Scotch

Bozo_Casanova

I’m a fan of most of the Ardbegs and Laphroaigs.  I like Lagavulin 16.  From Balvenie,  I enjoy the 21yr Portwood and Tun 1509.  For an after dinner pour, can’t beat Dalmore’s Cigar Malt or their 18yr.  The Glendronach Parliament is my favorite  highland followed by Glenmorangie.

For blends, no one does it better than John Glaser at Compass Box.  Best blender on the planet, hands down.  

For globals,  Yamazaki Sherry or Mizunara are stellar.  For a more an affordable global, Amrut fusion is great.  

My favorite Irish pour is from Writer’s Tears in cask strength.  Barry Crockett is also good.  But nothing can beat the best Irish release ever... Proper 12  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Whiskyteer said:

I’m a fan of most of the Ardbegs and Laphroaigs.  I like Lagavulin 16.  From Balvenie,  I enjoy the 21yr Portwood and Tun 1509.  For an after dinner pour, can’t beat Dalmore’s Cigar Malt or their 18yr.  The Glendronach Parliament is my favorite  highland followed by Glenmorangie.

For blends, no one does it better than John Glaser at Compass Box.  Best blender on the planet, hands down.  

For globals,  Yamazaki Sherry or Mizunara are stellar.  For a more an affordable global, Amrut fusion is great.  

My favorite Irish pour is from Writer’s Tears in cask strength.  Barry Crockett is also good.  But nothing can beat the best Irish release ever... Proper 12  

Interesting to read about Amrut Fusion. I admit that I haven't given the Indians a shot. For Irish I keep Redbreast 15 on hand at the high end and Powers at the low, but Connor McGregor thanks you for the plug.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a mere plebe to the scotch game (as my budget dictates), but I think scotch is my spirit of choice.

Currently I’m drinking Glenmorangie 10. Any suggestions on scotch that is around this price point? I want to learn more and be knowledgeable when it comes to scotch. 

Also I’m a big fan of Irish whisky and have been mostly exposed to the dew, Jameson, and bushmills. Any suggestions on that front as well?

Edited by Blanton

• 3 weeks later...
I’m a mere plebe to the scotch game (as my budget dictates), but I think scotch is my spirit of choice.
Currently I’m drinking Glenmorangie 10. Any suggestions on scotch that is around this price point? I want to learn more and be knowledgeable when it comes to scotch. 
Also I’m a big fan of Irish whisky and have been mostly exposed to the dew, Jameson, and bushmills. Any suggestions on that front as well?

Username does not check out.

On 11/20/2018 at 3:29 PM, Enchubben said:

Finally was able to find a US seller that would ship into Texas that had Yamazaki 12 single malt.  Very hard to find and I think might be gone from Texas from what I've heard which explains the price $$.

Very very good if you can find it overseas or out of state.

What is Yamazaki 12 going for these days?

On 11/20/2018 at 3:29 PM, Enchubben said:

Finally was able to find a US seller that would ship into Texas that had Yamazaki 12 single malt.  Very hard to find and I think might be gone from Texas from what I've heard which explains the price $$.

Very very good if you can find it overseas or out of state.

Not just Texas. Gone from the US. No more age statements. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2018 at 6:49 PM, Blanton said:

Redbreast, Green Spot and Yellow Spot are all tasty.  Knappogue (sp?) Castle is a good one at a lower price point.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

At this point, I've largely transitioned from scotch to bourbon, which has the taste profiles that appeal most to me.  But when it's cold and rainy, I harken back to scotch.  Years ago I was a fan of the peatbombs.  Lately, though, most of my bottles have been gifts and have tended to be lighter stuff like Glenmorangie 10, Macallan 12, etc.

But on Saturday, with another storm front ready to hit CA, I grabbed a bottle of Talisker 10 on a whim, and I've got to say that it does a nice job of hitting a middle ground between the floral, grassy stuff and the Laphroigs of my youth.  The Talisker definitely has some smoke, but it's not overwhelming at all.  Now I'm intrigued about trying the 18 YO and the Skye.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:03 AM, Telegraph_it said:

While traveling in Zurich the hotel I picked just so happened to have quite the whiskey bar. 

09-ECFE8-E-3-BB4-44-E5-BCCD-61-DFC04-CB7

The scotch I chose was distilled the year I was born. Thoroughly enjoyable. The bar was called The Devil's Place and the main location is in St. Moritz. 

IMG-0771.jpg

IMG-0769.jpg

Goodness. How was that 24 year? 

3 hours ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

Even their quarter cask (not quite as peaty), is great. Same price point as their regular 10 year. I’ll be cracking open the Cask Strength today. 

Great point. Tried the select last week and It was a bourbon wannabe. Bought my first bottle of Lagavulin this week, and good lord, that is some damn good stuff.

Laphroaig will be my go to while Lagavulin will be a good occasion scotch.

6 minutes ago, Blanton said:

Great point. Tried the select last week and It was a bourbon wannabe. Bought my first bottle of Lagavulin this week, and good lord, that is some damn good stuff.

Laphroaig will be my go to while Lagavulin will be a good occasion scotch.

Very pleased to hear you have recently bought Lagavulin, because I have too. I’m still trying to decide where it ranks. It’s in my top 3 thus far for sure. 

As I’m typing this I’m exploring the insanity that this Laphroaig 10 year Cask strength is. I haven’t had anything this complex yet, and has taken my number on spot for sure. I’ll be purchasing an Ardbeg Uigeadail next. 

Ardberg isn’t my thing. Just didn’t like its taste relative to Laphroaig and Lagavulin.

Now once we introduce varieties I’m not quite as knowledgeable. 

But I’m not liking the trend of scotch distillers paying homage of mimicking bourbon makers. I’m a big a big Glendfiddich fan but their 14 year in the blue packaging just was...bizarre?

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

How is the dalmore in terms of flavor profiles? I’ve been digging the two ardbegs mentioned up thread a lot lately but really enjoy most solid scotches. The glenmorangie la Santa is another one that goes down easy. I would consider Mac12 another dependable standby. 

Dalmore 12 is a great whisky, and I actually like it better than the 15 and 18 (and the King Alexander and Cigar Malt are just different altogether).  Not smokey but it is rich and flavorful.  A little sweetness and maltiness but not too much. Very balanced 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

How’s the Japanese stuff?

I asked a buddy who is knowledgeable on Japanese whisky, but I’m an islay guy and he doesn’t dig smoke and peat. Always wanted to try a few bottles, but end up chickening out for old reliables at the liquor store.

I got the Kurayoshi from a friend just last weekend and cracked it open after I took the picture. Based on what I’ve had, I’d probably describe it as a richer Glenlivet. If you’re looking for something smoky or peaty; look elsewhere. It’s not sweet like most Speysides, but finishes with just a tiny bit of sweetness. It’s peppery, medium bodied, with a medium finish.

Looking online, this is a $110 bottle, but personally, I wouldn’t spend more than $50 on it. If I wanted Glenlivet, I’d just get Glenlivet for $25.

The Talisker and Dalmore are two of my favorites  First is medium body with smoke but not peaty. I’d describe Dalmore 12 as a much better Mac12. Much smoother with a better finish 

I haven’t cracked open the Kavalan though. My dad brought it over from Taiwan and gave it to my BIL (I traded him a few bottles of Jack Daniels for it). The Solist is supposed to have won several gold medals at a whisky competition. I’ll let you know about it after next weekend  

7 minutes ago, Superhero said:

I got the Kurayoshi from a friend just last weekend and cracked it open after I took the picture. Based on what I’ve had, I’d probably describe it as a richer Glenlivet. If you’re looking for something smoky or peaty; look elsewhere. It’s not sweet like most Speysides, but finishes with just a tiny bit of sweetness. It’s peppery, medium bodied, with a medium finish.

Looking online, this is a $110 bottle, but personally, I wouldn’t spend more than $50 on it. If I wanted Glenlivet, I’d just get Glenlivet for $25.

The Talisker and Dalmore are two of my favorites  First is medium body with smoke but not peaty. I’d describe Dalmore 12 as a much better Mac12. Much smoother with a better finish 

I haven’t cracked open the Kavalan though. My dad brought it over from Taiwan and gave it to my BIL (I traded him a few bottles of Jack Daniels for it). The Solist is supposed to have won several gold medals at a whisky competition. I’ll let you know about it after next weekend  

Kavalan is tasty.  It isn’t the most complex whisky, but it is super smooth and executed incredibly well

9 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’ve been a scotch drinker all my life. Dewars is my goto volume drink but I like single malts as well.  However, I do not enjoy Islay scotches at all. Edit: I hate it. What am I missing? Is there a training wheels label if I want to give it another try?

What have you tried recently/what didn’t you like? And what about it didn’t you like?

If you like the smoke but don’t like the peat try Highland Park as your daily drinker for a while, it has smoke notes for sure as a blend. Used to keep White Horse, but haven’t had it in forever and don’t really recall where it landed in the peat vs smoke index.

Caol Illa and Ardberg are the “lightest” islay single malts, IMO.

53 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t remember what I’ve tried. Tastes like turpentine to me. Give me something that tones it down to merely resin   

Try Bunnahabhain 12.  Hint of smoke (not a lawnmower bag) but it almost tastes more like a Highland whisky. I used to hate Islays too and then I just started trying them and found my palette - now I can’t get enough of the right kind.

• Like 1