Moving to Chicago

UTEX90

My daughter (no pics) is going to graduate in May and has been offered a job in Chicago.  She is super confused about whether or not to accept the offer.  It is a fair starting salary for Houston, Austin, or Dallas but I am concerned about the cost of living in Chicago as well as safety of a 22 year old moving north to a new city without knowing a soul.  I am also not happy about the prospect of her being so far away but I guess we have to let them find their own way.  I am certain she will get homesick but I want her to make her own decisions.

I had never been to Chicago but went for 5 days this summer as a tourist.  The weather was perfect every day we were there which I hear is a rarity.  I had a blast other than being berated by some little shits on the subway but other than that I felt safe and the city was really nice. 

I would love any input from someone who has lived in the city can give me.

Chicago is a great city.  As far as the job, the most important consideration for young people is are they getting valuable experience?  Future success is entirely dependent on developing an experience base that makes you a more attractive candidate for future, higher-paying opportunities.  Cost of living is going to be a challenge in any major metro.  And safety is just a matter of being smart.  You have done your job.  You got her through college.  Now it is her time to make her own way.  And you need to let that happen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Chicago is awesome.  It's also really cold in the winter.  But it's awesome.  I lived there on and off for years, and found it to be full of friendly, engaging people.  There are parts of the city you should avoid, same as everywhere.  Other than that, it has amazing food, horrible traffic, and either great or shitty weather.  (Sounds like Austin, right?)

There are TONS of "ex-pat" (various cities and regions) places to hang out and meet people who you might have something in common with.

Cost of living should be ~ 25% higher than most Texas metro areas:

Cost of living

Lived in Chicago 50% of the year for almost four years.   Summer is great, but it will be cold as balls when the winter hits.  Think hypothermia warnings as part of the daily forecast.  It's a fantastic city to meet people as well.  Most are pretty friendly and most her age will be expats as well.  Pretty much anywhere on the north side of town will be fine as far as where she's living is concerned.   Pretty much anywhere in this area will be perfectly safe, connected to the rail lines to get you into downtown, and can also get you to both O'hare and Midway in about 40-60 mins.  Attached a screenshot of a map including neighborhoods for reference.

imgur

As far as cost of living is concerned, it can be a bit misleading.  You don't really need to drive anywhere in Chicago due to the rail system being as comprehensive as it is.  Most people do a ton of walking there.  There isn't really a need for a car.  It's more of nice to have - and usually you have to have a rental with parking including or you can wind up paying someone else to park in front of your own place.  

Groceries really aren't that different either.  Jewell's is about the size of a small HEB and will have everything she needs.  If you want to be a big help to her, get her a down coat and some winter boots.  Everyone there has a down north face and sorrels for a good reason.  Tell her to check out wicker park, bucktown, lakeview and lincoln park for people her age.  If she want's something quieter and more chill Roscoe Village is a nice spot to be.  It's where most of the athletes from Chicago teams live if they're not out in the burbs.  River North is full of the 40k millionaires but has a decent food and bar scene.  

Three dots and a dash is a great tiki bar in the basement of a building there and has drinks that will fuck you up three ways from Sunday.  The aviary is overrated.  Sushi is generally pretty good.  Water house on Sundays is great for build your own bloody's and football crowds.  Depending on her budget, I can send you some specific buildings that I know are in nice areas and have decent amenities from friends who are still there.

Chicago is a great city all around.  She should be pumped.

PS.  Her uber bill might get retarded high but it's still cheaper than cabs.

PSS.  It's only about 2.5 hour flight there and a 2 hour flight back via southwest and tickets can be dirt cheap.  $99 each way unless it's the summer.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

Also, hopefully the job is in a good location. Find an apartment with convenient public transportation to the office. My GF had a bus right across the street from her building that took her downtown to the office in no time. Lose the car. Uber around town. Rent a car for road trips. 

Bernard

My experience there was 20+ years ago.  I lived there for two winters and then moved back south. 

The sun schedule is about opposite as it is in Texas(lots fewer basic sunny days) which means lots of gloomy overcast days.  The elbow seasons from fall to winter and from winter to spring are not only cold but wet.  Think lots of overcast mid 30's , or low 40's, days with rain and don't forget the wind off the lake.  Winter also runs into late April at best.  While summer ends in August.  

I took a Mexico vacation one of the winters and left the city which was below zero, negative 60+ wind chill, to hit the beach at 80+ degrees.  

I had an old car and paid for parking.  Took the express bus downtown to then walk about a .5 miles to get to work.  I was just off the lake so the "El" wasn't close enough.  

Summers were awesome and the times it wasn't raining in the indian summer of Fall were nice.  Had a girlfriend at the time who lived in the North suburbs which is why the car was nice to have and worth the hassle.  Gas was quite a bit more expensive in the city.

If your daughter is a Texas 6 she will be a Chicago 10 for the most part but there were the diamond in the rough hot women.  

Lots of Notre Dame fans, Big 10 rules as well and Chicago pro teams are always being discussed of course.  Great museums and Rush and Division streets were full of bars, etc.

My job wasn't bringing in enough to justify staying through the brutal winters.  If she can navigate the cold and is making a decent wage to pay for some extras it could be a good experience.  

Edited by zork

27 year old son moved to Chicago from Dallas a year and a half ago for a job. He loves it. He chooses to have no car but gets around with no problem using the L, taxis, or uber. He lives in the heart of the city and feels very safe. He can walk to great food or entertainment. We helped him move in and are going there for thanksgiving. I can totally see why he likes it. It's a great place for someone his, and your daughter's age.  

50 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

27 year old son moved to Chicago from Dallas a year and a half ago for a job. He loves it. He chooses to have no car but gets around with no problem using the L, taxis, or uber. He lives in the heart of the city and feels very safe. He can walk to great food or entertainment. We helped him move in and are going there for thanksgiving. I can totally see why he likes it. It's a great place for someone his, and your daughter's age.  

Just got back from visiting my sister in law who just moved there about a year ago.  Pretty much same story, lives near Navy Pier and got rid of her car and loves it.  Moved there knowing maybe 2 people but has made multiple friends through work, events at her building and even a Texas Exes event.  Thought she’d go and come back in a few years but now isn’t so sure because she’s enjoying it far more than she anticipated.

11 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Lived in Chicago 50% of the year for almost four years.   Summer is great, but it will be cold as balls when the winter hits.  Think hypothermia warnings as part of the daily forecast.  It's a fantastic city to meet people as well.  Most are pretty friendly and most her age will be expats as well.  Pretty much anywhere on the north side of town will be fine as far as where she's living is concerned.   Pretty much anywhere in this area will be perfectly safe, connected to the rail lines to get you into downtown, and can also get you to both O'hare and Midway in about 40-60 mins.  Attached a screenshot of a map including neighborhoods for reference.

why not norridge or harwood heights?

• 3 years later...