2018-2019 Rangers Offseason Thread

CowtownHorn

I really want to root for this franchise, but Jesus Christ, they make it so easy for fans to just say “fuck this shit.”

Swaying free agents under the guise of a new stadium is complete chicken shit stuff fit for Houston. Now they’re gonna use fake turf? Fuck this is gonna be ugly

• Like 1

I really want to root for this franchise, but Jesus Christ, they make it so easy for fans to just say “fuck this shit.”
Swaying free agents under the guise of a new stadium is complete chicken shit stuff fit for Houston. Now they’re gonna use fake turf? Fuck this is gonna be ugly

Agreed. Shit is becoming a joke. I will always be a life long fan but I wouldn't call people out who bail. Fake turf is so dumb. Are we trying to become the Ray's?

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
9 hours ago, Blanton said:

Read more  

Agreed. Shit is becoming a joke. I will always be a life long fan but I wouldn't call people out who bail. Fake turf is so dumb. Are we trying to become the Ray's?

Yeah it just seems like a cop-out to be ‘innovative’ but I think it’s just a means to make a quick buck. 

Pisses me off because the current stadium is pretty awesome. I’d be down for a new stadium under the caveat that it be in downtown Dallas or at least Dallas proper. Nope. You’re gonnna get a Minute Maid in Arlington and like it. 

3 minutes ago, Blanton said:

Yeah it just seems like a cop-out to be ‘innovative’ but I think it’s just a means to make a quick buck. 

Pisses me off because the current stadium is pretty awesome. I’d be down for a new stadium under the caveat that it be in downtown Dallas or at least Dallas proper. Nope. You’re gonnna get a Minute Maid in Arlington and like it. 

I have always wanted downtown Dallas baseball. I didn't care if the Cowboys moved there because it's just 8 games a year and you plan way in advance to go to those games. You could put the stadium in Waxahachie and it wouldn't make a shit. People will still come with ease because the nature of how the games are scheduled.

But with baseball being a weekday sport and 81 games a year at home, you want it to be centrally located and to where it's easy to get to in terms of alternate transportation. It is a pain in the ass for so many to travel out to Arlington fighting the hectic rush hour traffic in the Metroplex. And there is no public transportation to get out there. I love the location of the AAC. I could hop on the DART rail after work and head about 5 miles north to the arena and be dropped off right in front and then ride it back. You can decide at the last minute to go to one of their games. Not the Rangers, though. Not fighting traffic trying to get to Arlington.

Studies have already shown there are more fans of the Rangers closer to the Dallas area than out west in Tarrant county. Would it piss them off since the Rangers have been there since they moved here? Sure and it would be understandable. But the Rangers in downtown Dallas would be fucking awesome. 

• Like 2

A majority of season ticket holders live in Tarrant County.

1 minute ago, Dr Fear said:
11 minutes ago, Blanton said:

A majority of season ticket holders live in Tarrant County.

Well yeah, why the hell would Dallas county want season tickets? It's not worth it due to the location. To fight traffic out there every day of the week. Put the stadium in downtown Dallas and it would be the exact same thing. All those season tickets would be held by Dallas county residents now. Tarrant county would drop off. And attendance would increase during the week because of how convenient the location is. All the people working in that area during the week could easily go to the game after work.

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Which do you want AC or grass? 

Of course my preference is for actual leaves, but if there's not enough light to grow it then artificial it is.

Every damn year someone wishes it was in downtown Dallas. 

It ain't gonna happen. 

We all know it won't happen. It never will. Unfortunately they will be in shitty Arlington the rest of their days. And now they are getting a goofy new stadium that mimics the juice box in Houston and with fake turf. There was absolutely nothing wrong with their current stadium. But oh well, not my tax dollars at work.

21 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

We all know it won't happen. It never will. Unfortunately they will be in shitty Arlington the rest of their days. And now they are getting a goofy new stadium that mimics the juice box in Houston and with fake turf. There was absolutely nothing wrong with their current stadium. But oh well, not my tax dollars at work.

I disagree. It was fucking hot. I look at it this way, Would I go to a day game in August by myself? Absolutely. Would I be willing to take my wife and 5 year old? No way,they would be miserable. The new stadium isn't for the die hards like us. It's for the people on the fringe who are choosing between going to a game or doing something indoors. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I disagree. It was fucking hot. I look at it this way, Would I go to a day game in August by myself? Absolutely. Would I be willing to take my wife and 5 year old? No way,they would be miserable. The new stadium isn't for the die hards like us. It's for the people on the fringe who are choosing between going to a game or doing something indoors. 

No I get that. I don't have kids so I do not think of that aspect of going to a game. But even without kids, some of the games out there if you are not under a cover is pretty miserable. The worst game I went to was the Saturday before Labor Day in 2016. We were playing the Astros. A buddy got some last minute tickets in the seats in LF. I think it was like 99 that day. No wind at all. And that sun is right in front of you. We lasted about 5-6 innings and said fuck this and went to watch the remaining in the Jack Daniels club right behind us or whatever they call that now. But I will then say on the flip side, how many of those types of games are there? The day games are usually Sunday afternoon and sometimes on Saturday. The schedule does not have them home every weekend and it is not that hot for the ones they do play at home in the day. Did those few games being hot justify getting a whole new stadium when we have had an outdoor stadium and dealing with the TX heat now for this many decades?

I just think indoor for baseball takes away from the experience in a way. I honestly have never seen a baseball game indoors. Not sure how it will be. 

Honestly I'm bummed about the new stadium. I'm one of those people who think that baseball should be played outdoors and the Texas heat isn't really a factor in my opinion. Those hot day games are usually weekend games that sell out anyway or are midweek day games because the team is traveling to the west coast. I really enjoy the April and May months at the ballpark. There's nothing like it. Even the rain delays are something special. I haven't been invited to pick my seats for 2020 but I'm expecting prices to double. It will probably price me out which sucks because I got my seats at the ballpark thinking that I would have them for the next 30-40 years. After all, the ballpark is barely 25 years old and the team has a firm commitment to the city of Arlington. They wouldn't build a new stadium next door and have Arlington taxpayers pay for it right?

This might sound bad but I don't like the idea of sporting events being more family friendly. You squeeze out the diehards like me who come to the game win or lose and you go all-in on families who are more likely to stay home if the team isn't doing well. I remember growing up it wasn't uncommon for my dad and I to go to a game by ourselves but bringing my mom and siblings? That almost never happened. If the team wasn't winning they would just whine and complain all game long.

• Like 1

Yeah I 100% agree that baseball is an outdoor sport and should be played as such, and I hope there are plenty of days and nights where they have the roof open. (Any clear night where it’s under 90 degrees should be a given-this is Texas, and those are the best kind of nights anyway). But having been to plenty of day games where you roast like a pig and get sunburned as hell, I certainly welcome the roof and AC for those days. I just hope they don’t do what Houston does and close the roof 95% of the time. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Contending?

The AL is mostly garbage. If the Rangers were to sign Harper, I could see them in wild card contention with the A’s, Angels, twins and Rays. Is that “contending?” - depends on you’re definition. If you make the playoffs, you’re a contender to me.

Also at this point in the offseason, the Astros are by far worse than they were last year and are an injury or two from not even being a playoff team. Again, in the unlikely event the Rangers signed Harper, they could be there to capitalize.

The AL is mostly garbage. If the Rangers were to sign Harper, I could see them in wild card contention with the A’s, Angels, twins and Rays. Is that “contending?” - depends on you’re definition. If you make the playoffs, you’re a contender to me.
Also at this point in the offseason, the Astros are by far worse than they were last year and are an injury or two from not even being a playoff team. Again, in the unlikely event the Rangers signed Harper, they could be there to capitalize.
You think we're going to jump from 67 wins to around 97? With a starting rotation that currently has three pitchers who combined for 16 innings last year?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

You think we're going to jump from 67 wins to around 97? With a starting rotation that currently has three pitchers who combined for 16 innings last year?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

97 def not. But 87 if we were to get Harper? Sure maybe. Harper is worth at least 6 extra wins by himself, if not more. The pitching last year was so terrible, even league average from our group of spares would add another 6 wins too. Then you’re just looking for 6 more to come from improvements from young players and you’re in WC contention. This is all moot tho cause there’s no fucking way he’s signing here.

5 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

97 def not. But 87 if we were to get Harper? Sure maybe. Harper is worth at least 6 extra wins by himself, if not more. The pitching last year was so terrible, even league average from our group of spares would add another 6 wins too. Then you’re just looking for 6 more to come from improvements from young players and you’re in WC contention. This is all moot tho cause there’s no fucking way he’s signing here.

It might be a moot point, but what else are we going to talk about??

Harper might be able to make up 6 wins, but we also lost the 3 or so wins from Beltre.

20 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The next question is would either of those players come here for 30 per?  I believe the answer is no. 

I wouldn't rule out Harper, and it's well known that Texas is going to back up the truck with an offer for Nolan Arronado next winter. 

On 12/21/2018 at 4:06 PM, Get ln My Van said:

I was referring to Odor as the flash in the pan. We signed him to 6 years after 1 good season. Good GMs don’t do that. 

harper and arenado >>>>>>>> harper machado.  f machado, that dude is a piece of shit.

Georgia-based Shaw Sports Turf will provide the playing surface, which will use what the company calls “B1K” technology – a synthetic grass with an infill consisting of coconut husks and fibers, rather than the traditional rubber pellets found in other artificial turf fields.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports/mlb/rangers/the-texas-rangers-will-play-on-synthetic-grass-and-coconut-husks-at-globe-life-field/287-d52b9471-5243-41f8-9045-05ff22d437e4