Eggnog Time, Mother Fuckers

For bourbon I use Bulleit. It's not expensive and a good one for mixed drinks. I always have a bottle on my shelf, and not one I usually drink straight, although I airways enjoy it when I do. I just have others that I prefer. For rum I use Appleton, but something like Plantation is also good. Something in the $20 price range.

If you don't drink a lot of liquor, be aware that his recipe is pretty liquor forward, using 3 different kinds. You can definitely taste it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I’ve got about a pint in the back of the fridge since last year. My neighbors are scared of it. I can’t wait to break it out. First time I’ve aged some this long.

i have a pint of 2019, 20, and 21.  guess i drank all the 22. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah somewhere back on this thread I talked about doing a vertical when I had batches from multiple past years, I know I've gone back 2 years and maybe 3?  No danger, it all went down fine, but honestly I've come to the conclusion that I don't think longtime aging does all that much for it.  The flavor mellows out but the mixture relaxes so much, and one of the things I like most about homemade eggnog is the frothy creaminess of it.  That goes away over time.

For me the sweet spot is making ahead by 2-3 days.  The flavor mellows out some, but you don't lose all the frothy creaminess.  

All that said I do have a quart put back from last year, so we'll do another vertical with the fresh-made batch when we make it for our party in early December.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not quite sure how I posted in this thread a month ago then forgot it existed...  but here we are.

I just made another batch but used dark rum as the main and Kahlua for a different flavor...  It might be a disaster, but I'll report back.

Other non purist mods...  instead of nutmeg, LIGHTLY sprinkle Demorera sugar on the top.  Gives a richer darker flavor and a little texture.

10 hours ago, Blotto said:

First year making nog. Went with the AB recipe. It's not as thick as I would have guessed, but damn, it's nice and boozy. I'll leave it here until I return for xmas and crack into it. 

AB's standard recipe calls for whole milk.  My family recipe uses half and half instead.  The half and half makes it thicker, creamier, and better.

Alternatively if you used AB's "aged eggnog" recipe, he uses whole milk plus half and half, but omits the egg whites.  The egg whites provide more thickness and structure.  I think he omits them for the aged recipe because over time, those egg whites relax and lose their body.  So if you're going to age it anyway, it's a pointless step.

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn. I just pulled my one-year jar out of the back of the fridge to check on it, and something is off. It immediately smelled funny and a little taste and yep, it’s off. I wonder what happened, I’ve checked on it over the months and it has always been delicious. We haven’t had any notable power outages.

On 11/23/2023 at 10:55 AM, utee94 said:

If you're going to age it, then that works fine.  If not, then I'd suggest using the egg whites as well as the yolks.  I'd also suggest using half and half rather than whole milk.

So, the exact AB recipe without separating the eggs at all and substitute half and half for the whole milk? Results in thicker nog? How long might it be good?

1 minute ago, Frank The Tank said:

So, the exact AB recipe without separating the eggs at all and substitute half and half for the whole milk? Results in thicker nog? How long might it be good?

No, you still have to separate the eggs.  They won't whip correctly otherwise. 

I've kept nog in the fridge for up to 3 years, it's fine.  

• Like 2

Wait, doesn't her fist line in the instructions say "Beat eggs, add bourbon...?"

If you don't whip the egg whites, your mixture will be runnier with less structure.  It's not the end of the world but I prefer the texture with egg whites whipped to soft peaks and then folded in.

Edited by utee94

Wait, doesn't her fist line in the instructions say "Beat eggs, add bourbon...?"
If you don't whip the egg whites, your mixture will be runnier with less structure.  It's not the end of the world but I prefer the texture with egg whites whipped to soft peaks and then folded in.

It does, but it’s not to the same consistency as one would if beating whites to soft peaks. Appears you just beat to mix and then the important part is the slow mix of the booze so as not to denature the proteins.

I’ve always made AB’s aged nog and while it’s good, as others have noted it tends to collapse over time and I haven’t really noted any real benefit to the aging process. Also, it tends to be thinner than what I want from nog. I’m hoping the good doctor’s recipe hits the sweet spot for viscosity on a three week aging to christmas

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

I’m gonna have to double my AB recipe next year. I just can’t get enough, and now the extended family has started enjoying it as well. Not enough to go around!

We make 5-7 gallons of nog every year for our party.  It's never enough.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

since this year's batch was probably the best i've made i'm going to put some notes for next year.

i use alton brown's ratios (12 yolks, #1 sugar, pint and a half each whole milk and heavy cream, 1 cup each jamaican rum, bib evan williams, and cognac), with josh weissman's spice mix (tablespoon vanilla, 2 tsp cinnamon, heaping 1/2 teaspoon clove, 3+ tbsp ginger powder, 1 tbsp nutmeg). 

i slowly added the sugar into the yolks which made for a very thick mixture, very stiff ribbons.  i whipped the cream a bit, not all the way to whipped cream but enough i could tell some air was getting into it.  think i dumped the eggs into the cream.  then blended hard with the hand mixer, added booze and spices, and into the jars. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, threesheets said:

Last jar of this season's coquito will meet its demise during this mega-freeze.

20240113_144633.jpg

Awesome!  I found one more quart jar at the back of the extra fridge last week, we downed it last  night.  It's so good.