Low Cost Estate Planning

hornian

I had a thread about this on TOS, so instead of bumping that with scat, I'll just post here. We are coming up on November - which is when my law firm sets aside time for our end-of-year estate planning push. Our trial practice slows down in November and December, and this allows us focus on things like drafting wills, powers of attorney, guardianships, etc.

For the last 6 years, my firm has been participating with Texas Legal, which is a  nonprofit legal benefit plan that was founded by the State Bar of Texas and the Texas State Legislature in 1972. The plans are fairly inexpensive ($26/mo for an individual and $40/mo for a family), and they have a wide range of services. One of the best benefits is the estate planning benefit - it covers 100% of the cost of drafting an estate plan, from Wills and trusts, to medical directives and powers of attorney, guardianships for your children or yourself, and other documents that are needed in case you aren't around or can't make decisions for yourself. 

Normally an estate planning package runs about $1,500 and up for an individual, or $2,000 and up for a married couple. But, as I said, if you have Texas Legal, 100% of the cost is covered. There is no contract, so you can cancel at anytime. While they can't require you remain a member after you get the estate planning done (and there is a $400 fee to rejoin if you cancel in less than one year), most people I've talked to have remained subscribers. I'm actually a subscriber myself, because there are things that are covered that I don't have any interest in representing myself in (like traffic tickets for example), and I've kept my membership active and will continue to do so. 

Texas Legal also covers family law matters, but there is a 6-month waiting period for that. So if you think you'll need something like that in the future, that's another thing to keep in mind and another thing I could help you with at a reduced cost. I don't have any stake in Texas Legal, other than if you are a subscriber and you hire my firm to do work for you they will pay me for my work - but I do think it's a great program that is not well known. 

If you'd like to join in time for us to draft your documents in November, you must apply by October 25th. The website is https://texaslegal.org 

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions. 

• 11 months later...
On 10/22/2018 at 9:03 PM, hornian said:

I had a thread about this on TOS, so instead of bumping that with scat, I'll just post here. We are coming up on November - which is when my law firm sets aside time for our end-of-year estate planning push. Our trial practice slows down in November and December, and this allows us focus on things like drafting wills, powers of attorney, guardianships, etc.

For the last 6 years, my firm has been participating with Texas Legal, which is a  nonprofit legal benefit plan that was founded by the State Bar of Texas and the Texas State Legislature in 1972. The plans are fairly inexpensive ($26/mo for an individual and $40/mo for a family), and they have a wide range of services. One of the best benefits is the estate planning benefit - it covers 100% of the cost of drafting an estate plan, from Wills and trusts, to medical directives and powers of attorney, guardianships for your children or yourself, and other documents that are needed in case you aren't around or can't make decisions for yourself. 

Normally an estate planning package runs about $1,500 and up for an individual, or $2,000 and up for a married couple. But, as I said, if you have Texas Legal, 100% of the cost is covered. There is no contract, so you can cancel at anytime. While they can't require you remain a member after you get the estate planning done (and there is a $400 fee to rejoin if you cancel in less than one year), most people I've talked to have remained subscribers. I'm actually a subscriber myself, because there are things that are covered that I don't have any interest in representing myself in (like traffic tickets for example), and I've kept my membership active and will continue to do so. 

Texas Legal also covers family law matters, but there is a 6-month waiting period for that. So if you think you'll need something like that in the future, that's another thing to keep in mind and another thing I could help you with at a reduced cost. I don't have any stake in Texas Legal, other than if you are a subscriber and you hire my firm to do work for you they will pay me for my work - but I do think it's a great program that is not well known. 

If you'd like to join in time for us to draft your documents in November, you must apply by October 25th. The website is https://texaslegal.org 

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions. 

I signed up for Texas Legal last year based off this post, but have yet to use it. Is your firm doing wills this November too?

Also, I’m in need of a real estate attorney but have no idea which one to pick. I see several on the Texas Legal website and was hoping you had a recommendation for one is Austin. 

6 minutes ago, 3adays said:

I signed up for Texas Legal last year based off this post, but have yet to use it. Is your firm doing wills this November too?

Also, I’m in need of a real estate attorney but have no idea which one to pick. I see several on the Texas Legal website and was hoping you had a recommendation for one is Austin. 

Thanks for the bump. Yes, we are doing that again this November. 

As to the RE attorney, I don’t think the person I usually refer to accepts Texas Legal. But I had to use him personally this year for a RE purchase and his fees were reasonable. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Looking for a very sharp estate planning lawyer in Austin who is affordable. We have a few minor changes to make to our estate planning documents and our lawyer in San Antonio is retired. With Coronavirus, we have gone in and reviewed our wills and other estate planning documents and need to tweak a few things. We have family trusts upon death, and the other basic will information, power of attorney, etc. Appreciate recommendations. We want to use a lawyer very well versed in the latest estate planning laws because in a few years, we might do more involved re-planning.

11 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Looking for a very sharp estate planning lawyer in Austin who is affordable. We have a few minor changes to make to our estate planning documents and our lawyer in San Antonio is retired. With Coronavirus, we have gone in and reviewed our wills and other estate planning documents and need to tweak a few things. We have family trusts upon death, and the other basic will information, power of attorney, etc. Appreciate recommendations. We want to use a lawyer very well versed in the latest estate planning laws because in a few years, we might do more involved re-planning.

I’m not board certified; but I know what I’m doing and keep abreast of the law. 

If you aren’t comfortable using someone who isn’t board certified in estate planning, I have a couple of recs here in Austin. Send me a PM. 

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
On 5/25/2020 at 9:27 AM, Dbeasy said:

https://www.vk-c.com/attorneys/rudy-r-colmenero/

Not cheap, but not burdened with insane expenses of larger firms downtown, his rates are very fair IMHO.  Also a tax attorney/CPA with emphasis on estate and business law.  Have been trusting him, using him, and referring to him for 20+ years.  Did undergrad and law at UT, very loyal Longhorn, and very philanthropically engaged in Texas despite being an attorney.  He's one of maybe 10 attorneys on earth I trust, and one of 2 I've ever used personally.  

• 1 year later...