Water Damage, Insurance Claim

First of all, have never had to file on my homeowner's insurance for any reason. I guess I've been lucky all my adult life. However, last Sunday our water heater sprung a leak while I was at church in the Overflow pan of course overflowed and soaked the carpeting in the hallway and part of the master bedroom. After draining the Overflow pan and monitoring the hot water heater I did not see any further leaks. I initially figured the pop-off valve may have malfunctioned. Monday morning Mrs. Shooter called and hysterics because sometime during the night the water heater started leaking again and we had water running clear out the back porch under the logs in the utility room, it re-soaked the carpet even in a bigger area.

The service people finally made it out Friday and remove the whole way carpeting and a large Square in the master bedroom and living room.  I told them don't tell me that's the only thing they're going to replace, putting new carpet next to the older carpet is going to look like pure hell. The manager with the service company said they will probably replace all of it but who knows it varies insurance company to Insurance Company. The water damage also damage the counters and lower cabinets at the mud sink in the utility room and also saturated the water heater closet.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? In my mind if they have fast patch it in places it's going to look worse than it did beforehand. Any thoughts or guidance is much appreciated.

16 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

So, you had a water heater leak, and you left it under pressure to leak again later?

Nope, water supply was cut off, pressure released, thought I had completely drained it after water stopped accumulating in drain pan...oops, wrong again.

29 minutes ago, Kilgorehorn said:

You need to contact your insurance company before any repairs are made.

Reasonable repairs and expenditures can be made to mitigate further damage.  Only accept and keep itemized invoices for all mitigation work prior to claims adjustor.

On 10/29/2018 at 2:59 PM, Bernard said:

I expect they would replace all the carpet attached to the damaged carpet, not just the damaged area. My mom had a fridge leak that damaged wood floors in a rather small area. Amica paid for new wood floors on her entire first floor.

Bernard

That's what I keep hearing from the service companies that dried everything out, but it seems like it's taking a long time to hear back from insurance company with estimates.

On 10/29/2018 at 3:19 PM, Hate said:

Bernard is correct. They may stop at a door if there is a threshold present, but they will replace all of the carpet continuously connected to the damaged part.

The service company made that point that there were not any thresholds.  Also, they removed the hallway carpet that was in the worst shape and you can see where the water stains go up under the remaining carpet in all directions, i.e. bedroom, living room, dining room.

On 10/29/2018 at 3:35 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

That would be some exceptionally shitty insurance if they only replaced a patch of carpet.

It's The Hartford, anyone have any experience with them?

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

seems like it's taking a long time to hear back from insurance company with estimates

Ge your own estimate and give it to the insurance company. Go pick out some new carpet and get a fully installed price. That way as soon the insurance company is ready, you’ll be armed with real data for the discussion. 

Bernard