my expectations low and hoping for a surprise.
  • Like 1

Next year will be interesting to see for Chris Beard. This will be the first time he doesn't have a bunch of veterans on the team. In fact, we won't have a single senior on the roster besides one walk-on unless Beard nabs a grad transfer or two. We will be talented but it will be interesting to see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

I wonder how the testimony and trial will impact programs. I believe that is next week. 

That's not the only factor.  A judge ruled that the FBI evidence should be sealed unless another judge rules it shouldn't be then the NCAA is going to have dick to work with.  The NCAA drama and recruiting is going to be NBA level drama this summer.

On 4/10/2019 at 5:55 PM, Jhawk said:

Starting early with the “we suck we won’t win” stuff.   (reply to slorch by Jhawk)

On 4/13/2019 at 9:18 PM, Jhawk said:

Out of nowhere, Devon Dotson declares from KU. They say they plan on being back but this would be a major blow. If we lose KJ, dedric, Vick, Moore, doke, Silvio, and Dotson we might not make the tourney next year. 

Jhawk exhibiting ......'the pot calling the kettle black'

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

That one is a real head scratcher.

Play your ass off for one year and make it to the show.

Might not have what it takes mentally to be the third guy in a row to get drafted early from Beard’s squad.  Those questions lingered all season... now there’s the answer.

Not sure how one ignores Beard’s blueprint and the examples of Smith and Culver, only to opt out and say, ‘ This ain’t the place for me.’

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Dirk X West said:

Khavon Moore has entered the transfer portal.  He evidently has a baby in another state, but it's hard not to think that he couldn't or wouldn't buy in to the program and saw the writing in the wall.

His family/entourage wasn't happy about him getting redshirted and then he has spent all his time in Georgia since spring break due to his kid being born. Tech's better off without him and his entourage.

Edit: not that Khavon is a bad kid. He seems to really like Tech and was cheering the team on during the run, he just has some "handlers" that didn't like the approach Beard took with him this season, which was bizarre because he was still rehabbing a broken leg anyway. He's probably better off playing somewhere close to home so he can be with his kid.

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Like 1