Nintendo Switch

Deej

I can't remember the last game I dove into to the degree I have Zelda. Granted, I've got 3 kids 5 and under so I don't have a ton of time to play, but it's consumed almost all my playing time since the end of July. I just finished all 120 Shrines and I'm in process of farming to get the "Armor of the Wild" upgrades, then it's finally time to take on Gannon.

Not really sure what's going to be next for me. My oldest loves Splatoon, but I'm not sure I'm down for it.

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Golf story is a great little game to play if you like pixel art styles and "in" jokes about video games. I loved it on switch

Agreed, golf story was great. 

I picked up Skyrim when it was on sale at Amazon recently, playing through that again on switch with the DLC is pretty cool.  It runs very well.

Steamworld Dig 2 was good, if you like Metroidvania style games.  Axiom Verge and Cave Story+ are also good games along these lines, but the originals have been out for a while so if you've played them elsewhere, I don't think there's anything new in the switch versions.

Blaster Master was a nice remake of the old school NES game.

Dragon Quest Builders was actually pretty fun too, kind of a Minecraft with an actual story and direction.  It has a free demo so you can check it out before buying.  The combat is super easy so it would be fine for kids too.

I'm interested in binding of Isaac too, but haven't picked that one up yet. 

Yeah, did play Golf Story. Fun little game. 

Thought about Skyrim, because it would be a great time-killer being portable. My only concern would be if the text is at all legible on that screen. Developers really need to increase the font size on some of these ports.

I won a Switch and the Mario Odyssey game in a cereal box contest - no shit.  Still haven’t set it up yet.  I’m waiting until summer to spring it on my kids, but in the meantime I’m bribing them with the prospect of it to get them to work hard and get good grades.  Ha!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Deej said:

Aside from Zelda, Mario Odyssey, and Mario Kart, what are ya'll playing.

This system eats my time. Bought it when it dropped and still having played it in anything but portable mode. 

Shovel Knight is a great throwback to the glory days of the NES -- it's probably the best modern 'retro' style game that I've played.

Splatoon 2 is great.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle was a nice surprise and I had a lot of fun with it. 

I played Arms for a little bit and didn't really care for it. Need to give it a second chance.

I'm playing through Kirby: Star Allies now, I usually really enjoy the Kirby games but this one is kind of meh.

I've really enjoyed Zelda and of course the Mario games with my Daughter. One game that is fun for us is Lego Worlds. It's a lot like Minecraft and she enjoys it. One thing is, to play co-op you'll need two controllers. You can't play two players with just the standard controller that comes with the switch.

The kids played a demo of Kirby and are all obsessed with getting it now. I bought them the Mario Rabbids game and was disappointed that it had no co-op mode, only a versus mode. They do like it even if they have to take turns. Santa was supposed to bring them Splatoon 2 but it got lost in Santa's mother's house where she was keeping it for Santa. Thankfully, Santa's mother found it in her closet this weekend while trying to get stuff for the Easter Bunny. So now it's going to be my daughter's birthday present later this month.

Mario+Rabbids does have co-op. There are five co-op campaigns separate from the main single player story. 

They just aren’t there right away. You unlock each campaign after clearing each world in the normal game. In the castle area you get access to the “Buddy dome” after clearing the first world. That’s where you play co-op. 

You will have a team of 4 characters with each player controlling 2. 

How old would you recommend for the switch ? My son is too young for Xbox stuff, but maybe switch would be ok

Your last sentence is what I would ask someone looking for system guidance on what to get for their kid/family. Too young for XBOX/PS4, is the perfect age for Switch. Switch is great for all ages.

Kids were excited when I made them get in the car yesterday to go grab a WiiU that someone in our neighborhood put up for free. They wanted the WiiU for Christmas but I couldn't justify buying an obsolete system so "Santa" got them a Switch instead. Now they have both!

• 3 weeks later...

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is awesome. Haven't played a DKC game since the SNES, it's rather difficult, but it doesn't frustrate you to where you want to just toss the damn thing against the wall. Just the perfect balance of fun and difficulty. 

More obscure stuff:

It got lukewarm reviews, but if you liked those N64 3d platformers, Yooka-Laylee takes up a lot of my time.  It is desperately unfair and brutally difficult, though.

Subsurface Circular is a good cheap game to play on a long plane flight.

Never Stop Sneakin' is good and funny.

If you liked Zelda-LttP on SNES, Blossom King is a complete ripoff of that game.  In a good way.

For some weird reason the indie stuff seems to play better on the Switch screen and the big-time, first party Nintendo stuff plays better on the TV.

Switch Online info was released today. $20 a year, online digital NES games that can be played with others, and cloud backups.

nintendo_switch_online_nes__medium.png

It's been over a year since Nintendo Switch launched, but Nintendo's planned online service hasn't yet debuted on the system. Nintendo announced a September launch for the service in January, and today we finally have some concrete details on what we can expect. Nintendo has just opened up a website for Nintendo Switch Online, revealing pricing, content, and more.

The most obvious feature Nintendo Switch Online comes with is the ability to play online games like Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. This is currently free, but it will be part of the paid program starting in September. Prices for Nintendo Switch Online on a single Nintendo Account vary by length. One month is $3.99, three months is $7.99, and a full year is $19.99.

Starting May 15th, Nintendo Account owners can also pay for a Family Membership to Nintendo Switch Online. With a Family Membership, up to eight accounts can all share the benefits of membership in one bundle. The only price currently listed for family accounts is one year at $34.99.

The next major feature of Nintendo Switch Online is a digital Nintendo Entertainment System. Paying members will have access to a library of classic NES games with 20 available at launch and more planned over time. Every classic game comes with new online features, like competitive or cooperative modes. The list of games currently revealed for this digital NES includes:

• Soccer
  • Balloon Fight
  • Tennis
  • Ice Climber
  • Donkey Kong
  • Dr. Mario
  • Mario Bros.
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 3

Next up on the list of features coming to Nintendo Switch Online is something fans have been begging for: cloud backups for your save files. Additional details will be revealed about this service prior to the launch in September. For now, we know this feature is exclusive to Nintendo Switch Online members.

As Splatoon 2 players know, a Nintendo Switch Online app is currently available for smart devices. This smartphone app is designed to enhance your online experience for compatible games, such as Splatoon 2's "SplatNet 2" features. This app can also be used to voice chat with friends when playing supported games online, including digital NES titles. Only Nintendo Switch Online members will be able to use the app once the service goes live.

Finally, Nintendo will be making special offers exclusively to Nintendo Switch Online members. At this time there are no offers listed, but the website will be updated with additional information as we get closer to September. With E3 around the corner, it's also possible that we'll learn more next month. In the meantime, you can check out the Official FAQ if you have any questions.

17 hours ago, Deej said:

Get a tempered glass screen cover.

16 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Pro controller is a must for TV play. 

These are the two must haves. I'd also recommend something to use while in handheld mode to give you more grip. I personally have both of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073XF3CXV?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0773KT5VS?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

The silicone grips are more comfortable than the grip case, but they slide around and can be annoying.

The grip case is nice, but the hard plastic grips will hurt your hands after a while.

Pick your poison, but you will definitely want something for more grip.

• Like 1

Dowloaded the Megaman collection. I forgot how brutally difficult those games were. Fun, though.

For all of the old NES games, Mega Man was one that I could not get into. I remember my friends all having boners over it, and I pissing me off that I could not get into to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 12:44 PM, Capn81 said:

Anyone else playing Donkey Kong? I forgot how much I loved 2D side scrollers, but my damn ADD will not let me move past a level until I truly 100% it.

Is it difficult?  I need an insanely hard 2D side scroller to make my kids play through so they know how easy they have it now.  Tried to get them to play the NES Ninja Gaiden but it's way too outdated to keep their attention

Not a 2D side scroller but a very hard game I’m having lots of fun with is Wizard of Legend. It’s on multiple platforms but I bought it on Switch. 

Its a Rogue-like where you do have some permanent progress through earning gems you buy new abilities with. Pretty difficult and pretty steep learning curve. 

But it’s super quick to jump right into when you die. I haven’t made it very far yet but slowly getting better.

22 hours ago, NateHitch said:

Is it difficult?  I need an insanely hard 2D side scroller to make my kids play through so they know how easy they have it now.  Tried to get them to play the NES Ninja Gaiden but it's way too outdated to keep their attention

Have you showed them videos of speed runner Arcus playing Ninja Gaiden?

That got my son interested. 

I do not think so. I am a perfectionist, so 100% the level can be tricky.

• 3 weeks later...

There's some arcade offerings on the Switch, such as classics that are meant to be played in the vertical position.  That leads me to thinking about contributing to the kickstarter for this:

original.jpgThe Flip Grip.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fangamer/flip-grip

"Meet the Flip Grip, a handheld accessory for vertical-mode gaming on the Switch. A pair of Joy-con rails on either side of the grip allow you to flip the Switch 90 degrees for vertical handheld action."

Games that you might want to play vertical are:  Donkey Kong, Punch-Out!!, Dig-Dug, Galaga, Pac-Man, Vanguard, Victory Road, and more.