Great songs by Austin artists

jimmyjazz

Think they wrote and recorded it in Austin.

I could pick about 10 Schneider songs and another 10 Patty Griffin songs.. but I'll go with Changing Your Mind from Bob, since she sings harmony on it.  Their voices together on that track are incredible and Bob's last verse is so great.

• Like 2

dcbc, that's a great tune by Wrenfro.  When I closed down my little studio I sold Tony my old Yamaha upright piano.  He had taught himself to play on it -- I used to wander out there and catch him playing Bach & Mozart etudes.  He learned very quickly.  (No surprise.)

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2018 at 2:30 PM, CooterBrown said:

A great forgotten Austin band. If you can find their album Old Man Lung, pick it up. It's fantastic beginning to end.

Neon Indian is not Austin. 

And wow... none of this?

I mean they're the biggest band from Austin, right? 

And Gary is from Austin:

Oh also these guys:

Edited by ztejas

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm a huge Spoon fan, and that's probably my favorite track of theirs.  It always felt like it had a bit of a Stones vibe, in Spoon's own angular, ultracool way.

Yeah I think it's the best song they've ever made. That entire album was great. Pretty rare for a band to knock it out of the park like that so far into their career. 

This shit is pretty great too:

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ah, the rare Spoon cover.

I'm very partial to this track, partially because I was . . . involved:

I really haven't dug into much of their earlier stuff but now I'm surfing YT remembering how many fucking good songs they have. And that's not even including the radio-friendly shit that I don't like as much like "The Underdog".

This came across my Spotify radio yesterday and I was on board immediately

• 5 months later...
27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think that was the only Fastball "hit" that Miles wrote.  Everything else was Tony's.  I can't say specifically how much friction that caused, but it was more than "none".

It got filed away in some dusty corner of my brain during the transition from my early 20's to now early 40's... really good song.

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think that was the only Fastball "hit" that Miles wrote.  Everything else was Tony's.  I can't say specifically how much friction that caused, but it was more than "none".

If I were in a band with another songwriter, and we wrote independently, I would hope that every single song that fucking guy wrote would go straight to number 1.  

But, that's just me. 

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

If I were in a band with another songwriter, and we wrote independently, I would hope that every single song that fucking guy wrote would go straight to number 1.  

But, that's just me. 

Oh, I agree.  In the end, it's pretty hard to deny the quality of Tony's songs, and I know they're both cool with each other now.

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Might as well knock it out of the park with the first song on your first album released last week. The album is fanfuckingtastic.

Came here to post about them.  I've been playing that record constantly since last Friday.  There are a few live performances of "Fire" out there that are awesome.