2019 WR Marcus Washington

Machinator

11 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Carrington was referring to Washington 

947569.png
"Washington was set to make a commitment this summer, and Ohio State was widely considered his leader. However, Washington pushed back his timeline after a scandal rocked the Buckeyes program. That quickly opened the door for Texas to make a move.  And the Longhorns took full advantage as they hit a grand slam with Washington and his family on their official visit in mid-September.
Texas Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington was extremely involved in the recruitment of Washington. Carrington spent a ton of time with his family on their official visit and is a big reason the Longhorns were able to make a late surge.

Washington is a teammate of key 2020 target Mookie Cooper"
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

1) Sorry for asking but currently is CJ  X and DD is Z?

2) What characteristics are typically wanted for an X WR  and the Z WR?

1) Yes

2) X is typically your big-bodied possession receiver lining up on the boundary side who can move the chains and win contested jump balls. Marcus Washington obviously doesn't have the size that CJ does, but he has outstanding ball skills and can high-point with the best of them. The Z receiver (on the field side) tends to be the speed threat who can win on deep routes, which is where players such as Burt and Duvernay are cast. Washington isn't necessarily a speed demon, but I think he's "game fast", and can turn on the burners when needed.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Machinator said:

2) X is typically your big-bodied possession receiver lining up on the boundary side who can move the chains and win contested jump balls. 

Not that I disagree, because size helps(insert south Austin's mom joke), but I think it has more to do with being a "possession " receiver. The guy who you want to get the ball to 3rd and medium and catches anything thrown his way. 

7 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Not that I disagree, because size helps(insert south Austin's mom joke), but I think it has more to do with being a "possession " receiver. The guy who you want to get the ball to 3rd and medium and catches anything thrown his way. 

For sure, I was just giving typical traits. Washington could definitely play X, but the staff clearly prioritizes size at the position as well, with the Eagles take last cycle and possibly pushing for Lewis this cycle.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Isn’t this why we recruited Brennan Eagles?  I feel like people are sleeping on him at this point.

16 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

For sure, I was just giving typical traits. Washington could definitely play X, but the staff clearly prioritizes size at the position as well, with the Eagles take last cycle and possibly pushing for Lewis this cycle.

Thanks for this discussion..... Washington's WR traits remind me of Michael Irvin. 

Did Irvin line up at the X receiver spot??    (Insert Surly Irvin arrest jokes)