What's the Foo up to?

Biff Tannen

Ooh, that Dave has such a potty mouth :). The concert was fantastic last night in The Woodlands. Sounds like the same set and same patter as in Austin. I saw both Bonham and Moon live and Taylor is a worthy successor. He was on fire last night. They played for 2.75 hours virtually non-stop although the band intros gave everyone a rest. Lots of Concrete and Gold, lots of hits and a nice mash up of Imagine and Under Pressure. A very enjoyable concert.

3 hours ago, midtown said:

Just came to post that.  Can't be real.  He had to be planted right? "this guy"

dave's reactions were pretty genuine if you watch the video.  the guy apparently had a sign(not sure what it said), and wore the kiss makeup and motorhead shirt to stand out for Dave.  I'm sure he wasn't a plant.  Dave just didn't know he was getting an actual semi-professional guitarist.  the guy was damn good.

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

dave's reactions were pretty genuine if you watch the video.  the guy apparently had a sign(not sure what it said), and wore the kiss makeup and motorhead shirt to stand out for Dave.  I'm sure he wasn't a plant.  Dave just didn't know he was getting an actual semi-professional guitarist.  the guy was damn good.

Lulz.  Do you also believe in Santa Claus and the Easter bunny?  

I've been going to concerts for 35+ years and have seen many many many fans pulled out of the audience to play, and miraculously, they have a 100% success rate!

Here's a dude getting pulled from the crowd in January to play Monkey Wrench.  

I'm not saying Dave knew the guy (or how good he was), but someone on the Foo team arranged this ahead of time, checked out the guy, and Dave was told to look for the guy in the Kiss makeup in the pit.  

Also, Santa Claus isn't real.

Neither is the Easter bunny.

9 hours ago, midtown said:

Just came to post that.  Can't be real.  He had to be planted right? "this guy"

I wonder that, too.  There have been a few concerts on this tour where he's pulled someone out the audience and they've always just happened to nail the song. 

Let's not go overboard.  Some of those guitarists have been pretty weak compared to KISS guy.

I know for a fact that he's local.  Beyond that, he could have easily been a known target in the crowd, but it's not like he's part of the crew on tour with the band.

Like Beau said, pretty sure either the tour staff or local contacts say “hey, this guy is pretty good” so they set it up for that show. Either tell Dave who to look for or give him a specific phrase for his sign, Dave looks when Monkeywrench starts and calls the person up on stage. So, staged, but Dave’s reactions are genuine as the first time he’s seen him play. Their show is too polished to pull any rando on stage and hand the guitar over.

On 4/20/2018 at 9:28 AM, threesheets said:

Tomorrow is #6 for me.  The Tulsa show osujeff mentioned was my favorite ever because of the old stuff, but I'd be fine with the setlist from last night.

Yeah they played a TON of old stuff at that show... IIRC the even played "For all the Cows."  

Caught em the next night in Jacksonville. Great show. Billy Idol came out and did a John Lennon song I think. Travolta came out on stage at another point. Didn’t sing. 

Queens of the Stone Age were at the same show so I was hoping for some crossover but no such luck. 

No special guests in Atlanta but did not need them. Set list below...

1. Run

Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
  9. (Dave solo into full band)
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
  13. (Alice Cooper cover) (Chris Shiflett on lead vocals)
    Play Video
  14. (John Travolta & Olivia more )
    Play Video
  15. (Van Halen cover) (to the tune of John Lennon's "Imagine")
    Play Video
  16. (Ramones cover)
    Play Video
  17. (Queen cover) (with Luke Spiller) (Dave Grohl on drums, Taylor more )
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
  21. (with audience member Pierce Edge on drums)
    Play Video
    Play Video
  24. Encore:
  25. (Dave solo into full band)
    Play Video
  26. (Mose Allison cover)
    Play Video

• 3 months later...

FWIW, my Dad was,  prior to retirement, a truck driver that owned a small trucking company.  One of his friends, who went by "Polack",  got laid off from his union job, and started driving a charter bus. He drove Huey and band when they were red hot and said that they were the nicest bunch of guys he'd ever met. 

18 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

FWIW, my Dad was,  prior to retirement, a truck driver that owned a small trucking company.  One of his friends, who went by "Polack",  got laid off from his union job, and started driving a charter bus. He drove Huey and band when they were red hot and said that they were the nicest bunch of guys he'd ever met. 

That's good, because his music sucks.  

• 4 weeks later...

LEXINGTON, Ky. — What should have been a moment of nirvana has turned into a headache for some University of Kentucky athletes.

Several UK soccer players will have to sit out two supervised team activities, such as a practice or meetings, after joining in a pickup soccer game with the Foo Fighters and UK coaches before a May 1 concert at Rupp Arena, the NCAA ruled.

The pickup game took place the week before final exams, when the NCAA prohibits coaches from being involved with players in an event like a pickup game.

The UK players were originally playing in their own pickup game at the other end of the field until a member of the Foo Fighters invited them to play “as they were getting tired and wanted the energy level to be raised.”

Three current UK men’s soccer players, one former men’s soccer player and one current women’s soccer player participated in the pickup game after being invited to join.

Kentucky self-reported the violation, according to a Courier Journal open-records request.

On 4/30/2018 at 6:37 PM, bamachine said:

No special guests in Atlanta but did not need them. Set list below...

1. Run

Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
  9. (Dave solo into full band)
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
  13. (Alice Cooper cover) (Chris Shiflett on lead vocals)
    Play Video
  14. (John Travolta & Olivia more )
    Play Video
  15. (Van Halen cover) (to the tune of John Lennon's "Imagine")
    Play Video
  16. (Ramones cover)
    Play Video
  17. (Queen cover) (with Luke Spiller) (Dave Grohl on drums, Taylor more )
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
  21. (with audience member Pierce Edge on drums)
    Play Video
    Play Video
  24. Encore:
  25. (Dave solo into full band)
    Play Video
  26. (Mose Allison cover)
    Play Video

Video must be a helluva song, think they’d be tired of playing it every other song.