Nintendo Switch

Deej

If any of you Surly's have little ones, Nintendo LABO is a great STEM activity / engagement.  Takes some dedicated time, but our son has enjoyed the offerings.

Saw this come across my feed today.  Will definitely be checking it out!  https://vrscout.com/news/nintendo-announces-labo-vr-kit/?utm_source=VRScout+Scouting+Report&utm_campaign=bca7d3da73-VRScoutReport_030819&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f3642cd298-bca7d3da73-162005281#

Edited by Izhmash
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Js1 said:

Picked up Odyssey in addition to pre-ordering Cadence of Hyrule (playable after 11am). 

Couldn't decide between Mario Kart 8 or Odyssey but read Odyssey's replayability factor is way better.

Nice choices!  Odyssey and MK8 are totally different games.  MK8 is great with a local group of friends to play with.  My son and I play Odyssey together...its fun, but damn is it frustrating when he is playing Cappy and jumps me straight into a bad guy or off a cliff...lol!

On 6/15/2019 at 9:49 PM, usmc0331horn said:

Is the Switch going to come down in price? I'm really thinking of getting one cause I'm kind of sick of XBox games not named GTA 6 and want to play Zelda, Mario Kart and Odyssey.

Have you tried Gamestop or EBay / Craigslist?  Just go get a good used one...

• 2 weeks later...

I got Mario Maker 2. Tons of levels to play in story mode from Nintendo. Then obviously infinite levels to play of varying quality. 

It's fun so far. I haven't gotten into the actual editor yet, still working through story mode. 

I got Mario Maker 2. Tons of levels to play in story mode from Nintendo. Then obviously infinite levels to play of varying quality. 
It's fun so far. I haven't gotten into the actual editor yet, still working through story mode. 
Picked that up as well. It's a lot of fun. Basically endless replay value.

I guess I see the appeal and it's definitely a "oh lookie, handheld Switch for the kids to play Pokémon Sword/Shield" but for that price point, I'd go with the regular switch just for the ability to play it on the TV.  Not to mention no HD rumble would really fuck up a few games like Mario Odyssey that use it as a playing mechanic to find moons. 

Cannot be docked or connected to the TV at all
Smaller screen but same resolution
No kickstand
No HD rumble
No brightness adjustment
Price point is only $100 less
Joycons cannot be removed (good fucking luck if you bust one or anything goes wrong with them) 

If you’re as old as me, some games are a bit too detailed for the regular Switch screen. Sometimes text is close to unreadably small, some things you need to notice are specks in the background. I have to dock the thing in sections of games just to figure out what to do.

I can’t imagine how hard it would be to see that stuff on the new one.  

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

It's a $200 Gameboy because you can't dock it. 

I think that may be the point. It could be an early start to having the gameboy/DS be the mini partner to the main one. Streamlines the development platform, the experience, etc. Be able to push/sync data between (maybe via cloud?) and there you go. Or either one on their own is just fine.

Now whether something like that ends up working is another matter, but I can at least see the concept. 

Nintendo said you can sync your online purchases/content and saves between devices.  That's a plus. 

Still doesn't seem worth $200.  At the moment, it seems very limited to Nintendo looking for money during the holiday season by marketing it as the new Gameboy paired with Pokémon Sword/Shield.  But if you ask them, the 3DS is NOT DEAD so stop saying it. 

Not bad, but I would not be surprised one bit if this (or it’s next gen) ends up being the new and only portable from then on. Would have to have backwards compatibility, but not overly difficult to do.

Having multiple devices that can play anything from a single catalog would be a good enhancement. 

I think you can have 8 profiles on one switch. Most all the games save games based on profiles so you don't usually have much save file management to do. You just have to close the game and restart it under the other profile to switch saves. 

Just be sure to always purchase downloads with the same profile all the time though because otherwise you split up the reward points you earn and you can't really pool them back together to redeem them. 

Completing tetrises and combos sends extra lines of blocks to other people. That's why sometimes gray blocks appear on your screen. 

You have some control over who you send those lines to. 

It shows who you are attacking by drawing lines to their Tetris boards surrounding your screen. 

You change who you target with the right stick in a direction noted at the top of the screen. 

Random, KOs, attackers, badges 

KOs target people about to die to try and knock them out. Attackers target anyone targeting you. Badges attack people with multiplier badges. 

You earn multiplier badges by KOing people and if you have badges it sends extra lines to the others. 

If you are targeting lots of people at the same time it also sends extra lines. 

• 1 month later...

My six year old nephew got the switch and I was watching him play it the other day and damn if I wasn't jealous.

I haven't played consoles in years (I'm 46) but this got me interested.

Spent about 10 years playing EQ, EQ2 & SWTOR, so I'd be interested in similar titles.

well, i get that, but i'm waiting on Pantheon to come out and I'll get a PC rig for that.

this looks cool to play on the go, lot of travel coming up.

the new zelda sounds like something i'd be into

Edited by Pablo

46 minutes ago, Pablo said:

My six year old nephew got the switch and I was watching him play it the other day and damn if I wasn't jealous.

I haven't played consoles in years (I'm 46) but this got me interested.

Spent about 10 years playing EQ, EQ2 & SWTOR, so I'd be interested in similar titles.

Zelda, Diablo 3, Skyrim.

• Like 1