Brush with greatness

Jshep34

Had Jimmy Vaughan ask me to set his guitars in their stands on stage at the old Austin Opera House when I was 17.

Met Jimmy Page at the Four Seasons bar.

Had dinner with Ian McLagan after being seated at a table next to him and his wife. Leaned over to say hello and he asked us to join them.

3 hours ago, ulukinatme said:

I'll bet he was pretty good with the stick

3 hours ago, Angry Gorilla said:

Played pool with Ron Jeremy
Sat next to Herman Cain while playing blackjack.  He drank white wine the whole time.
Rode the elevator up with Urijah Fabor
Walked past Guy Fieri in airport
Met Durant in Northpark Mall when the Thunder were playing the Mavs in the playoffs

Pocket pool?

this is quite has-been, once spent a few minutes hanging out with Tone Loc and his posse in the Memphis airport (early 2000s) /csb 

Oh hell, I don't know how I forgot about this one. Hung out briefly with Bill Murray at Shangri La during SXSW several years ago. It was just my small group and him and a friend until word got out and it started getting crowded and he left. But he ended up returning later that night, long after we'd left, and started serving people drinks from behind the bar. There's videos of it on YouTube.

Edited by Art Vandelay

I worked at Milto's while in HS in 80s.  Met so many blues legends playing next door at Antone's. We'd be out smoking next to the dumpster at the end of our night as the bands where out there smoking before going on.  The funniest was Albert Collins busting my chops for, 'being the only tall skinny white boy in Austin that doesn't play the guitar.'  Every time he saw me there after he'd ask me if I had a guitar yet.  Antone's staff used to let me in the kitchen/dish room area and listen to the bands. I was in that kitchen the night before the raid. I had no idea all that weed was in there.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I worked at Milto's while in HS in 80s.  Met so many blues legends playing next door at Antone's. We'd be out smoking next to the dumpster at the end of our night as the bands where out there smoking before going on.  The funniest was Albert Collins busting my chops for, 'being the only tall skinny white boy in Austin that doesn't play the guitar.'  Every time he saw me there after he'd ask me if I had a guitar yet.  Antone's staff used to let me in the kitchen/dish room area and listen to the bands. I was in that kitchen the night before the raid. I had no idea all that weed was in there.

Legit csb

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Legit csb

First time I saw a roach/joint was at SRV's place off South Congress.  Paul Ray's son Jason lived with his mom and stepdad a couple houses down from us. Paul took Jason and I to some eco festival event at Zilker in the late 70s/early 80s. Afterwards we were at SRV's place for whatever Paul needed to see him for. I was 12-13 and SRV wasn't famous yet. This would have been around the Cobras era as I remember the Cobras poster in Jason's room but nothing about Paul's radio show at that point.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 2

Got pulled out of the audience, given lines, and sang with Don Ho at age 8.  Always wonder how the random girl's life turned out.

RB8YAoO.jpg

He gave me booze.

On a previous trip to Hawaii, I sat next to Jennifer Jones on the plane on the way home.  Talked her ear off.  Little kid.

Leaving a Houston Rodeo Concert in the mid 90s, a van pulled out of the Dome and Willie jumped out right as I was walking by.  Shook his bad assed hand. 

Sat next to Dusty from ZZ Top at Lizards Pub in Houston.  Bought him a drink when I woke up and figured out who the bearded dude next to me was.

Extended brush:

My half brother played with and managed the Moving Sidewalks, who rehearsed out by my Dad's pool for a while.  So a handshake away from Billy GIbbons.

The Moving Sidewalks opened for Hendrix in the late 60s.  My half brother got to hang out with Jimi backstage.  One time, I asked him what Jimi was like.  Stupid Question got a stupid answer:  "He was pretty cool."

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

Met Nick Faldo at the old practice area near the par 3 course at the Masters, he was waiting for his caddie and a buddy and I were just hanging out.  Visited for about fifteen minutes, good guy.

Played golf with Gary Player. Great guy. He had just received the letter from Augusta National that past winners were no longer going to have lifetime opportunity to play the tournament.  He was not happy.

My aunt and a singer she ran with was my baby sitter a couple of times when I was just a little guy, Elvis.

Went elk hunting with Bob Bullock.  He shot his out of a pickup.

1. Shot the shit with Earl Campbell for 10 minutes, standing outside a Copenhagen/Skoal rodeo in FW in early 80’s.....no one ever interrupted 

2. Me and a few friends shot the breeze with Dennis Rodman, in some hotel lobby in Austin, back in the late 90’s

3. Barry Switzer paid my bar tab at some hotel bar, on a Friday night TX/OU weekend. He was holding court.....hate OU, but he seems like a cool guy

4. Stood in line, directly in front of Roger Staubach, at a wedding reception buffet - I only had the nerve to say hello, nice to meet you

5.  Sat next to Jimmy Dean on a flight

6.  Met Johnny Lam Jones several times

Oh yeah, and I got to bullshit with Tony Hawk for about 10 min back in '98.  It was at the Austin Skate and Street festival or whatever.  The precursor to the X games.  I was working security at the halfpipe while the bike riders were competing. 

There were filming Willie's 60th Birthday celebration at the Communications Building and I managed to get in.  I rode the elevator up to the studio with BB King.  The doors opened and DKR was standing there talking with Don Was, Bob Dylan and Kris Kristofferson.  

14 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

First time I saw a roach/joint was at SRV's place off South Congress.  Paul Ray's son Jason lived with his mom and stepdad a couple houses down from us. Paul took Jason and I to some eco festival event at Zilker in the late 70s/early 80s. Afterwards we were at SRV's place for whatever Paul needed to see him for. I was 12-13 and SRV wasn't famous yet. This would have been around the Cobras era as I remember the Cobras poster in Jason's room but nothing about Paul's radio show at that point.

My Dad was in a band with Paul Ray back in the mid-60s in Dallas.  My Dad said SRV and Jimmy would show up and steal beers off their amps.  I thought that was complete bullshit.  When I was at UT, my Dad asked me to pass some old tapes of their band off to Paul so I had lunch with him at Threadgills.  Sure enough, Paul told the same story about SRV/Jimmy unprompted.  

So I guess that's my brush with a brush with greatness.  

Talked with George Brett at the San Antonio airport.  He was there to check on some prospect playing for the Missions.  We were both waiting on a flight to Tampa.

When one of our boys was little we ran into David Robinson at a restaurant.  Naturally he wanted an autograph but I redirected. David came by our table before he left,  talked with our son and signed an autograph.

Used to regularly run into Greg Popovich at Air Force Academy events.  I'd assist kids through the admissions process as an additional duty and after I retired from the Air Force.  

Have run into Cheryl Ladd several times at the Boerne HEB.  

Roger Clemens's early MLB manager had a kid at our school.  There was an auction in 1984 or so, and one of the items was a baseball clinic with him.  Having just watched the CWS, my dad walked up at the last minute and wrote in something like $500 and won.  We waited about two years until after he won the Cy Young award and cashed in.  He showed up, played ball with me and two of my buddies, and went to lunch with us.  Super nice.  Signed every piece of gear I owned.  Hook em.

• Like 1

Talked with George Brett at the San Antonio airport.  He was there to check on some prospect playing for the Missions.  We were both waiting on a flight to Tampa.
When one of our boys was little we ran into David Robinson at a restaurant.  Naturally he wanted an autograph but I redirected. David came by our table before he left,  talked with our son and signed an autograph.
Used to regularly run into Greg Popovich at Air Force Academy events.  I'd assist kids through the admissions process as an additional duty and after I retired from the Air Force.  

Is she still hot? She gave me special feelings in my pants early on.

11 hours ago, Watashi said:

David Robinson is on the short list of athletes who would be a pleasure to meet.  I think if you look closely, CLASS is wrinkled onto his forehead

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

can't leave us hanging...whatd you win?

Just $100.  He and his friends were at a table right next to me and my friends.  I was cheering for the Cowboys, our tables started talking to each other.  He and his friends were making ridiculous prop bets on all of the games.  He asked if I wanted to make it interesting, I laughed and said I probably didn't have enough to make it too interesting for him, so he suggested $100 and I took it.  Cowboys won on a last second field goal.  Most fun $100 I have ever made.

On 3/28/2018 at 6:14 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Holy shit. Reminds me that one night in the late 80's, drunk and high,  that we decided to frisbee a stack of plates out on to Guadalupe from Milto's patio. They put up some lattice shortly after. Good times. Sorry if you had to deal with us.

I was doing a press event at the MLB all-star game in philly (1996 or so). At the airport, I was waiting and waiting for my bag to arrive until it was just me and this old black guy and no more bags coming out. I started talking to him with the general “I guess they lost our shit” theme when I notice his hat said “Ernie Banks, Mr Cub.” We kept chatting while we did the paperwork for the luggage, when I got paged over the PA. The MLB Fan Fest was sending someone to pick me up. I asked Ernie if he wanted a ride and we went off to find the desk where the ride was waiting. We get there and my driver is Jay Johnstone. Jay and Ernie of course knew each other and they thought the whole thing was hilarious. 

The next day, Jay introduced me to pretty much everyone, Earl Weaver, Steve Carlton, Tommy Lasorda, etc and dragged me around with him all day. He sent Jim Gilliam off to find me a better ticket for the home run derby - which was an epic Bonds v McGuire. 

Fun times...

• Like 2

I hung out with Frank Beard one night at Dog track in Corpus.  Had to teach him how to bet, nice guy  

Pga golfer Patrick Reed , his wife and coach let us play through on a par 3 at The woodlands a few years ago..  They were standing on the green and waved us through,  I thought oh shit because I basically suck and shot was over water to a small green.   Hit the most pure shot of my life, landed about 21/2 foot from the cup and then promptly missed that birdie putt 

Was at Tim Brown's induction into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame and got to sit at his table (2005, iirc).  Met Augie Garrido at the event (he was also being inducted), RIP.

Was an usher at church on Ash Wednesday a few years ago and the brothers Harbaugh came in (NFL combine was taking place).  Talked to them for a short second and then helped them find a pew.  

Chatted with Les Miles at a juco football game when he was on the sideline scouting a QB - Zach Mettenberger.

Did a Sunday communion/scripture service for the Eagles when they couldn't find a priest to say Mass.  Stayed and ate dinner with the team afterwards.  Did not tell them I was a Cowboys fan - it was too unique of an experience to pass up. 

Edited by BlueGreySky

Met Aaron Paul this summer at a bar in New York when I was out with a buddy of mine who knows him.  Hung out for a while.  Very disappointed.  He was nothing like Jessie Pinkman.  Pretty much the opposite.  Really buttoned up and stuffy.  My buddy is pretty sure he’s trying really hard not to be typecast and wants to be taken seriously.  But it pretty much just translated into him sucking.

22 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

When I was in HS I worked as a cowboy for Charlie Pride at his feed lot in Hardesty, Ok. Saw him once from a distance.    

A guy I work with was in Charlie’s touring band for many years. I get lots of stories of thier golfing exploits. 

Tiffani-Amber Thiessen grabbed my ass at a wrap party. 

Gave restaurant recommendations to Ice Cube in the freight elevator at the Austin Convention Center during SXSW.

Might have been the same SXSW but also rode in the same elevator with Lou Reed. Total burnout - seemed like a dick.

Shot the shit with Dwayne Johnson at a Wrestlemania after party at the Hyatt in Houston.

Same Hyatt, found myself in an elevator with George W Bush and Rick Perry. 

Jeff Bezos bought me a drink.

Met Charles Schwab twice.  I'm friends with the Waterhouse family so I've vacationed at one of their summer houses.

Seen the following people in restaurants, bars or on the street.  Julianne Lewis, Sigourney Weaver, Quintin Taritino, Michael Rapaport, Sean Penn, Nicole Kidman, Pete Townsend, Lori Laughlin, Christy Turlington. 

Had breakfast at the table next to Jesse Tyler Ferguson of modern family and his husband. 

Been in a bar and at brunch with Chelsea Clinton.

Was checking into a dinner reservation next to Scott Ian of Anthrax. 

Rudy Guillianis' detail almost ran me over at a bar. 

Said hello to David Robinson going into a Lifetime fitness.  Tim Duncan was sitting next to me on a bench at a park where his daughters were playing with my kids. 

Walked up to Gabby Reese at a bar in Dallas.  Interrupted her in front of like 15 people, shook her hand and gave her the finger gun and walked away.

Got drunk with some young guy in Nashville who was apparently on the cover of teen magazine who was on the show Nashville.

Ill think of more

Ran into and talked with quite a few celebs in airports,... Danny Glover, Irv Cross, Lou Ferrigno. Met Tom Skerrit at the Sundance store in Seattle years ago. 

Back when the Mariners sucked greatly and played in the Kingdome, my buddy and I went to see them during a midweek game when they were playing the Yankees. There was hardly anyone in attendance due to both teams sucking at the time. We sat in left so that we could heckle future hall of famer (showboat) Ricky Henderson.  He struck out the first inning but Dave Valle missed the 3rd strike pitch, so he was able to get to first. He then got caught stealing second and when he came out to left during the bottom of the 1st, it was on. We proceeded to jab at him the whole game and he would occasionally put his hand to his ear as if he couldn't hear us. He went 0-4 at bat for the game with a K and a caught stealing. It was perfect for heckling him. Bottom of the 8th, I guess he had enough as he put his left hand behind his back and flipped us off. We then told him that the number one he just gave us was one point higher than his batting avg. for the day. While he did not turn around, he did tip his cap at the remark.

Shortly after he was traded to the A's and had a career surge, he was on the cover of SI and had a huge article about him and his turn around with Oakland........In the article was him saying how he never listened to or heard the fans jeering him. We knew better.

Phil Humber (tossed a perfect game for the White Sox in 2012 I think) was a neighbor of my parents.  Really cool guy and very down to earth.  He's out of baseball now.

Shot craps with Jerry Van Dyke on a cruise.  Hilarious guy.

Played poker at a buddy's house with Brandon Pettigrew (TE for the Lions).  I went to high school with him and played basketball with him in high school.  Very cool guy.