Desoldering DC Jack from PCB

plimon

OK, decided to make my own repair on a busted DC jack. Online videos seemed pretty straight forward.

I'm using a variable temp soldering iron (can go up to 800F) but keep I keep it between 700 and 750 with desoldering braid. The braid seems to wick up about 90% of the solder but the pins will not come out.

Is getting a desoldering pump worth it?

Get a little flux and put it on the leads, it’ll help the solder to flow to the iron better.  If that doesn’t get it add a little bit more solder back into the holes and re-wick.

if the jack is already broken, you could use some dikes and clip the leads off then you should be able to easily extract the nub

Edited by Digdogger

I've been adding solder back to the holes, but I don't have liquid or paste flux. The braid has some in it but does not seem to be getting it done.

Clipping the leads was going to be my next move...i just need to find my dikes. My kids have been "borrowing" them but don't put the back.

If the old jack is completely shit, use a good sharp pair of diagnal cutters to trim the connector portion away leaving the leg in the thru hole.  Then take a set of hemostats clipped to the component side of the jackleg and heat the bottom side of the thruhole until the solder flows and pull lead away.  Use solder braid or soldapult to remove solder from thruhole.  Repeat for all legs of component.  Install new component and resolder.

I used to rebuild a lot of damaged intrumentation products that used old 8051 series microcontrollers in 40 pin dips that were direct soldered to board and not in a socket.  First thing was to take the dikes and cut away the body of the IC.