Brush with greatness

Jshep34

On 3/28/2018 at 10:11 PM, former alkie said:

1. Shot the shit with Earl Campbell for 10 minutes, standing outside a Copenhagen/Skoal rodeo in FW in early 80’s.....no one ever interrupted 

2. Me and a few friends shot the breeze with Dennis Rodman, in some hotel lobby in Austin, back in the late 90’s

3. Barry Switzer paid my bar tab at some hotel bar, on a Friday night TX/OU weekend. He was holding court.....hate OU, but he seems like a cool guy

4. Stood in line, directly in front of Roger Staubach, at a wedding reception buffet - I only had the nerve to say hello, nice to meet you

5.  Sat next to Jimmy Dean on a flight

6.  Met Johnny Lam Jones several times

W.T.F.???   Ban user delete account, nuke from orbit....

Edited by SHOOTER12

Saw National Treasure at Northwoods Theater in San Antonio with Tony Parker and Eva Longoria.  I think it was a holiday or during the summer or something, went with my dad and brother around lunch time and it was just us 3 and Tony and Eva in the whole theater.

Played in a golf tournament last year hosted by Bob Lily and Dat Nguyen.  They were riding out the course saying hello to everyone.  Of course when they got to us, I was hitting a really tough chip shot and had Bob Lilly just staring me down as I took my shot.  Luckily I had a pretty lucky shot and got a "nice shot son" from Lilly.  Dat seemed like a cool guy.

When I was a student at UT, Jackson Jeffcoat was on the team.  I worked at the call center calling alumni and parents for donations.  I was in the Texas Parents calling pool and ending up getting Jim Jeffcoat on the line.  He wasn't much of a talker but I just happened to be reading Boys Will Be Boys by Jeff Pearlman while I was at work and got on that call so that was pretty cool, I was just reading about the guy and all of a sudden I'm on the phone with him.

Hung out with Dug Pinnick of King's X at SXSW my freshman year at UT.  He was a super chill guy, he's the one who came up to me, not the other way around.  I played guitar at the time but expressed my interest in playing bass, he tried to offer me one of his but he's a lefty and I'm not.  Hung out with him at this festival for hours, smoked some funny stuff with him and his side project band he was playing with at the time, went over to Key Bar with him, he got me in since I was underage at the time.  We waited there well after 2 am, Snoop Dogg was playing at Emo's that night and his assistant or tour manager or something knew Dug and was supposed to pick us up.  Took him forever because he was securing some reefer for Snoop but he eventually came by and scooped us up and took me back to Jester. 

The next year at SXSW, me and my gf at the time were in the area and decided to go up to the Austin City Music Hall to watch the red carpet for the MTVU Woodie Awards.  We just kind of hung around for a few minutes after they started taking everything down and an employee with MTV came up to us about 5 minutes before the show was about to start and handed us VIP passes.  I sat right behind one of the guys from The Buried Life and chatted with him for a bit.  Later met Aziz Ansari in the hallway and got a picture with him, he was a real nice guy, seemed genuinely happy to meet a fan and take a picture.  

Ran into Jani Lane of Warrant at the airport about a year or so before he died. 

Saw Malik Rose at lunch 2 weeks ago but he was just there with his wife, didn't bother him or anything.

Ding dong ditched Bruce Bowen's house once, a buddy I used to play baseball with lived down the street from him in Sonterra in San Antonio. 

Priest Holmes used to go to my orthodontist, saw him in the office one time.

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

This will likely not come to fruition but I hope to brush up against Natalie Portman while she is in Austin this weekend.  

In the late 1990s a product I co-invented was nominated for a Discover (Magazine) Award, and they held the ceremony at Disney Epcot.  Natalie was also invited as a co-author of a science paper that got some "young scientist" attention.  She sat one row in front of me, a couple of feet off to my left.  At that point she was really starting to break into mainstream consciousness, with films like "Beautiful Girls" and "Phantom Menace" in her pocket.

She is absolutely stunning.  My (then) wife was not amused, but I spent the entire night just gawking at Natalie.  Her painting should be on a chapel ceiling.

37 minutes ago, midtown said:

Some of these brushes are like "I was at the mailbox the same time as the president of the HOA"  "Pretty cool guy"

I was once at the mailbox at the same time as our volleyball coach.  Then he got a raise and moved to a better neighborhood.  

I was in the golf industry in DFW for 20 years.  My list of people I've shaken hands with is:

Emmitt Smith, Tony Romo, Terry Glynn (RIP), Troy Aikman, Bryant Westbrook (right after he signed with the Cowboys), Spud Webb, Dennis Johnson (RIP), Kenny Rogers (Perfect Game), Brady Black (fiddler for Randy Rogers Band), Hunter Mahan, Trip, Hank & Kelli Kuehne,  Y.E. Yang, (beat Tiger in the PGA Champ), Anthony Mason (only time I've held an AMEX Black card), Oliver Miller, Jose Guzman, Homer Bush, Brittany Lincicome, Peter Gardere, Justin Leonard, Benji Gil (huge douche), Ian Kinsler (also a douche), and more that I'm probably forgetting.

I also once answered the golf shop phone and it was Pat Summerall on the other end.

17 minutes ago, Whatever said:

I was in the golf industry in DFW for 20 years.  My list of people I've shaken hands with is:

Emmitt Smith, Tony Romo, Terry Glynn (RIP), Troy Aikman, Bryant Westbrook (right after he signed with the Cowboys), Spud Webb, Dennis Johnson (RIP), Kenny Rogers (Perfect Game), Brady Black (fiddler for Randy Rogers Band), Hunter Mahan, Trip, Hank & Kelli Kuehne,  Y.E. Yang, (beat Tiger in the PGA Champ), Anthony Mason (only time I've held an AMEX Black card), Oliver Miller, Jose Guzman, Homer Bush, Brittany Lincicome, Peter Gardere, Justin Leonard, Benji Gil (huge douche), Ian Kinsler (also a douche), and more that I'm probably forgetting.

I also once answered the golf shop phone and it was Pat Summerall on the other end.

Lulz

I bet we have an mutual friend. Worked for Adidas TM for a long while. Guy named Matt S.?

Was in the Bahamas for a wedding once when a charity golf game was going on at the same time.  Got a picture with Mugsy Boages while he was high as hell outside the local pharmacy and  drank in the bar with Too Tall Jones and other old cowboys but was too drunk to know the others cause I’m not a cowboy fan.  

Did catering on the weekends when I moved out to Northen California after I guaduated from college for a job cause I didn’t know anyone and knew someone who working for them and had nothing better to do..  So I served shooter McGavin till he was asked to leave at the same event, also served at that party Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Cheech, The Smothers Brothers and a few more lower level celebs,  all were nice.  Did other events with Jane Seymour (was still hot) and was really nice.  Worked at the Doubie Brothers winery a lot and when they were there they always very nice.  

8 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Was in the Bahamas for a wedding once when a charity golf game was going on at the same time.  Got a picture with Mugsy Boages while he was high as hell outside the local pharmacy and  drank in the bar with Too Tall Jones and other old cowboys but was too drunk to know the others cause I’m not a cowboy fan.  

From one end of the spectrum to the other.

I shared a table in an crowded walk up mexican "restaurant" in the Albuquerque Airport with Cheech Marin.

He asked if he could sit on the other half of the table.  I said sure without really looking at him.  

After a couple min I look him dead in the eye and halfway started with, "Your...." and he cut me off with a nod.

Obviously he didn't want to be bothered so I left it at that.  Quietly told him I am a fan as I left the table.

4 hours ago, Whatever said:

Yeah Oliver Miller was very weird. He referred to himself as "The Big O." He gave me the creeps.

Probably shouldn't be on any "greatness" list so fuck me.

I’ve met Roger Clemens twice, and one of the times he referred to himself as The Rocket. Was probably drunk, but I don’t think he was doing it to be funny.

• Like 1

Bob Lily used to frequent a restaurant my sister managed. From all reports he is a raging asshole, and treated the staff like absolute shit. Would pull the , "Do you know who I am?" bullshit, to which a 19 year old waiter would say, "Uh, no". 

Met Beto at Cenote on Cameron Rd. back in April. Cool guy. 

Edited by MissingInAction

Conway Twitty at the Dodge House in Houston

Ronnie Sox of Sox and Martin Drag racing fame.  Got to take a spin in one of their cars down Waco Dr.  

Willie Nelson at the Denny's in Waco.  Ex Brother-in-law was a roadie for Willie.  Their (ex-BIL, ex-wife) uncle played steel guitar for Ray Price.

Barry Sanders at Reunion Arena

Art Mann checking into a hotel in Denton.

Kim Wilson at Huts

Jimmy Vaughan at Shady Grove

Edited by BonzoMontreaux

Not me, I was inside during the monsoon, didnt get home from work until 6:30p 

You’ve got a doppelgänger in the hood then. We got home just before it started. We were under a tornado warning and had some kids come through on a trailer trick or treating. The lady was like “I guess we should head back”.

I volunteered for a film festival in college and ended up driving Sam Elliot around town for 2 days.  He was very laid back and cool to me.  Most of the time it was just him and me, including a great breakfast at the Driskill.  When I dropped him off at the airport he shook my hand and gave me a hug and told me to keep fighting the good fight.  It was awesome.

• Like 2

I volunteered for a film festival in college and ended up driving Sam Elliot around town for 2 days.  He was very laid back and cool to me.  Most of the time it was just him and me, including a great breakfast at the Driskill.  When I dropped him off at the airport he shook my hand and gave me a hug and told me to keep fighting the good fight.  It was awesome.
That's bad ass. He's always seemed like a great guy to me. And I love his role in Lebowski.

As a toddler ran naked out of the bathroom into Bob Hope at Honolulu airport. Dad was flying in for R&R during first tour in Vietnam.

Gave a ride to Matt “guitar” Murphy from old Austin airport to Antones on the drag. Had dinner with him before his set. He was really cool.

Attempted to talk Kim Basinger to skip out on filming for the day and hang. She was in town filming Nadine and was just walking down the street in Hyde Park. She’s tiny. Hot.

Talked to Earl while waiting in line early one morning for tickets to a game. He was an advisor in the athletic dept at that time.

Rode an elevator with Owen Wilson at the Four Seasons.

Meet Dennis Quad numerous times. He owned the property next to my FIL on Lake Austin. Was always over at their house.

Meet Jimmy Vaughn. He’s a classic car guy and he liked my FIL’s 40 Ford Coupe (think American Graffiti) so he and my FIL would hang out and talk cars at the house.

Literally ran into Bill Gates in Vegas at one of those big tech conventions. He and Balmer. They both looked like they Hadn’t bathed in weeks.

Stood in line next to Tommy Shaw catching a flight to Hartford.