Wrong mail being delivered to my house

There are a couple of people that occasionally have pieces of mail show up in my mailbox. I've lived at this house for 1.5 years, and I know the names of the previous owners and this isn't them. I'm not sure if these people lived here several years prior or if it's just a complete wrong address that was entered, but for whatever reason USPS keeps delivering it incorrectly.

I've always written "Wrong Address" on it and dropped it back in the outgoing mail. That's a little bit of a pain in the ass because the mail drop is a few blocks away so it creates a minor chore for me to remember to go by there. It's also becoming much more frequent. It was about 1-2 pieces of mail a month, now it's been 4 pieces of mail this week, 3 pieces of mail last week.

I tried finding this person on social media and google but no hits.

Is there anything else I can do to stop this?

I suppose the lazy option would be to start throwing it away and let it be their problem when they aren't receiving stuff they expect to get.

Is it, like, real mail (bills and/or letters from people), or just wads of promotional shit? If the latter, I suppose somebody filled out a form using your address, by mistake or on purpose, and it is slowly expanding through the promoto-sphere as advertisers sell lists of names to each other.

Here's what you do.  Wait until after 2pm.  Then drive around your hood looking for a parked mail van.  They usually are in inconspicuous spots under a tree.  When you find it approach and knock.  They will be napping so give them a minute.   Now, here's the most important part, give them your address and tell him the situation.  Then say, "I appreciate your service, sorry to have disturbed you during your daily nap."  I can almost promise you this should get your desired results.  

47 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I've always written "Wrong Address" on it and dropped it back in the outgoing mail.

What you described was the correct address, but the addressee didn't live at your address.  You have confused the postal worker by writing wrong address on the mail when it clearly is the right address.  You're lucky you are still getting your mail.

Elvis:

Return to sender,  addressee unknown, .......  that is where I stop on the writing on the offending mail.  Maybe right address,  addressee is not correct is the message.

edit:  that is if I can find a fucking pen in my console to write on the offending mail.  then I get to raise the flat on the mailbox.  then I go to panchos.

Edited by zork

usps has gone to complete utter shit.  last two week long trips out of town, i stopped the mail.  got a nice confirmation email and everything.  every fucking day, assholes delivered the mail.  i had to call my neighbor to get the mail.  

now i constantly get other people's mail delivered to my house.   no telling how much of my shit gets mis-delivered to other peoples' houses. my neighbor signed up for the Informed Delivery service which "allows you to view greyscale images of the exterior, address side of letter-sized mailpieces and track packages in one convenient location."  some days he doesn't receive the mail that the fucking informed service says that he's supposed to.  

got damned federal government workers.  

• Like 1

I only get misdirected mail when the replacement carrier is on duty. She might be a little special.

About once a year I will get a baby shower or wedding invitation for the people who live two houses away. I guess they told a bunch of their friends the wrong address when they first moved in. I walk them up there. Dude's got a KA sticker on his car, maybe I ought to have him just send a servant around instead.

Edited by RDCanecutter

Is it, like, real mail (bills and/or letters from people), or just wads of promotional shit?

It looks like real mail, mostly from United Healthcare, some of which says “tax document” on the envelope but some of which doesn’t say anything.

If it was generic credit card offers I would simply trash them.

On 10/26/2018 at 6:15 PM, wild_turkey said:

There are a couple of people that occasionally have pieces of mail show up in my mailbox. I've lived at this house for 1.5 years, and I know the names of the previous owners and this isn't them. I'm not sure if these people lived here several years prior or if it's just a complete wrong address that was entered, but for whatever reason USPS keeps delivering it incorrectly.

I've always written "Wrong Address" on it and dropped it back in the outgoing mail. That's a little bit of a pain in the ass because the mail drop is a few blocks away so it creates a minor chore for me to remember to go by there. It's also becoming much more frequent. It was about 1-2 pieces of mail a month, now it's been 4 pieces of mail this week, 3 pieces of mail last week.

I tried finding this person on social media and google but no hits.

Is there anything else I can do to stop this?

I suppose the lazy option would be to start throwing it away and let it be their problem when they aren't receiving stuff they expect to get.

Why do you live a few blocks away from your mailbox?

The previous owners of our home moved out 7 years ago.  The house was vacant for just about a year, and we moved in late 2012.

The previous owners still own a small business nearby, and moved to a home a few miles away.

To this day, we still receive:

-Correspondence from the IRS to both the husband and wife

-Correspondence from our state taxation authority to both husband and wife

-Correspondence from their accountant

-Mail for the business (not the couple) from the IRS

-Banking and investment correspondence.

-Amazon delivered some shit to our front door intended for the wife.

We quit after about a year writing return to sender or somesuch on the letters and just throw them away.  If they can't bring themselves to update their address with their bank or their accountant, then there's really no point.  Further, we've questioned the common sense and intellect these folks have if they can't even properly update shit.

Hell, with our home insurance, we had issues (long story for another thread) for the previous owners had not reported to their own insurance company that they had moved.