Mail bombs CR thread

Zavala

I know we’ve got synagogue shootings, Soyboys, Brisket death wishes and the like to occupy our attention, but the attempted assassination of Barack Obama, Joe Biden and Hilary Clinton by the Trump-nut MAGAbomber really shouldn’t be a 2nd page news item yet.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Goredho said:

I know we’ve got synagogue shootings, Soyboys, Brisket death wishes and the like to occupy our attention, but the attempted assassination of Barack Obama, Joe Biden and Hilary Clinton by the Trump-nut MAGAbomber really shouldn’t be a 2nd page news item yet.

Hey man, both sides are shooting up synagogues and mailing bombs!

What's that? Im now hearing that it is NOT both sides committing atrocities and attempting assassinations on a regular basis. 

51 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Hey man, both sides are shooting up synagogues and mailing bombs!

What's that? Im now hearing that it is NOT both sides committing atrocities and attempting assassinations on a regular basis. 

Yes, but the Dems haven't gone to great enough lengths to understand and engage with Republicans on matters that are important to them. Until the Dems allow people like Iconoclast to go murder at least half of the caravan, they'll never be able to talk them into not murdering the other half too.

51 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The big takeaway from the events of the past week is the fruits of the propaganda machines are now starting to ripen.

They’ve been slowing boiling these frogs for years and now folks are starting to snap.

Of course there was no way to prevent this and no one saw this coming. 

NOT

I'm telling you every time I see that fucking mug in your profile pic, I have a visceral reaction in my stomach because I know exactly what I'm about to read in the post.  Mix it up a little.

39 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I'm telling you every time I see that fucking mug in your profile pic, I have a visceral reaction in my stomach because I know exactly what I'm about to read in the post.  Mix it up a little.

Disgusting truths should not be suppressed just because they make us uncomfortable. If anything, they should be broadcast even more loudly when that is the case.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, Goredho said:

Poor Khashoggi has fallen off the map. If the internet were  a newspaper, he'd be on page E14 next to Family Circus.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

JFC.  There are (black) people who go to prison longer for smoking weed.  Meanwhile, he attempted to kill an ex-president, senators, Soros, and more I can't remember right now, and gets 20 years.  

Mitigation by Nuremberg defense actually worked here.  “I was just following orders [from the President]”

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

If it's a federal 20 years, he'll do most of it. That sounds like a long time to me, certainly not lenient. None of the bombs went off, did they? I'm thinking he's getting the incompetence discount.

He attempted to murder 13 people. That's a very light sentence, not even two years per attempted victim. Being radicalized by Trump should not be a mitigating factor. 

The targets included leading critics of President Donald Trump such as former President Barack Obama, ex-Vice President Joe Biden, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, actor Robert De Niro and financier George Soros.

Sayoc’s other targets included CNN, former Attorney General Eric Holder, former CIA Director John Brennan, Senators Cory Booker, D-New Jersey, and Kamala Harris, D-California, Rep. Maxine Waters, D-California, former Director James Clapper and Tom Steyer, the billionaire now running for the Democratic presidential nomination with Booker and Harris.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

If it's a federal 20 years, he'll do most of it. That sounds like a long time to me, certainly not lenient. None of the bombs went off, did they? I'm thinking he's getting the incompetence discount.

To be clear, I think the bigger problem is the long prison sentences we're giving for drug crimes, not that Sayoc's only getting 20 years.  But if he was a brown terrorist there is no way he would ever see daylight.  Sayoc sent bombs to two former presidents, three current candidates for president, the losing candidate for president in 2016, Robert De Niro, George Soros,, a former attorney general, former CIA director, former DNI,  other members of congress, and CNN.  He's getting the special treatment for white terrorists.

• Like 2

So if a Muslim terrorist affiliated with ISIS sent bombs to 13 people including two ex presidents, an ex vice president, as well as multiple other ex-government and national security officials, you would be okay with that terrorist being released from prison?

2 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

So if a Muslim terrorist affiliated with ISIS sent bombs to 13 people including two ex presidents, an ex vice president, as well as multiple other ex-government and national security officials, you would be okay with that terrorist being released from prison?

no, but i do think those things are different.  a citizen is subject to criminal laws.  a military combatant is subject to laws of juris in bello.  you could unleash the 7th fleet on one and not the other.

6 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

The unsuccessful shoe bomber got 3 x life plus 110 years.   The unsuccessful underwear bomber got 4 x life plus 50 years. 

And that was through the criminal justice system.

Edited by Mojo Hand

10 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

no, but i do think those things are different.  a citizen is subject to criminal laws.  a military combatant is subject to laws of juris in bello.  you could unleash the 7th fleet on one and not the other.

Ok.  Someone who is brown, in the U.S., maybe here on a visa or a  citizen, radicalized by Isis, sent those bombs.  You think he gets a 20 year sentence?

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

Ok.  Someone who is brown, in the U.S., maybe here on a visa or a  citizen, radicalized by Isis, sent those bombs.  You think he gets a 20 year sentence?

I think he would get sentenced within the federal guidelines...just like this guy. Like it or not, the dude plead guilty and showed remorse...things that get taken into consideration in sentencing all the time. He's an admitted life long alcoholic, so he'll probably die in prison from shitty medical care anyway. Would running up the score with a 100 year sentence on a 57 year old man make you feel safer somehow? 

2 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

it seems sort of light.  i'm just not upset about it either way.   but it is a 20 year sentence of a dude almost at retirement age.  those aren't nothing.  

but again, there are differences. 'this guy was a moron' was actually part of their defense, 'he didn't have the ability to hurt anyone.'   that morphed into 'he actually knew how to build real bombs, but the fact that he didn't shows an intentional decision to not.'   presumably, the ISIS guy wouldn't have those factors.  

sentencing is hard.

He said a Muslim terrorist affiliated with ISIS - that person can absolutely be an American citizen.

And they would have gotten life.

What I'm upset about is the continued treatment of white terrorists, radicalized by white nationalists, as somehow not terrorists.  Of which Sayoc's light sentencing is a perfect example.  Our criminal justice system and sentencing in general needs massive overhaul.   But that's separate and apart from the fact that our federal government, including the judiciary, acts like white terrorists, are just some sad, misguided individuals entitled to sympathy and every benefit of the doubt, but brown terrorists are evil incarnate.  And, for good measure, we should just be suspicious of all brown people.

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I think he would get sentenced within the federal guidelines...just like this guy. Like it or not, the dude plead guilty and showed remorse...things that get taken into consideration in sentencing all the time. He's an admitted life long alcoholic, so he'll probably die in prison from shitty medical care anyway. Would running up the score with a 100 year sentence on a 57 year old man make you feel safer somehow? 

Hmmm...would it make me feel safer if justice were meted out equally and fairly and proportionally in this country? Hmmm...

You know what? I think it would. 

Ask me again in 20 years

2 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I haven’t been keeping up, but weren’t they?

They were inoperable because of design flaws, but capable of exploding:

"Each device consisted of plastic pipe with a digital alarm clock and attached wires. An F.B.I. explosives expert, Kevin D. Finnerty, testified at the sentencing the devices would not have functioned as designed, but were capable of exploding if mishandled."

The judge bought the defense's argument that the design flaws were intentional and intended to scare rather than kill.   Who knows what that nutcase really thought he was doing.