2018-2019 Rangers Offseason Thread

CowtownHorn

16 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

Guess Chirinos won’t be back

Fantastic. Hits like a AA player but "teams value his defense".

Oh yeah - he's also 36 playing the most demanding position in the game. 

His SLG% was freaking .272. 

We might not win 50 games this season. Christ. 

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Fantastic. Hits like a AA player but "teams value his defense".

Oh yeah - he's also 36 playing the most demanding position in the game. 

His SLG% was freaking .272. 

We might not win 50 games this season. Christ. 

We weren't winning anything next year. His job is going to be to help train our young pitchers and catchers.

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He going to be in frisco or Nashville?

Let's wait and see what our starting rotation is. Right now, I think Mike Minor is the only one we have that will be a starter next year. But we do know that Trevino and IKF are going to be our main catcher and back up catcher for the next few years. They have a combined 38 games as catcher. 

59 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Oh pshaw pshaw. Gallo ain't perfect but that man ripped 40 homers last year. Shitty BA but he had close to a .500 SLG in 2018. We're talking about a guy that can't crack .300.

The comment about Gallo was just sarcasm. I'm a Gallo fan.

Here is how I see it. We're going to be bad next year. Maybe worse than this year. We're probably going to be mediocre the year after that. The best thing we can do is save money, develop young players,  and get high draft pics. I think this guy will help with the second one. And he's pretty cheap. 

Edited by Jameslaw121

Just now, Jameslaw121 said:

The comment about Gallo was just sarcasm. I'm a Gallo fan.

Here is how I see it. We're going to be bad next year. Maybe worse than this year. We're probably going to be mediocre the year after that. The best thing we can do is save money, develop young players,  and get high draft pics.

I know it was sarcasm - hence the pshaw pshaw. 

But yes - we are going into full rebuild hibernation unfortunately. It was a fun run while it lasted. Maybe the new Park can inject some life into the FO. 

• Like 1

Tocci would almost definitely start in Nashville next year. And he certainly looked like a bust most of last year, but he ended the last two months  batting .293. So there is some hope.  He's only 23 and he's one of the few righties we have in the outfield as well. (I think as of right now Delino is the only other outfielder who bats right)

18 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

So now our projected starters (not in order)

Matt Minor

Drew Smyly

Edison Volquez

Lance Lynn

????

5 TJ surgeries between those 4 pitchers......

I could see us doing some kind of opener/bullpen thing with the last spot. Or maybe we can bring back Bartolo for entertainment value.

Keith Law on Lynn:

The Rangers fell to 67-95 and last place in the AL West last year for many reasons, but their run prevention was a huge one. They allowed 848 runs, tied for second-most in the AL, because they allowed the second-most homers and struck out fewer opposing batters than any other AL team. Their depth chart prior to the winter meetings included exactly one starter who made even 10 starts last year, and that guy, Mike Minor, just finished his first season as a major-league starter since 2014. Adding any starters, even mediocre ones, with the potential to make 25-30 starts was obligatory if the Rangers wanted to survive the 2019 season. They went further than that and added one of the best starters on the market in Lance Lynn, signing him to a reported three-year, $30 million deal, a surprisingly low annual salary given what he showed at the end of 2018.

Lynn missed 2016 after Tommy John surgery and returned quickly to make 33 starts in 2017 and 29 more last year, but his potential value was masked by a terrible stretch by the Twins to start last season. After the Yankees acquired Lynn in a trade, he returned to his previous pitching plan, going up with his four-seamer more, and all of his results were better. By Baseball-Reference's WAR, which is based on runs allowed, he generated twice the value in two months for the Yankees that he did in four months for the Twins. Given that performance and his 3-WAR year in 2017, Lynn should be an easy projection for 30 or so starts and at least two wins of value per year on the contract, which might make him the Rangers' best starter this season.

At $10 million per year, that kind of production would make Lynn a bargain for any team, even a non-contending one. That in turn would give the Rangers a very tradeable asset come July or next offseason if they aren't contending in that span -- a scenario I think is likely, given where the Astros sit, Oakland's success last season and an Angels club that continues to push to make the playoffs while it still has noted Eagles fan Mike Trout under contract.