Austin Water Issues Boil Water Notice

3adays

http://austintexas.gov/news/austin-water-issues-city-wide-boil-water-notice

Austin)— Austin Water has issued a city-wide boil water notice for all customers of Austin Water. The notice is being issued as the utility works to stabilize the water treatment system. 

Historic flood waters flowing into our water supply lakes contain very high levels of silt that makes it challenging for the water plants to produce the volume of water needed to supply customers at this time. The high level of debris, silt and mud requires extended filtration that slows the process of getting treated water in to the system. To provide necessary water pressure for fire protection, plants must distribute water at treatment levels not typical of the utility’s high standards for consumption.

To ensure that water is safe, customers are asked to boil water used for drinking, cooking or ice until further notice. It’s important to note that there have been no positive tests for bacterial infiltration of the system at this time. 

“Anyone who’s seen the water running through Ladybird Lake can see how muddy it is. The unprecedented rain and runoff through our entire lake system has simply overwhelmed our treatment capacity,” said Austin Mayor Steve Adler. “The good thing is that we can continue with most of our daily routines – like showering, hand washing and laundry – but we all need to do our part to conserve where we can, and boil the tap water we consume. We’re working with our partners in the school systems, health care, food service and neighboring cities to make sure we’re all working together.”

What can customers do?

• Reduce water use as much as possible to ensure adequate supply is available for basic needs, fire protection, public health and safety.
  • Boil water intended for consumption. To ensure destruction of all harmful bacteria and other microbes, water for drinking, cooking and for making ice should be boiled and cooled prior to consumption. The water should be brought to a vigorous, rolling boil for three minutes. In lieu of boiling water, you may use bottled water.
  • Businesses should not use drinking fountains or soda fountains that rely on tap water.

The boil water notice will be lifted once Austin Water can stabilize the treatment systems. Austin Water will notify residents when the water is safe for consumption and it is no longer necessary to boil the water.

City of Austin and Austin Water are working in coordination with public health and safety partners in the region to keep the public informed.

For more information, boil water notice updates (updates will be posted daily by 4 p.m.) and frequently asked questions about boil water notices visit http://www.austintexas.gov/boilH2O

For questions or concerns, please contact 3-1-1.

MAP OF AUSTIN WATER’S SERVICE AREA

boil_water_service_area_map.png

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:
1 hour ago, bolverk said:
I'm on my fourth cup and just saw this. Am I going to die?

You make no boil instant cold brew?

Well, no, but I'm not sure my crappy Mr. Coffee actually hits the boiling point so I'm updating my will now.

6 minutes ago, APMP said:

The properly boiled water is just as safe as commercial bottled. The run on bottled water seems irrational, which, yeah of course it is.

I need to go to the store too, need some gallon jugs to store my boiled water.

Yep. I was somehow able to boil water without leaving the house:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is nobody at our neighborhood park at 9:15 in the morning. I’m blaming the water notice because the water fountain is wrapped up with the sign from the City of Austin saying out of order.  Who am I kidding,  the people in this neighborhood would never let the kids drink from a public water fountain.  

3 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

I’m trying to figure out where my rankings are for Austin freakouts:

1) Winter is coming!

2) need to boil water

3) weekend parking meters

4) Amy Winehouse dead

5) Blind salamanders

You forgot the cobra and gas shortage

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

I’m trying to figure out where my rankings are for Austin freakouts:

1) Winter is coming!

2) need to boil water

3) weekend parking meters

4) Amy Winehouse dead

5) Blind salamanders

You’re missing that lovely little gas shortage we created out of thin air.