Cheap projector recommendation

luke duke

28 minutes ago, luke duke said:

Can anyone recommend a cheap projector to play kids movies outside?

I do this all the time. Just get a cheap 720p projector. 1080p is overkill unless you won't be paying lot more.

My current rig is a tiny Dell 720p travel model I got on ebay for $50.

Ping me if you want help.

18 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I do this all the time. Just get a cheap 720p projector. 1080p is overkill unless you won't be paying lot more.

My current rig is a tiny Dell 720p travel model I got on ebay for $50.

Ping me if you want help.

@rage-a-holic

I am interested in your internets.  Any insight on something that will project games for backyard viewing?

3 hours ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

cheap screen

CL Projector

Now add either some PC speakers or find a cheap stereo speaker combo / cheap stereo speaker combo 2 and one of these 3.5 mm cable

profit

I wouldn't recommend that projector. It uses a TI DLP DMD chip that fails like aggy in November. When it fails, the picture will suddenly be full of white dots and you either toss the projector or spend $100-200 replacing the chip.

look for projectors on craigslist/nextdoor. Post them here if you need advice.

Look for the model #, then google it. One of the first results will be for projector central. Check the specs there.

What are your requirements? Do you need HDMI inputs? If you have something that outputs VGA/Component, you can save same money. Projectors with HDMI inputs are newer and will cost more. But many older 720p models with VGA inputs will have the same or better specs as a new HDMI model and cost less. Also check replacement lamp/bulb prices. Epsons are usually the cheapest.

Here is what I have used for around 4 years now: an LG PB63U. Won’t help you for price reference as it doesn’t appear to be sold via this model now but I think it was a few hundred dollars back then...definitely over $200 but less than $500. Kind of in the mid range of small projectors as I recall at the time.

Here is a pic for size reference and also the back ports. Works perfect for my need of hooking up either a blu ray player or DirectTV receiver to watch games and movies. Can also plug in a USB stick. Audio is a little primitive as I use 3.5mm cords to plug in (previously old computer speakers and now) portable Bluetooth speakers that also have 3.5 inputs.

It’s perfectly bright enough at night in a dark backyard for watching movies and even bright enough to sometimes have backyard string lights on for added ambiance when watching games.

94e3006e14b1a657ca61921802ed5d03.jpg

4c53e98254fdfae11837b3792bb5b91b.jpg

I am hooked on watching stuff out there now. Beyond games and movies you’d watch with the kids being all-around more fun and memorable when watched outside, it is also fun having the outside elements enhancing the experience with certain other movies. We’ve watched Twister in really windy conditions and Jaws on July 4th weekend while also sitting in a cheap inflatable pool. Close Encounters was especially memorable with all the lights from planes and helicopters in the distance during the scenes with the alien ships flying around and Blair Witch Project was especially creepy when viewed out on a really dark night.

We initially only watched on nice temperature weather nights but have since become so hooked on it that we’ll bring fans out for hot summer nights as well as use fire pits on colder nights.

Likewise, I’m always looking for an excuse to watch games outside as well. Depending on the “screen” you use (I graduated from initially using a sheet to an actual pull-down projector screen I attach to hooks on our tree house), you end up watching the game on a really “big” screen.

Outdoor movie/sports watching nerd out.

Edited by mdleast