Please recommend a cheap acoustic

Lhorn

Looking for a cheap acoustic or electric acoustic. I’d like to stay below two fiddy. I know that’s a restrictive price point but first and foremost I’m a terrible player and second I have decent electrics so this will be a tertiary guitar.  Noodling around at GC I really liked the sound of the Yamaha fx335. That’ll be my default unless you guys can recommend one better.  I’d like to buy from GC so o can compare. The Yamaha is on sale now for $199. I’d rather buy new than trolling CL not knowing what I’m looking at and dealing with CL flakes 

thanks gents 

Yamaha makes some really good inexpensive acoustics. But you really have to play them and pick out the good ones. If you order one it's a crapshoot.

I recently played on an Oscar Schmidt in a pawn shop that was pretty impressive, even had some nice inlays and binding and stuff along with the great sound and playability. You just gotta look around.

14 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Looking for a cheap acoustic or electric acoustic. I’d like to stay below two fiddy. I know that’s a restrictive price point but first and foremost I’m a terrible player and second I have decent electrics so this will be a tertiary guitar.  Noodling around at GC I really liked the sound of the Yamaha fx335. That’ll be my default unless you guys can recommend one better.  I’d like to buy from GC so o can compare. The Yamaha is on sale now for $199. I’d rather buy new than trolling CL not knowing what I’m looking at and dealing with CL flakes 

thanks gents 

You just answered your own question.

I bought Yamahas up until my brother essentially gave me his Martin and they were always great.

Thanks. I’m glad to know that the Yamaha are well regarded. I know I liked the sound but I am not knowledgeable enough to know if there isn’t something better in the price range. I’ll pick it up before the sale ends. 

Thanks

Edited by Lhorn

You seem unclear on the concept.

Is this some sort of attempt at an Okie Lite humblebrag?

Lmao! A little salty ab the game? Just one man’s opinion. Thought the music board was one place free of snark except for turribad music opinions. Duly noted. If I wanted to humble brag I’d post a pic of my Les Paul again Chad Fuckhead.

“You get what you pay for, and baby it’s free...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, OkieLite Fan said:

Lmao! A little salty ab the game? Just one man’s opinion. Thought the music board was one place free of snark except for turribad music opinions. Duly noted. If I wanted to humble brag I’d post a pic of my Les Paul again Chad Fuckhead.

“You get what you pay for, and baby it’s free...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God no.  There's plenty of snark to go around here.   Surly gonna surl man.

Don't get your fee-fees hurt when you get called out for telling a guy who wants to spend $200 "hey, for a few hundred more go get you a ...."  THAT was the asshole move here.  It's why your butt is hurting, not mine.  

God no.  There's plenty of snark to go around here.   Surly gonna surl man.
Don't get your fee-fees hurt when you get called out for telling a guy who wants to spend $200 "hey, for a few hundred more go get you a ...."  THAT was the asshole move here.  It's why your butt is hurting, not mine.  

My butt ain’t hurting. He even said, “I’d LIKE to stay below $250.” Since I didn’t detect an imminent need for a show or anything given he said it would be only a tertiary guitar, thought he could might wait and save from a couple more paychecks or something. Was only trying to be helpful.

Anyway, I hope you have a great day :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just now, OkieLite Fan said:

My butt ain’t hurting. He even said, “I’d LIKE to stay below $250.” Since I didn’t detect an imminent need for a show or anything given he said it would be only a tertiary guitar, thought he could might wait and save from a couple more paychecks or something. Was only trying to be helpful.

Anyway, I hope you have a great day :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know, and I'm just having my coffee and providing Surl with some morning snark.

Post some guitar pics over on the other thread and we'll just move on down the road.  Sallgood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gasman said:

See what GC has available in their used section. You may find a Seagull S6 or another gem sitting around your $250 mark. 

the Seagull S6 should be what you're looking for.  go into a GC and play one.  i love their sound, really similar to a larivee.  new, they're way above your $250 target but there are a lot of used S6s that go for sale in Austin right around $250. 

But he wants new.  I agree -- Yamaha.  I own a slightly more expensive Yamaha acoustic-electric and while it doesn't come close to my Taylor or my Guild, it does something they can't -- it plugs into a PA.  It's well built, looks good, plays decent, and sounds "OK".  You get what you pay for.

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

But he wants new.  I agree -- Yamaha.  I own a slightly more expensive Yamaha acoustic-electric and while it doesn't come close to my Taylor or my Guild, it does something they can't -- it plugs into a PA.  It's well built, looks good, plays decent, and sounds "OK".  You get what you pay for.

I thought the "new" was just to avoid CL issues. You are right that Yamaha would likely be the best "new" option. However, it seems like every GC has a couple of barely touched used S6's ripe for the picking. Now, if he was willing to wait a month for Black Friday deals.... but once new guitar fever hits, waiting is usually an impossibility. 

• 2 weeks later...

I learned to play on a Takemine G240.   Just a fantastic guitar for the price and though I now also own Martins, I will still pick this one up now and then and even take it out without fear of banging it up.  Don't be afraid to try different strings too.  I use Ultra Lights because I have wimpy ass hands and fingers and like the sound of them.   

Also, If you aren't thrilled with the sound of that Yamaha, have you considered looking at a good used guitar.  Tons of guitars are bought for junior or some douche thinking he's going to impress girls, and then after 6 months are put aside just to be sold later.  The key is to go play some/several and see what you like for feel and sound.   For some reason, I don't like Taylors and would rather play a Takemine.  I love the sound of Martins and will always have mine and maybe someday even more.  

The guitar is a birthday present from the wife that I'll be picking up from GS.  Went a couple of times and played with some guitars.  I decided there was no reason to get an electric acoustic.  I think it's coming down to a Yamaha (either FS800 or FG800) and the Fender CD60S.  I thought they both played well and sounded good for the price point.  Both are solid top guitars.  I'm leaning towards the Fender because of it's sexy - all mahogany.   Probably picking it up on Tuesday.   Very excited. 

• Like 2