Austin Water Issues Boil Water Notice

3adays

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We keep a pot on the stove, and serve ourselves drinking water with a ladle.  It's very trail-ride chuckwagon-ish.  It will soon be all the rage among hipsters everywhere: "EVERYONE in AUSTIN is drinking water this way now...you need to get with the times!"

For authenticity sake, set up some velvet ropes and make your family wait in a line before getting their ladle full. And then charge them $7.50 per cup.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

We keep a pot on the stove, and serve ourselves drinking water with a ladle.  It's very trail-ride chuckwagon-ish.  It will soon be all the rage among hipsters everywhere: "EVERYONE in AUSTIN is drinking water this way now...you need to get with the times!"

Dude, we are boiling ours by dropping hot rocks from the fire into a suspended pig bladder.   So native. And

you drink from the peehole!

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

If this chart is to be believed, we should be off this conservation bullshit in a couple of days..... This is absurd.

Thank god.
My vehicle hasn’t been washed since beginning of September and we have finally have a stretch that’s longer than 3 days of no rain.
Won’t someone think of my truck!

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The dream of the 1890's is alive in Austin.

• Like 1

I got a big filtering dispenser for the fridge that I put boiled water in once the water cooled. Thought process was that boiling won't remove silt particles that made it through. But if water turbidity is only going to improve from here on out I probably wasted $25.

Some dumbass on my Nextdoor feed was talking about all the trouble she went through to boil multiple pots of water just to rinse her dishes after washing them in her dishwasher... when all you need is to use the dishwasher heat cycle. 

You call someone a dumbass... yet you too are on next door

(Boiling) pot calling kettle black?

Shttps://www.statesman.com/news/20181026/city-councils-troxclair-begins-push-for-reasons-behind-water-crisis

As Austin residents wait for water from their taps to become drinkable, three City Council members tried and failed Friday to begin a push for information about what exactly happened to lead to a mandatory boil water notice and how a repeat can be avoided in the future.

Council Member Ellen Troxclair posted a draft resolution on the council’s message board Thursday afternoon that asked city staffers to provide a briefing about the crisis to elected officials and the public within a month of whenever the boil order is lifted. Council Members Alison Alter and Leslie Pool quickly said they would co-sponsor the resolution.

However, the resolution failed to gain the fourth co-sponsor needed to add it to the agenda for next week’s council meeting.

Troxclair said she had questions about whether the problem could have been foreseen or if communications about it could have been better. She noted that city officials opted not to use a reverse-911 system to alert residents and pointed out that some restaurants reported being unaware the boil water order was in place until after they already had served water to customers.

“I’m sure there were reasons for those decisions, and hindsight is 20/20, but unless we take a minute and think about how we can improve, then we won’t be able to learn things,” Troxclair said. “It is completely appropriate for the City Council to be asking for that transparency and accountability.”

Council Members Ann Kitchen and Sabino “Pio” Renteria said in message board posts that they would prefer to wait a few weeks to ask city staffers to begin the process of looking back, noting that they may still be working on fallout from the crisis itself. The responses disappointed Troxclair, who said she thought a month was ample time to compile a briefing.

The only data they’ve released. This shows midnight at Saturday before they put out the notices Monday morning.  

They were clearly having big problems, and Troxlciar said they knew there were issues 4-5 days before the notice.  Would love to see what she saw those 4-5 days before   

Gray = historical

red = what we were using

blue = what they were producing 

DqX5cxAWoAImnKx?format=png

Since a couple of people have asked about this...

Do I need to flush the pipes in my home?

No, it is not necessary or required to flush the pipes in your home. Water has continued to circulate in the distribution system during the Boil Water Notice. Water used for laundry, showering, or boiling for consumption has created enough flushing effect for most homes. There should be no need to flush water from hot water heaters, irrigation systems, showers, clothes washing machines or outdoor faucets.

If you choose to flush water from your pipes, please limit the amount of water you use. We recommend following Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines that suggest flushing for two minutes.