2019 ATH Peyton Powell

texifornia

1 minute ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Nice!  What does he project out to play? 

http://insidetexas.com/powell-picks-the-longhorns/

How he fits at Texas: Powell falls into the typical deal where he’s the best athlete on the team and so he plays QB so he touches the ball every play. Currently he’s a solid option QB who’s 6-foot-2, 180 or so, that runs a true 4.4 (40-yard dash) with a 37″ vertical. With all that athleticism and that kind of frame he could be a surefire NFL CB if he takes well to defense or he could stay with offense and feast as a ultra-twitchy wideout. The smart play is to snatch him up and figure it out after he gets to campus. – Ian Boyd

26 minutes ago, Fud said:

Kenyatta, Owens, and Powell is quite a bit of freaky athleticism added to the defensive backfield and special teams 

Think about the impact of Caden, Foster and Jones on this defense;  and now to think about the next wave, our secondary will be nasty. 

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

We're letting him get a shot at QB if he wants it. Fine with me. He's a hell of a lot scarier prospect for an opposing defense coming out of high school than Greg Ward was. Let's see what happens.

I have no idea if he'll ever play QB at Texas. But with enough of the right kind of athletes around him, maybe he could. When you have the kind of slot receiver talent we're adding in this class, it's not like a passer has to be able to throw it 45 yards on a dime every time. 

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

I would like to see Powell in the defensive backfield, too. Owens might grow into an OLB, right?

OLB vs. Safety doesn't much matter in Orlando's scheme.  He's content to move guys around wherever they need to be, without worrying about whether they're "called" OLB or Safety.  Just look at BJ Foster right now.  He's playing in the box 40-50% of the time, and blitzing 25% of the time.  We "call" him a safety, but he's been instrumental in stopping the run and blitzing the quarterback.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I would like to see Powell in the defensive backfield, too. Owens might grow into an OLB, right?

I think both are DBs in the end. While Owens is a high upside guy, I think he's better at safety right now that most give credit for