Jade Bird (click these, you will not regret)

SwanderedTalent

1 hour ago, Ollie Slatt said:

I saw her at SXSW this year.  Probably the best show I attended.  

I can believe it, she has a bunch of live showcases on YouTube and is a really engaging performer. I'm kicking myself in the dick for not having heard of her sooner since she doesn't have any 2018 US dates scheduled. Maybe next year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 9:26 AM, jimmyjazz said:

She's like a better Courtney Barnett.

<incoming>

Ha. I loved Courtney Barnett when she first hit but she's almost a punch out for me now. Just getting exposed to Jade Bird after hearing "Lottery" on KXT last week or so. Pretty good. Some of her other stuff I haven't gotten as into yet but I'll keep trying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I usually listen to the NPR critics end-of-year "best of" show, in hopes of discovering a few new artists every year.  Sometimes it works.

One year, all three of the critics just RAVED about Courtney Barnett.  "She wrote a song about her ASTHMA ATTACK!"  And then they played it and they all fawned over it like it was some kind of fucking achievement.  It's horrible, unlistenable nonsense.  It has no redeeming quality.  None.  It seemed completely calculated to make you say, "Oh, that's so QUIRKY!"  Which is even more annoying than all the ironic moustaches on the first five rows of a Mumford show.  She has all the genius and creativity of the second season of Punky Brewster.  

I've been waiting half a decade to talk about how much she fucking sucks.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I usually listen to the NPR critics end-of-year "best of" show, in hopes of discovering a few new artists every year.  Sometimes it works.

One year, all three of the critics just RAVED about Courtney Barnett.  "She wrote a song about her ASTHMA ATTACK!"  And then they played it and they all fawned over it like it was some kind of fucking achievement.  It's horrible, unlistenable nonsense.  It has no redeeming quality.  None.  It seemed completely calculated to make you say, "Oh, that's so QUIRKY!"  Which is even more annoying than all the ironic moustaches on the first five rows of a Mumford show.  She has all the genius and creativity of the second season of Punky Brewster.  

LMAO.  I'm not quite so far down the road of disgust as you, but I do think she's overrated.  She reminds me of the initial burst of deadpan "ironic" alt-rock bands like Cake and Marcy Playground.  It's the whole "I just couldn't be bothered" delivery that turns me off, more so than the actual content.  That said, I can listen to a Cake tune these days and be entertained.

20 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I’ve never listened to Courtney Barnett, but rants like this are why Al Gore invented the internet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

CSB:

At a SXSW thing last year, I was back stage and did the meet and greet thing with her.  Did the photo in front of some branded backdrop, the whole thing.  Apparently, I look a lot like someone she knows back home and she had her manager take a photo of us to show her friend.  So, somewhere out there there is a photo of us that was circulated around her circle of friends.

*CSB*

Anyway, she good and she puts on a good show.