Online Fraud

So, I randomly checked my HSBC savings account yesterday and found that someone hacked my account and wire transferred $9,200 to themselves. 

The reciepient is listed in the transfer details as Michael Benson Knepp. This person may or may not have anything to do with it, but curious that his name is on the transaction  

I filed a police report with APD and the bank has been generally unhelpful. Like they don’t even care. 

Question is: have any of you ever had this happen and what did you do about it? And if this Knepp person posts on Surly he has a neg coming his way. 

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I had my credit card get hacked in Texas, somebody in California maxed it out at Kmart (yeah, Kmart). Went to my credit union, UFCU in Austin, they handled it all, police report and everything, while I sat there.

Of course, the credit card was toast, but I wasn't out even a dime.

I've found that my credit union is a million times better than any bank I've ever had when it comes to everything.

16 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I've found that my credit union is a million times better than any bank I've ever had when it comes to everything.

Eso si que es.

I have some IRAs at UFCU so I was able to keep the checking and savings lines open with zero fees even though I wasn't using them anymore, because I moved several states away and was conditioned to think I needed a local bank for whatever reason. After one particularly shitty local bank experience, I realized UFCU had treated me great for 16 years, so what if I wasn't in Texas anymore? I fired the local bank, got my paycheck direct-deposited to my old UFCU checking, that thing cranked right back up.

Now it's been several more years without a single silly fee. I don't have any UFCU ATMs nearby, but that isn't really a thing any more. If I want a little cash, I just get cash back at the grocery store, zero fee.

I guess a local bank would be useful for home loans, but when we refi'd back when rates were about 2%, we got more crap offers from local banks, and ended up using a mortgage broker instead.