Nintendo Switch

Deej

Just remember it's the vanilla game plus some of the early DLC civs. It doesn't have either of the two expansions or any of the civs that came after Rise and Fall. 

It's still a good time on the Switch, especially handheld mode with the touchscreen but it isn't the same game as PC anymore. 

For 20 it's a good deal, and I hope they eventually release the other expansions. 

I doubt it would happen but I hope they bundle both expansions and all the DLC into one relatively cheaper price given that it's so far behind the PC version. 

27 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Just remember it's the vanilla game plus some of the early DLC civs. It doesn't have either of the two expansions or any of the civs that came after Rise and Fall. 

It's still a good time on the Switch, especially handheld mode with the touchscreen but it isn't the same game as PC anymore. 

For 20 it's a good deal, and I hope they eventually release the other expansions. 

I doubt it would happen but I hope they bundle both expansions and all the DLC into one relatively cheaper price given that it's so far behind the PC version. 

Isn’t it also missing multiplayer?  I hated playing the computer.  Much more fun to win against some 13-year-old from Ohio.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

If there is a just God, Link to the Past will get the Link's Awakening treatment.

I think we're more likely to get a N64 or after port, but after BOTW2.  Hell, I hope next year we get some Gameboy games in the NES/SNES Switch Online mold - I'd like Seasons, Ages, Minish Cap and a ALBW. 

• 2 months later...

BTW, this Friday Nov 22 the expansion bundle for Civilization 6 is coming to Nintendo Switch. The base game is really improved with the expansions. Both Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm, and I assume the other random DLC civs will be packaged together for $50.

The base game and the expansion bundle are also finally coming to PS4 and XBox on the same day. 

• Like 1

Got the Civ expansions on Switch and so far it runs about like the base game did. The interface with the era score and the governor system is pretty ok. 

I did find that if you have the production default to the queue it makes it a few more clicks if you just want to buy a unit with gold but I think I still prefer the queue as default. 

The Switch version also now supports limited multiplayer, though I'm not positive it was because of the expansion or an earlier patch. Originally it was single player only. It is not, however, online multiplayer. It can work with multiple Switches on a local network or you can do Hotseat multiplayer where you pass the controller back and forth. 

The expansion pack only includes the civs that were originally packaged with the expansions. The Khmer, Indonesia and Nubia are still separate DLC items. 

But laying in bed and playing in handheld without having to be at my computer in the office is totally worth the trade off of longer load times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Learn on Prince or easier difficulty to give yourself time to make mistakes. 

There are decent YouTube tutorials out there that explain the basics and essential things like how to evaluate where to settle, combat, and adjacency bonuses for districts. 

Then it helps to watch some people play the game, at least for the first 50-100 turns or so to get an idea for how the early game goes. I like a YouTuber that goes by Omega Alden. 

And if you have just the basic game go way back in their video library to when it first came out. If you got the expansions as well then watch the current videos. 

The expansions change so much that it would be confusing watching them if you are playing vanilla. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So, I am toying with the notion of a Switch or Switch Lite to absorb some coronavirus downtime.

I enjoy games, but am not a gamer.  I played a fair amount of shooters on a PS2 way back when and have a Gameboy.

I am thinking the Lite is adequate for my "needs."

Thoughts?

Sorry, out of rep.

It appears that the lite plays all the switch games, except the ones that can't or shouldn't be played in handheld mode.

I don't need detachable controllers, I don't think and have little interest in playing games on TV.  But you can pair controllers with the Lite.

Got a switch on order for boys’ birthday, along with Mario odyssey. Should help with our social distancing. What dlc and other games should I be looking at?

wiiu has Mario kart so I won’t duplicate that. Prefer problem solving and quest games to shoot em up. Sports games are covered on Xbox. Looking for Nintendo specific content (multiplayer so I’ll hold off on Zelda initially)

18 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

I thought I would mostly play handheld mode as well. I've found that I don't. I do, just I tend to have it hooked to a tv more than not.

Same. If I’m at home it’s exclusively on the tv.  Only handheld on the train or when traveling 

• Like 1

Well I went looking around and Switches were hard to find in stock.

So I pulled the trigger on the only local Switch to be found (Target).  I didn't realize quite how it worked with the TV, that's pretty cool.  I have Zelda coming and am playing some free stuff to learn how it works.

On 3/15/2020 at 6:05 PM, TwiceHorn said:

So I pulled the trigger on the only local Switch to be found (Target).  I didn't realize quite how it worked with the TV, that's pretty cool.  I have Zelda coming and am playing some free stuff to learn how it works.

Welcome to the addiction. Be careful with controller selection. You’ll want one that has the gyros in it. Found that out the hard way. Not all games take advantage of that, but Zelda does (in places) for sure. 

On 3/15/2020 at 5:05 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Oh to experience BOTW for the first time on a Switch again.   My first playthrough was a WiiU.  Then on the Switch, it was like a brand new game. 

On 3/16/2020 at 11:10 PM, thunderlounge said:

Welcome to the addiction. Be careful with controller selection. You’ll want one that has the gyros in it. Found that out the hard way. Not all games take advantage of that, but Zelda does (in places) for sure. 

I had no issue playing BOTW with the joycons. 

23 hours ago, Js1 said:

I had no issue playing BOTW with the joycons. 

Correct.

There are some 3rd party controllers that don't have the gyros though, so certain aspects within the game (not trying to spoil it for Twice, but you know the few places I'm referring to) would be impossible with another controller.

The joycons are fine, and the nintendo pro controller is also fine. I have two others (a wired and a wireless) that aren't.

My daughters are playing Animal Crossing together right now. The multiplayer is a bit clunky in how it works because there can only be one island per Switch and when they play coop on the same screen only one of them can really do everything at a time. They have to keep swapping who is "leader" and who is "follower"

It's just more proof that Nintendo really has no idea how to do multiplayer games. 

It's not a switch question, but rather an NES question and I didn't want to start another thread.

Anyone know how to play NES/SNES games online against someone else?  I've played all the classic games on emulators but haven't figured out how to do so against people/friends. Been a few years since I've played, so maybe there are ways now. 

13 hours ago, LABEVO said:

I bought one to keep away the boredom. Give me games to buy. 

DOOM.  DOOM 2.  Nintendo Switch Online for NES and SNES games.  Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.  Super Mario Odyssey.  Megaman Legacy Collection.

Those are what I've been playing recently.  I haven't played Megaman 11 yet or Super Mario Bros U Deluxe yet, but they're ready.