What's the Foo up to?

Biff Tannen

Last i checked there were plenty of tickets left for the Shreveport show April 22nd on TicketMaster and of course a little more expesive tickets on StubHub. I realize that's quite the drive for y'all but if you REALLY wanted to see them...

• 2 weeks later...

That was a great show, aside from Dave constantly calling us in the audience a bunch of MFers.

(I'm just kidding Dave, I can't quit you, I'll be your MFer if you insist)

My favorite FF song of all time is Everlong, and then of course it was the final song / encore (non-encore because Dave said)

First, The Struts were fucking great.  If you're going tonight/Saturday, get there early -- you don't want to miss these guys.

Foos started at 8:20.  I guess they were supposed to stop at 11:00, because at about 10:30, Dave said, "Hey, we're running out of time, so we're just going to blow on through to the encore without taking a break."

Kiss Guy was the most staged pull-a-guy-from-the-audience-and-let-him-play stunt I've ever seen.

Yeah, I have to think the Kiss guy was staged.  Especially considering they did the same thing on the same song at another show (and presumably others).  I mean, it's not the hardest song in the world to play, but the odds that every person you "randomly" pull out of the audience knows it perfectly?  Not that I really care.  It's good theater.

Yes, Imagine/Jump was ridiculous and awesome.  Also, Taylor is a beast.  He never stops.  He's gonna have a heart attack up there.  

Overall, just fucking amazing.  There are certain people that are put on this earth to do one thing and one thing only and Dave's purpose is to be a motherfucking rock star.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

There are certain people that are put on this earth to do one thing and one thing only and Dave's purpose is to be a motherfucking rock star.

THIS is what separates Foo Fighters from all other bands, imo. Add the power-vibe that he and Taylor exude and you've got a winner.

Great show.  setlist FM shows that St Cecilia was on the setlist before dirty water but not played.  I would have replace generator with that. Austin crowd would have loved it and generator is meh.  fuckin' curfews, especially for a Foo Fighters show.

Shiflett has a new album coming out this year, just a year after "West Coast Town", which was one of my favorites last year.  Pretty stoked.

Every once and awhile I see people who act like they hate Grohl/FF.  Those people are trying too hard to be edgy.  Even if you're not that into their music, I can't imagine how any music fan wouldn't appreciate their enthusiasm, vigor, and general likability.  The whole band is cool as shit, and they're always championing the cause of lesser known artists, and doing as much as they can to bring great music to as many people as possible.

i'm generally a fan, but i find it very easy to see how if you don't like their music you would find their personalities obnoxious. like, hey these guys suck but they act like they're putting on the best rock show in the world, fuck them. definitely seen bands that come across that way. again, i don't feel that way but i can very easily see how someone could. 

My first Foo show.  Enjoyed it a lot.  

Good-  high energy, fun show, Kiss guy was hilarious (staged or not) and the covers (Bowie, Ramones snippet) were entertaining as well.  

Hawkins is a monster.

Nitpicks:  Shiflett is underutilized.  Couple of extended instrumentals where Grohl noodled way too long.  I mean, a 7-minute extended jam, with Grohl fucking around for half of that?  You've got a guy with exponentially more guitar skills standing a few feet away.   For that matter, Rami Jaffee also underused.  

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Great show.  setlist FM shows that St Cecilia was on the setlist before dirty water but not played.  I would have replace generator with that. Austin crowd would have loved it and generator is meh.  fuckin' curfews, especially for a Foo Fighters show.

WAT.  I loved Generator.  Apparently is one of the Foos favorites to play live also.  You get right outta town with that nonsense.  Good day sir!

42 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

WAT.  I loved Generator.  Apparently is one of the Foos favorites to play live also.  You get right outta town with that nonsense.  Good day sir!

Agreed. Generator is badass.

At the Foo's first BOK Center show in Tulsa (which was the first show of the Wasting Light tour, I believe) they played like 5 songs from There is Nothing Left to Lose (which happens to be my favorite Foo record).... Generator, Stacked Actors (which was fucking amazing), Breakout, Learn to Fly and.... hmmm... either Aurora or Ain't it the Life... don't recall which.

1 minute ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Agreed. Generator is badass.

At the Foo's first BOK Center show in Tulsa (which was the first show of the Wasting Light tour, I believe) they played like 5 songs from There is Nothing Left to Lose (which happens to be my favorite Foo record).... Generator, Stacked Actors (which was fucking amazing), Breakout, Learn to Fly and.... hmmm... either Aurora or Ain't it the Life... don't recall which.

Damn, that's awesome.  Love Aurora too.  So many great songs.

50 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Generator is a good song, as are a ton of others that they don't play regularly.  They've played it every time I've seen them, its meh in that sense.  I'm only talking about pulling it and playing St Cecilla, which was written Austin, since they were getting cut short.  In hindsight, they could have cut a bit of the noodling they did a few times or ditch dirty water, but they have the backup singers specifically there for that song.

Dave is getting older and its damn impressive what he does.  I think the noodling allows him to recover during the set.

I've only seen them outdoors except for the ACL Moody theater show, which I'm not sure they could ever top even with an Arena show where they don't have sound curfew.

These guys are keeping the flame alive that you can still give the people what they want, have a great time doing it, and not be assholes.

Edited by dcar00