2018 Texas down ballot choices

bernorange

So there are some incumbents that seem like they suck and I don't know much about the alternative candidates on the ballot (yet).  I'm just starting to research this stuff, so help me out Surly ones.

1. AG - Paxton appears to be a felon and not really doing a great job.  What's the scoop on Nelson and Harris?

2. Land Office - Bush?  I don't think so.  What's the scoop on Suazo and Pina?

3. Agriculture - Miller?  Hell no.  What's the scoop on Olson and Carpenter?

4. RRC - I remember Craddick being widely panned when she ran last time, but I have no idea how she's actually done on the commission since she was elected.  Did she do a good job?  Are her opponents better suited to the job?

5. As always, would love any guidance Surly legal mafia might offer with respect to judicial races.  I see that Sharon Keller is running for Judge, Court of Criminal Appeals.  I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread reminding people how terrible she is.  Is Jackson or Strange better qualified?

I didn't ask anyone to "make my decisions".  I asked for insight on candidates as I've done on TOS for over a decade on downballot races.  It starts a conversation and usually leads to information that isn't easily found with internet searches.

~~~

Since I posted the OP, I've been searching and reading.  For the offices listed in the OP, I like Nelson (D), Suazo (D), Olson (D), Wright (L) and Jackson (D) respectively.

Until everyone from DOTUS to dog catcher loses, the GOP isn't going to change it's act.

But Paxton has been indicted and the Rs up in Collin County are slow rolling his case because they know he's a crook and want Abbott to replace him, rather than the voters. 

2 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I didn't ask anyone to "make my decisions".  I asked for insight on candidates as I've done on TOS for over a decade on downballot races.  It starts a conversation and usually leads to information that isn't easily found with internet searches.

~~~

Since I posted the OP, I've been searching and reading.  For the offices listed in the OP, I like Nelson (D), Suazo (D), Olson (D), Wright (L) and Jackson (D) respectively.

How insightful! 

How many Libertarians hold an elected position in Texas currently?  Is it right that it's only four?  

Texas Yvonne Schick Dripping Springs Community Library Board of Trustees        
Texas Larry Bush Jarrell City Council        
Texas Ed Tidwell Lago Vista Mayor        
Texas Lauren LaCount Richwood City Mayor Pro-Tem      

I'm voting for Frank Ward for District 8 City Council.  Mostly because he's running against three "Environmental Marketing Consultant".  I'm a longtime advocate of the Sierra Club and time/financial supporter and I have no fucking idea what that title means.  Yet three people in one race, have it.  

Oh, and as to the open seat, I'm voting for Judge Triana.  She's been a district court judge for a number of years, and I've practiced before her.  She's smart and fair.  She's probably my favorite district court judge.

Her opponent, Mike Toth, is a fundigelical loon from the AG's office.

Frankly, though--it probably doesn't matter.  The straight-ticket vote is going to swamp my considered opinions.  And for the Third Court, that's going to favor the Ds.  The vote from Travis County is going to more than cancel out the rural counties.  And so if WilCo is even close--and I think it's going to be kind of close--then the Ds are going to run away with all four of those seats.

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Oh, and as to the open seat, I'm voting for Judge Triana.  She's been a district court judge for a number of years, and I've practiced before her.  She's smart and fair.  She's probably my favorite district court judge.

Her opponent, Mike Toth, is a fundigelical loon from the AG's office.

Frankly, though--it probably doesn't matter.  The straight-ticket vote is going to swamp my considered opinions.  And for the Third Court, that's going to favor the Ds.  The vote from Travis County is going to more than cancel out the rural counties.  And so if WilCo is even close--and I think it's going to be kind of close--then the Ds are going to run away with all four of those seats.

I’ve been saying the third court of appeals is going dem this year for over a year now. Even my liberal trial lawyer friends don’t believe me, but I believe it to be true. It’s not a good midterm election to be a republican given what I think Travis is gonna do. The rural counties are not gonna make up for it this time. It’s always been pretty close anyway. 

14 hours ago, relapse98 said:

See, that's the type of info we can use because I think the judge races are where we all go potato.

Yeah.  Judge races need to be handled better, I think.  I'd almost prefer voters leave it blank unless they've done a little homework first.

In 2016, we had 6 candidates for 5 spots, and you had to select 5 of them.  I knew that 6th person listed on the ballot was screwed, and sure enough, they were the one who lost.

Just now, bolverk said:

Yeah, I don't get why people straight ticket. Personally, I take great pleasure in savoring each of my individual votes against the Republicans.

I basically ended up doing straight ticket, after hitting the Dem button except on a judge where the only other thing was the Libertarian, he might be the first L I've ever voted for.

And of course Guadalupe county.. all the republican county officials ran unopposed, some day I need to work to fixing that.

3 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Who's a good choice for Austin Mayor?

I wrote about this on another thread.  But Steve Adler is perhaps the blandest politician I've ever seen.  When one goes to thesaurus.com and looks for the antonym of "dynamic," it's Steve Adler.  So he doesn't lead.  He's just along for the ride with a council that will pretty much always vote against what he (probably) wants to do.  But fundamentally, he does not harm.

Laura Morrison is a dynamic personality.  She will boldly lead Austin into a series of disastrous policies.  She's the type of person who will draw her sword, yell "charge," and lead her army right off a cliff.

• Like 1

I have never understood straight ticket voting     In Texas you have so many non-partisan races      We only have to go to the polls once every two years     And you do all that research and put up all those Beto signs and wait all that time in line     And you can’t be troubled for two extra goddamn minutes  to post out your ballot the way it should be based on rational thought and policy analysis 

I will admit my ballot will probably be 40% libertarian 20% Republican 20% Democrat and 20% non-partisan 

What’s so fucking hard about that you gotta bitch about the fact that you’re straight ticket option is going away two years from now?

It’s a representative democracy, represent your fucking brains  and spend 120 extra seconds at the ballot booth 

I wrote about this on another thread.  But Steve Adler is perhaps the blandest politician I've ever seen.  When one goes to thesaurus.com and looks for the antonym of "dynamic," it's Steve Adler.  So he doesn't lead.  He's just along for the ride with a council that will pretty much always vote against what he (probably) wants to do.  But fundamentally, he does not harm.
Laura Morrison is a dynamic personality.  She will boldly lead Austin into a series of disastrous policies.  She's the type of person who will draw her sword, yell "charge," and lead her army right off a cliff.
All of this. Steve is a good attorney and a terrible politician. He should never have become mayor. But Laura Morrison is going to fuck some shit up if she is elected. She and Tovo are the worst.

Normally I would be in on the "straight ticket is dumb and lazy" bandwagon. With what has become of the GOP, straight ticket is still dumb, but only because going straight D and leaving it at that doesn't vote against every single R on the ballot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

North Austin:  Consider voting for Justice of the Peace Precinct 2 Republican Chris Soileau.

Good guy.  Very smart.  Was talked into getting on the ballot by some higher ups.  May or may not be CIA/assassin/Jason Bourne, I can never tell.  

It's one opportunity to go across the aisle if you wanna.

Why do we even have party affiliation listed on ballots for positions like judges? They should just be listed by name and sorted randomly on electronic voting machines. For that matter, we should do the same for almost all candidates. If you don't know anything about them you have no business voting for that race. 

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Why do we even have party affiliation listed on ballots for positions like judges? They should just be listed by name and sorted randomly on electronic voting machines. For that matter, we should do the same for almost all candidates. If you don't know anything about them you have no business voting for that race. 

I 100% agree.  It is why I hate the straight party vote.  I think it is fucking lazy.  Do your homework.  

22 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am reading up on the TX-2 election.  That is my district, and I have no idea on the candidates.  I am trying to research before I go early vote.  Anyone have strong feelings?

One dude has an eye patch.

12 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I had remembered not liking what I read about him in the Primaries, but I honestly do not remember much.  I find the websites and women's voters questions hard to discern what the candidate is truly about.  Was there a debate at all?

Tbh all my Crenshaw-Litton thoughts are from pre-September.  I moved into TX-7 and stopped paying total attention.