Eggnog Time, Mother Fuckers

43 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

This thread was inspirational.  I went for it yesterday and made egg nog following the Alton Brown recipe.  Holy shit, I feel like a Philistine.  

Had some store bought in the fridge and almost had to spit it out after drinking the homemade.

Cheers. 

IMG_5652.jpg.b8219e0d1b9699e15b8ab502f8b288ab.jpg

Well done.  Once you've had homemade, store-bought stuff is completely undrinkable.  I grew up thinking I hated egg nog because all I'd ever had was premade.  Then when my then-girlfriend-now-wife made some of her family recipe homemade nog for me, it changed my outlook completely.

As many have said before, they're not even the same beverage.

• Hook 'Em 1

I made a batch of Alton's aged nog last Sunday.  Used 2 Stars bourbon, Hennessy, and Navy Bay rum.  All told, it made 3 quart mason jars with just enough left over for me to sample a glass un-aged.  Pretty tasty, but I'm thinking it will be well worth the wait.  For whatever reason, not all of my sugar dissolved with mixing with the yolks.  I beat them pretty good, but eventually decided the sugar just wasn't going to dissolve until the booze was added.  Hopefully everything gets good and acquainted over the next couple weeks.  I might crack open a jar this weekend for Lights in the Heights.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
So Alton’s “regular” recipe uses the egg whites, but the aged recipe leaves them out. Has anyone tried both? I don’t want to age it I want drink it now but I’ve always included the whites.

Made the regular tonight but up'd the booze from the recipe a bit. I'm thinking about switching to no whites next year. Always have to mix or stir to get them back incorporated.

Anyway, we've made it both ways and I definitely prefer it WITH the whites.  You separate the eggs and whip them separately, to soft peaks.  It provides more body/structure to the final product, but you definitely need to let it sit at least overnight, so the mixture can "relax" a little bit.

I still have a couple quarts I saved off fom the 7 gallons we made for our party.  I was going to keep them until next year, but I'm pretty sure they're not going to make it past this weekend.

On 12/24/2019 at 2:31 PM, Buzzrock said:

So Alton’s “regular” recipe uses the egg whites, but the aged recipe leaves them out. Has anyone tried both? I don’t want to age it I want drink it now but I’ve always included the whites.

i'm assuming the whites deflate after a bit so, if you're aging, going through the extra steps doesn't ultimately add anything. 

this stuff is pretty good after a month.  going to leave one mason jar in the  back until next year to see what the difference is. 

• 4 months later...

I just noticed a big fat mason jar of the Alton nog peeking at me from the back of the fridge.  I made it a week before Christmas.  Looking at this quote from the recipe, it sounds like I might need to have a drink.

Yeah, this recipe has a lot of booze in it, but safety is always first and you’ll want at least 20 percent alcohol by volume to stamp out any microbial baddies the raw eggs might have brought on board. I also think the various natural flavorants in the spirits provide a fantastic complexity as the nog ages, with my peak target generally being between 4 and 6 months.

6 minutes ago, threesheets said:

I just noticed a big fat mason jar of the Alton nog peeking at me from the back of the fridge.  I made it a week before Christmas.  Looking at this quote from the recipe, it sounds like I might need to have a drink.

hah, happened to us a couple years ago.  ours didn't have liquor in it though =/

7 hours ago, threesheets said:

made mine in early november.  was planning on waiting it out a year but maybe not

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, threesheets said:

I just took a look at mine (batched last December).  Looks great.  Perfect consistency.  Only thing I noticed is it looks like all the nutmeg is stuck to the bottom of the jar.

I don't ever put nutmeg into the nog itself, but always have fresh nutmeg and a grater for when it is served.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, threesheets said:

I just took a look at mine (batched last December).  Looks great.  Perfect consistency.  Only thing I noticed is it looks like all the nutmeg is stuck to the bottom of the jar.

That always happens to mine.  I have to shake it up before I pour some out.

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

Both is the correct answer. I put some in the brew and will add more when we drink it. 

We serve around 100 people (in non-COVID-years) and I don't know why, but some folks don't like nutmeg.  Fresh-grated on top at the time of pouring is the way we roll.  And since it's perfect that way, no worries at all.

On 12/9/2019 at 9:18 PM, utee94 said:

Well done.  Once you've had homemade, store-bought stuff is completely undrinkable.  I grew up thinking I hated egg nog because all I'd ever had was premade.  Then when my then-girlfriend-now-wife made some of her family recipe homemade nog for me, it changed my outlook completely.

As many have said before, they're not even the same beverage.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=296171710990322  

Probably not eggnog, but it could be

Edited by Blotto

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

nog went in the fridge on Sunday.  An appropriate first use for the kitchenaid mixer we picked up off the local buy/sell group.  

Based upon the amazingness of just drinking that last little bit of leftover nog in the mixing bowl, no way any of it lasts past christmas

You can always make more!

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

ideas for egg white usage?  i think i still have a pint in the back of the freezer from last year's nog.  meringue is the obvious one, of course.

I made a pavlova with some of mine. Used others to make pisco sours. Egg white omelettes. Angel food cake is always a great choice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mixed our aged batch up tonight.  It seems even better this year, not sure why.  Only thing different was he bought Promised Land whole milk because HEB was out of their brand and we had to use a 1/4 cup of Flor de Cana rum because we didn't have quite enough of the Belizean stuff we normally use.

• 2 weeks later...

Made our first batch of the season last night, just a small one since we’re not doing our huge annual holiday party this year for obvious reasons.  We’ll have 3 other families over, tonight for a distanced backyard get together around the  fire pit.

AD7C0DA7-9C63-4B36-AEC2-1FC7B58CF689.jpeg

91A0E297-F93D-4B97-894E-4E2DDD867946.jpeg

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...