Nintendo Switch

Deej

On 1/24/2023 at 11:48 AM, Firemans4Horn said:

Got a switch a few months ago from my BIL, I didn’t play it much but bought Breath of the Wild recently. What an amazing game. 

I think I'm just not built for these games. Kid has it, but he is still a little young to really be able to get too far in it. He spends a lot of time cooking and buying stuff. So I've been playing it to get farther into the game as he likes to see the story unfold.

I want to like it, but holy shit there is so much annoying stuff you have to do. Having to cook? Weapons constantly breaking? Having to change in and out of clothes for different environments, etc? The game is fun, but there is so much tedium that breaks up the adventure. I want to run around and fight bad guys. I don't want to have to change weapons every 10 uses.

Also... so... much... dialogue. Everywhere, all the time.

10 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

"Switch 2" reportedly releasing Fall 2024. Will be handheld and continue to have a slot for physical game chips. Didn't realize that Switch has been on the market for over 6 years now. Will have been close to 7 1/2 years by the time this new console releases.

I think they probably learned a little bit from the Wii U on how to make a successor that's both backwards compatible but makes a leap in the hardware.  The fact that Nintendo is wanting to make sure that current Online subscribers keep everything they've accumulated (not just games, but all of the awards/rewards, skins, etc.) and carry them over is very telling. They realized that with the Wii U and that people valued carrying over their Wii games, etc., but they fucked up on the execution of the hardware.

And given how good the Switch is, all they really need to do is bump up to 4K output and more storage and more RAM.  The existing form factor is fantastic.

And the beauty is that with a Switch 2 or whatever, the old switch will continue to be used (maybe it gets relegated to being "the travel Switch" or "retro switch" or something).

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2023 at 10:52 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I think they probably learned a little bit from the Wii U on how to make a successor that's both backwards compatible but makes a leap in the hardware.  The fact that Nintendo is wanting to make sure that current Online subscribers keep everything they've accumulated (not just games, but all of the awards/rewards, skins, etc.) and carry them over is very telling. They realized that with the Wii U and that people valued carrying over their Wii games, etc., but they fucked up on the execution of the hardware.

And given how good the Switch is, all they really need to do is bump up to 4K output and more storage and more RAM.  The existing form factor is fantastic.

And the beauty is that with a Switch 2 or whatever, the old switch will continue to be used (maybe it gets relegated to being "the travel Switch" or "retro switch" or something).

My complaint about the Switch is that controllers are a complete headache for linking up. I wish they were just automatically connected and could already tell the orientation.

Other than that, the Switch is pretty sweet. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

My son wants a Switch for Christmas. I plan on getting him the OLeD model. As far as games, do you have to download all of them like newer consoles or do you have the ability to load it from the cartridges?

As thunderlounge said, both.

If you buy them on cartridge, you can resell them or he can trade them with friends.  If you buy the download, it's locked to your account.  We have a mix of games on cart and digital - most of the high-dollar stuff, I bought on cart so we can sell or swap around.

But they are tiny, so get something to keep them in (or keep the cases).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

My son wants a Switch for Christmas. I plan on getting him the OLeD model.

One other thing, set up an account at https://www.nintendo.com/us/ and go ahead and favorite all of the games he might be interested in, so you'll get notices when they are on sale through the Nintendo shop.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/26/2023 at 5:11 PM, Jkwellborn said:

My son wants a Switch for Christmas. I plan on getting him the OLeD model. As far as games, do you have to download all of them like newer consoles or do you have the ability to load it from the cartridges?

There are so many games that aren't on cartridges. I bought cartridges initially for all the big AAA games, but it's so much easier to just have them on an SD card. Buy the biggest micro SD card you can afford. It fills up fast. I have 6 years worth of games on a 512 mb card. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Deej said:

There are so many games that aren't on cartridges. I bought cartridges initially for all the big AAA games, but it's so much easier to just have them on an SD card. Buy the biggest micro SD card you can afford. It fills up fast. I have 6 years worth of games on a 512 mb card. 

Smaller/cheaper games that I probably won't resell, definitely do downloads.

Speaking of, everybody reading this, if you're going to visit relatives (or have them visit) and you have a Switch, get Gang Beasts and Boomerang Fu.  You'll thank me.

I had a 32g micro sd xc or something like that laying around still in the package.

57 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I had a 32g micro sd xc or something like that laying around still in the package.

Not enough. That will get you by at first,but get at least 512 and avoid the hassle of having to download or transfer when the time inevitably comes. I bought a Samsung one last week for 27 bucks.

Not enough. That will get you by at first,but get at least 512 and avoid the hassle of having to download or transfer when the time inevitably comes. I bought a Samsung one last week for 27 bucks.

I’ll grab one this weekend and transfer everything most likely. Like you said, it will keep him from bugging me for a bit.

Kids got the Bluey game from Santa and were playing it while I took a nap on the couch behind them because I was up until 1:30 doing Santa stuff. Little stinks kept asking me what they were supposed to do like I was some kind of video game genius. I have no idea what is going on. Figure it out yourselves. Y'all know more than I do!

8 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Kids got the Bluey game from Santa and were playing it while I took a nap on the couch behind them because I was up until 1:30 doing Santa stuff. Little stinks kept asking me what they were supposed to do like I was some kind of video game genius. I have no idea what is going on. Figure it out yourselves. Y'all know more than I do!

THat's my problem with an overly smart 4yo. He's too good for the games meant for 4 year olds, but other games are just a wee bit too hard for him. So he's constantly asking me to help him beat a level or whatever. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 3:27 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think I'm just not built for these games. Kid has it, but he is still a little young to really be able to get too far in it. He spends a lot of time cooking and buying stuff. So I've been playing it to get farther into the game as he likes to see the story unfold.

I want to like it, but holy shit there is so much annoying stuff you have to do. Having to cook? Weapons constantly breaking? Having to change in and out of clothes for different environments, etc? The game is fun, but there is so much tedium that breaks up the adventure. I want to run around and fight bad guys. I don't want to have to change weapons every 10 uses.

Also... so... much... dialogue. Everywhere, all the time.

Wow, what a dumb take by me.

Also, Santa brought Tears of the Kingdom. That game is amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw that Hogwart's Legacy finally dropped for Switch.

Picked it up for half price from the store the other day. Now I see why it took so damn long, and still isn't great on the switch, IMO. Way too many swirling wheels to load a room before the door opens, or load screens, and super slow. Not the performance I was hoping for, which IMO kind of sours the experience on the switch. Maybe the PC/PS5/Whatever runs it better without all the delays distracting from immersion in game play.

It's great on my PS5, but even that has some spinning wheel when trying to navigate between areas in Hogwarts (going inside to outside usually). 

Good thing you paid half price - i loved it when it came out, enjoyed the crap out of it for 2 weeks.  Tried to replay it over the weekend and got bored.  The replay value isn't that high.  But it definitely scratched an itch and sometimes I still fire it up just to fly around or walk around Hogwarts.

• Like 1

I have a 6.5 year old and he loves the Nintendo Switch. The ex-wife actually started getting him into video games a year ago which kind of annoyed me at first. But I've come around to it. 

He LOVES Zelda: Breath of the Wild.  We went to Ren Fest a few months ago and I got him an ocarina and "Master Sword". 

There is a lot of usefulness with this game in particular that I think benefits him overall. Tons of problem solving and creativity needed. HIs reading has improved greatly. 

He's an only child, and I'm going with the strategy of letting him play video games when he wants to. Obviously I put a time limit on it and make sure he's physically active, but I think it will pay off in the end. If you told me I couldn't do something as a kid, I'd want to do it even more. I think he's the same way. He barely touches his iPad anymore after being attached to it for a couple of years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/9/2024 at 8:31 AM, Js1 said:

It's great on my PS5, but even that has some spinning wheel when trying to navigate between areas in Hogwarts (going inside to outside usually). 

Good thing you paid half price - i loved it when it came out, enjoyed the crap out of it for 2 weeks.  Tried to replay it over the weekend and got bored.  The replay value isn't that high.  But it definitely scratched an itch and sometimes I still fire it up just to fly around or walk around Hogwarts.

How many times is the software going to "quit because of an unexpected error"?

It definitely struggles hard on the switch.

Just now, thunderlounge said:

How many times is the software going to "quit because of an unexpected error"?

It definitely struggles hard on the switch.

I was shocked, tbh, that it made it to Switch.  I don't think the Switch's current hardware can handle how big this game is.