2018-2019 Rangers Offseason Thread

CowtownHorn

4 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Hard pass on Girardi. He’s a good manager but we’re trying to develop young players and don’t need a hardass 

Only 2 more seasons of Choo and his $21m/year contract!

I hear ya...but all the other names being thrown around don’t excite me either. Good times!

14 hours ago, DougO said:

Beltre should be offered some kind of player/coach deal, like the olden days. He is a valuable presence and can still hit.

Seems like I read somewhere that they offered him something like that and he declined. Said he when he was done playing, then he was done.

29 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I've done a poor job following the last couple of years.  Is there a glimmer of hope?  Is our farm system any good?

We’re not going to be ranked high in the farm rankings, but we have some interesting guys in the system. Lots of promising, but risky, pitchers and pure athletes. 

Much of our highly touted farm system from a few years ago is in the majors now (Profar, Maz, Gallo, even Odor). Hope is that a new manager can flip a switch.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2018 at 9:19 AM, TheFlagship said:

We’re not going to be ranked high in the farm rankings, but we have some interesting guys in the system. Lots of promising, but risky, pitchers and pure athletes. 

Much of our highly touted farm system from a few years ago is in the majors now (Profar, Maz, Gallo, even Odor). Hope is that a new manager can flip a switch.

This...It's not going to be high on any rankings, but that's mostly because our best talent is still down in Single-A. It will take at least another year before you start seeing the results. But heavy on acquiring pitching prospects the last couple of years.

Seems like a no-brainer pick, considering his extensive MLB coaching experience.

Coaching

Woodward retired on November 1, 2012 and joined the Seattle Mariners organization as minor league infield coordinator.[15] He became the Mariners' infield coach in 2014,[16] but opted not to return for the 2016 season.[17] On December 17, 2015, he was named the third base coach for the Los Angeles Dodgers.[18]

Woodward managed New Zealand in the 2017 World Baseball Classic qualification tournament in Australia in 2016.[19]

On November 2, 2018, Woodward was hired to be the manager of the Texas Rangers for the 2019 season.[20]