Official Surly - Texas at OK State Game Thread

Vertigo

12 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Why shouldn’t that have been a loss?

The refs didn’t allow the opposing teams QB seal the game on those two huge run plays.  I’d understand if their QB was a true dual threat.

The refs didn’t help however the defense was constantly out of position, so many instances of poor tackling, and very little pressure by our D-line. As for the offense there were too many dropped passes & we couldn’t run the football well. 

The refs definitely didn’t help us but we played piss poor.

22 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Lol no. Jones will start every game he’s at Texas healthy. He’s been dang good in run support, solid in the return game when he’s been asked and average in coverage. He’s not getting benched.

He’s done decent in run support when he takes good angles(That’s rare but luckily he likes to hit, so he’s a hard arm tackle to break). Done good in return game agreed. IMO he’s been below average in coverage and that’s not going to cut it. 

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I do hate Okie States stadium.   There should be some standard set by the  NCAA about how close the stands can be to the actual playing area.  I guess it will take Okie State losing a Barry Sanders like player with him  getting clocked and losing him for a season or forever  by their own nonsense for them to change it?

Considering our stadium has allways been that way and (to my knowledge) no such injuries have happened, I think it's nothing to worry about. OU has about the same set up at their staduim, but I don't expect you to know that, as you don't play there.

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

To be fair about the bad calls....OSU should have had a safety on that holding call in the end zone. That would have ended the game a lot sooner. 

Agree it shoulda been safety  

Disagree on it being an ender, we give up a safety and go down 5. Aussie, who has been totally forgotten in last nights performance, was pretty damn great. He gets a free kick to boom one and they don't get a 40 yd field. Their O hadn't scored a point all half. If D gets one more stand we get ball on our own 30 down 5 with a few min left. 

Edited by bluto

4 hours ago, XYZ said:

About the onside kick, I don’t think it was a bad decision. It was executed in a way that gave us zero chance to recover the ball. Either way, your defense has to force a three-and-out, and they didn’t. The outcome would have been the same with a long kickoff. I think it was the USC teams under Carrol that did these kickoffs that were high and short, and often their kickoff coverage guys got dangerously close to making the catch. I don’t understand why teams don’t do that more often. Maybe it’s very difficult to kick the ball high and short, I don’t know. But what Dicker did last night would never work.

My 2 cents. The idea of an onside kick was not a bad one. The fact that you had a kicker with very little to no experience, and a high pressure situation, would have said kick it long and in the end zone. 

1 hour ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

Top 2 Reasons for the loss

#1 Wallace the destroyer

#2 3rd and 4th down defense

Yeah, no. Top 2 reasons for the loss were:

1. Boyd and Davis being out the first quarter. 

2. The team's (coaches included) not taking their opponent seriously. Aka playing too hard. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EastTexan said:

Looked like ref realized he made a fucked up holding call, and to make it up, said it was not in the end zone.

exactly. it was a BS call. the guy was not held.  the interesting thing is a safety might have actually helped us.

5 hours ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

It was a complete BS call.  It sucked the momentum completely out of our D after a big stop.  It was a huge missed call and game changer.  This is not a hill worth dying on.  

this.  we should jus t start having our guards move sideways before the snap next game and see what happens.  we can go all the way down the field with 5 yard penalties.

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this.  we should jus t start having our guards move sideways before the snap next game and see what happens.  we can go all the way down the field with 5 yard penalties.

Their entire team was in motion before the snap...offsides, Texas.  Guess OSU has been practicing how to sell calls by all clapping in unison.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Yeah, no. Top 2 reasons for the loss were:

1. Boyd and Davis being out the first quarter. 

2. The team's (coaches included) not taking their opponent seriously. Aka playing too hard. 

Clock management and play calling were horrendous, too, especially at the end.

Let's see, we are down two scores with six minutes to go...yep, let's catch the ball inside the five and then run a clock-killing four minute drive for a touchdown.

Whole lot of cranial-rectal syndrome on display in this game.  Oh well.  On to the next one.

Edited by orangebird

Quick question to anyone else at the game yesterday, did you get carded twice for beer? Every stand I went to carded me twice. I was annoying at one guy and told him I already showed it to him what's the big deal and he said "I'm just doing it to keep you and me out of trouble". Is this a new OK law or something?

Not blaming on refs. We totally pissed and shit down our leg in the first quarter and half. But Jesus it feels like now 3 years in a row that whenever we play okie state the officials and officiating is just bottom of the barrel. Weird that it always seems to be okie state game. 

You forget k-state already?

23 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I thought you could only have 4 guys shift at once anyway.

Technically, anyone not with their hand on the ground can legally shift.  But if a covered lineman moves and draws the defense offsides, it is a false start, which is exactly what happened.

Likewise, running forward from the backfield cannot draw the defense offsides or that is a false start.

These shifts aren't illegal in themselves unless the ball is snapped, but drawing the defense offsides with them is illegal, and it's not a subjective call.

Edited by JBJ

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

Technically, anyone not with their hand on the ground can legally shift.  But if a covered lineman moves and draws the defense offsides, it is a false start, which is exactly what happened.

Likewise, running forward from the backfield cannot draw the defense offsides or that is a false start.

These shifts aren't illegal in themselves unless the ball is snapped, but drawing the defense offsides with them is illegal, and it's not a subjective call.

It seems to me that there's a long-standing tradition that if you have a trick play, you have to clear it with the refs before the game, and I'll bet that is what OU-Stilley did. And that just makes the refs' failure to penalize OSU that much more egregious.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

Here's the actual language from the NCAA Rulebook:

Shift and False Start:
b. False Start.

Each of the following is a false start by Team A if it occurs prior to the snap after the ball is ready for play and all players are in

scrimmage formation:

1. Any movement by one or more players that simulates the start of a play.
  2. The snapper moving to another position.
  3. A restricted lineman (Rule 2-27-4) moving his hand(s) or making any quick movement. [Exceptions: 1. It is not a false start if a Team A lineman immediately reacts when threatened by a Team B player in the neutral zone (Rule 7-1-5-a-2) (A.R. 7-1-3-V) 2. Rule 7-1-3-a-3].
  4. An offensive player making any quick, jerky movement before the snap, including but not limited to:

(a) A lineman moving his foot, shoulder, arm, body or head in a quick, jerky motion in any direction.
                (b) The snapper shifting or moving the ball, moving his thumb or fingers, flexing his elbows, jerking his head, or dipping his shoulders or buttocks.
                (c) The quarterback making any quick, jerky movement that simulates the beginning of a play.
               (d) A back simulating receiving the ball by making any quick, jerky  movement that simulates the beginning of a play.

Gundy’s punt shift appears to violate both (b)(1) and (b)(4)(a). 

It's also worth noting that the rulebook has a rule on "Coaching Ethics" that says:

Coaching Ethics
Deliberately teaching players to violate the rules is indefensible. The coaching of intentional holding, beating the ball, illegal shifting, feigning injury, interference, illegal forward passing or intentional roughing will break down rather than aid in the building of the character of players. Such instruction is not only unfair to one’s opponent but is demoralizing to the players entrusted to a coach’s care and has no place in a game that is an integral part of an educational program. The following are unethical practices:

. . .
f. Shifting in a way that simulates the start of a play or employing any other unfair tactic for the purpose of drawing one’s opponent offside. This can be construed only as a deliberate attempt to gain an unmerited advantage

Even if Gundy "cleared it" with the refs beforehand, I don't see how the trick play doesn't violate the spirit of this rule.

7 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

It seems to me that there's a long-standing tradition that if you have a trick play, you have to clear it with the refs before the game, and I'll bet that is what OU-Stilley did. And that just makes the refs' failure to penalize OSU that much more egregious.

The NYG used to have a defensive line call that simulated the Cowboy's quick snap call.  They warned the refs beforehand, but still got called for two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties during the game.

They bitched about it after the game and the league response was that telling the refs you are going to commit a penalty before the game doesn't change the rulebook.

That's the way it should be handled.

On 10/28/2018 at 12:42 PM, OU Sucks said:

Their entire team was in motion before the snap...offsides, Texas.  Guess OSU has been practicing how to sell calls by all clapping in unison.

The is one of the most indefensible calls I've seen in a long time.  Amazing.  Not gonna say the refs have it out for us, just that it's hard to have faith in the game and expect justice when so many calls are missed to egregiously.  

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 1

The is one of the most indefensible calls I've seen in a long time.  Amazing.  Not gonna say the refs have it out for us, just that it's hard to have faith in the game and expect justice when so many calls are missed to egregiously.  

Why not? Looks like a duck, has feathers, flies, quacks like a duck, has the DNA of a duck....
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JBJ said:

Just now noticing....on the 4th and 1 TD play they were using an unbalanced set and the TE who caught the pass was ineligible.

giphy.gif

Just something else to bitch about.

Is 87 on the line or off the line?  Looks like 87 is lined up "in the backfield," which makes both 89 and 87 eligible.

6 minutes ago, JBJ said:

@0:42 if auto-start doesn't work.

Helmet pretty clearly in front of center.

Yep.  Optically, he looks like he's "off" the line, so I can see why it wasn't called.  But you're absolutely right that he is technically on the line of scrimmage.

• immamac unfeatured this topic

Sorry for posting this late but it's a tradition for me and I'm always interested to read the relevant stat lines and see if it tells a story about the game that I may have missed while I watched it.
Going into the game, this is the first game we've played that I had a terrible feeling about. I had a feeling we would lose. 
Looking at the stats, it's apparent that our defense was just abused by Cornelius, Wallace, Hill, and Gundy. Allowing 502 yards of offense without any takeaways isn't a recipe for success. The TOP also surprised me. It's the first game where we haven't controlled the pace of the game.

Final Score:

L 35-38

First Downs:
Texas – 24
OSU – 27

Third Down Conversions
Texas – 5-12
OSU – 10-20

Total Yards:
Texas - 402
OSU - 502

Passing: