Durango,CO

millhouse

Alright, I'm using my first post on the new board for this so y'all better not disappoint. I've got two more days here, so give me your best. So far, I have ran the Animas River Trail, hit up Carver, Steamworks and Ska, and walked in downtown a bit.

Tomorrow we're taking the little one to feed the fish at the hatchery, going to one of the parks by the river for her and then going to Animas Brewery. What else ya got? 

Mesa verde was cool, but the tours are guided and fill up quickly.

Train to Silverton had a lot of pretty views, but damn was that a beating!  Way too long!

We did 4 corners, Mesa verde, hiking and fishing when we were there a couple of year's ago, but it was August.

Watch out for bears.  They'll be waking up and hungry.

Pizza at the Old School House was pretty cool.  Great pizza, good beer and a pool table.

I like the Old Schoolhouse Cafe. Pizza is good and it has a nice dive environment that's good after a day of skiing.

The Sow's Ear is a steakhouse with a little more upscale dining, located just south of Purgatory. We ate there a couple years ago based on the recommendation of RockyMountainHighHorn on the old board. It was solid.

All the breweries were great, but I think I liked Brew best.  

Durango Diner for breakfast.  Oscar's is also good.

The Western show at the Strater is corny but entertaining, depending on how old your kid is.  The bar there is cool, too.

The lower Animas rafting is meh.  For the same price I got half-day private kayak lessons for me and my boys at 4 Corners, much more fun.

Great town, enjoy!

Lady Falconburghs (sp?)  is a good bar in a basement somewhere on Main Street. 

There’s also glider rides from the grass strip on the way to Purgatory. 

As mentioned before the narrow gauge train ride is amazing and beautiful and WAY too fucking long. Once you get to Silverton it’s a Branson-ish tourist trap. 

• 3 weeks later...

The crepe food cart on Main Ave downtown is absolutely fantastic. I was skeptical because crepes aren't high on my list but if you happen to be there at a time when the french owner-chef is cranking 'em out, it's well worth a stop.  Michel's, I think. Old french guy. 

Yea. Try that with a 2 year old. I wanted to jump off. A fucking beating

Depends on how you do it. We rode it for our honeymoon. Took the Taft presidential car. Had champagne and our own waiter bringing us drinks. But I guess both of us traveled a lot on trains in Europe so this seemed rather short (sorry, humble brag).

On 3/27/2018 at 9:14 PM, Damor said:

The lower Animas rafting is meh.  For the same price I got half-day private kayak lessons for me and my boys at 4 Corners, much more fun.

Great town, enjoy!

Rafting is very dependent on snowfall that winter and where in the melt cycle you are. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Hmmm. Yea that makes sense, how often do flights get canceled for weather reasons?  Do you have a good handle on that? 

No idea.  But Durango sits on the edge of the mountains, so I bet unless a monster storm hits, it's pretty safe for flights in/out.  

On 4/18/2018 at 8:08 AM, Johnny Chimpo said:

Hmmm. Yea that makes sense, how often do flights get canceled for weather reasons?  Do you have a good handle on that? 

Often enough to be inconvenient if your schedule isn't flexible. You're dependent on both Durango and Denver airports. 

Edited by Chopper

• 1 month later...

Durango is currently on fire.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/nation-and-world/colorado-wildfire-rages-near-durango-as-firefighters-gain-on-new-mexico-blaze-20180605

Hot weather was expected to stoke an unchecked wildfire in southern Colorado on Tuesday that forced the evacuation of hundreds of homes.

The blaze, dubbed the 416 Fire, spread across some 2,400 acres early on Tuesday near Durango, Colorado, where the temperature was expected to reach into the high 80s.

The fire, which began on Friday, was just 10 percent contained on Tuesday morning, as about 825 homes remained under evacuation, officials said.

“In the coming days the fire is expected to burn actively,” the U.S. Forest Service said in an alert. “Firefighters will continue building defensible spaces around homes and structures.”

About 250 miles (400 km) to southeast, 1,110 residents of Cimarron, New Mexico were allowed back into their homes after showers on Sunday helped quell part of a separate blaze, the Ute Park Fire, which burned 36,000 acres (14,569 hectares) of drought-parched grassland and timber since erupting on Thursday.

Cimarron, a frontier-style town, lies about 140 miles (225 km) northeast of Albuquerque, the state’s largest city. Ute Park is about 10 miles (16 km) west of Cimarron.

By early Tuesday, fire crews had managed to carve containment lines around 25 percent of the blaze, up from zero containment on Sunday morning.

On 4/17/2018 at 2:03 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Rafting is very dependent on snowfall that winter and where in the melt cycle you are. 

Yeah it was pretty un-meh when we did it about 3 years ago.

They made our two boys, then 9 & 11, get out at the park & then get back in after. We hit that big eddy right as you enter the park. It was behind me & it was like hitting a fucking wall. Me & the lady next to me were doing the full lean outside the raft. My back was in the water for a few seconds, but luckily I was able to keep my feet hooked in & we both pulled ourselves back up. Four rafts from our group went through the park. Only one, ours, came out the other end with everyone on board. Two of the other rafts' guides went in the water, too. One of 'em hit the big hole & got launched straight up. We were first through & were just eddied out, collecting everyone. It was crazy. Found out after we got back to Austin that a rafter drowned in the park the next day.

On 6/5/2018 at 1:36 PM, Doc Holliday said:

Durango is currently on fire.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/nation-and-world/colorado-wildfire-rages-near-durango-as-firefighters-gain-on-new-mexico-blaze-20180605

Hot weather was expected to stoke an unchecked wildfire in southern Colorado on Tuesday that forced the evacuation of hundreds of homes.

The blaze, dubbed the 416 Fire, spread across some 2,400 acres early on Tuesday near Durango, Colorado, where the temperature was expected to reach into the high 80s.

The fire, which began on Friday, was just 10 percent contained on Tuesday morning, as about 825 homes remained under evacuation, officials said.

“In the coming days the fire is expected to burn actively,” the U.S. Forest Service said in an alert. “Firefighters will continue building defensible spaces around homes and structures.”

About 250 miles (400 km) to southeast, 1,110 residents of Cimarron, New Mexico were allowed back into their homes after showers on Sunday helped quell part of a separate blaze, the Ute Park Fire, which burned 36,000 acres (14,569 hectares) of drought-parched grassland and timber since erupting on Thursday.

Cimarron, a frontier-style town, lies about 140 miles (225 km) northeast of Albuquerque, the state’s largest city. Ute Park is about 10 miles (16 km) west of Cimarron.

By early Tuesday, fire crews had managed to carve containment lines around 25 percent of the blaze, up from zero containment on Sunday morning.

Used to go to Boy Scout Camp at Cimmarron. Hope they have it contained.

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2/15/2019 at 3:16 PM, Whatever said:

Going in July for a wedding.  I see there are around a dozen dispensaries in Durango.  Since I've yet to visit one, are they all about the same or are there a couple that are better?

Weedmaps is the yelp of dispensaries. Leafly also has reviews but weedmaps seems to have more users. That said, Sante' was listed top dispensary at tripadvisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g33397-Activities-c40-Durango_Colorado.html

and Prohibition Herb was tops on yelp https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=dispensary&find_loc=durango%2C+Co&ns=1

I was there a few years ago and stopped in The Greenery and it was pretty great.

• 1 year later...

I’m headed to Southwest Colorado in June. Will be me, wife in our 50’s, three 20’s adult kids, and one 75 yo MIL.

Thoughts on the best town or area to base ourselves? We will be there probably about 4-7 days. Right now we are thinking Durango, but have thought about Telluride or somewhere else. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m headed to Southwest Colorado in June. Will be me, wife in our 50’s, three 20’s adult kids, and one 75 yo MIL.

Thoughts on the best town or area to base ourselves? We will be there probably about 4-7 days. Right now we are thinking Durango, but have thought about Telluride or somewhere else. Thoughts?

Depends on what you are looking for.  Telluride is a great place, and you can’t go wrong.  Been there many times in winter and summer.  Durango is also nice, but typically more crowded.  It is cheaper.  Stayed there a few years ago, then again in late summer this year at an area about 20 min north of town.  Will be staying in Telluride and the same area north of Durango in May.

Durango will be cheaper to stay.  If that’s not an issue, I’d go with T-ride just because it is so incredibly scenic. It will also be a little cooler (generally).  Good restaurants.  Free Gondola to take you to and from Mountain Village.  You can stay in town or on the mountain, ad you can drive over to Durango if you want to check it out or go there to ride the train.

You can get to Mesa Verde National Park from either (Indian cave dwellings).  You can also drive over to Moab and go to Arches National Monument in about the same time from either. 

On 1/30/2021 at 4:16 PM, Dbeasy said:

I think Durango is a great option for something like this.  It's not as pricey as Telluride, and still beautiful as hell.  Telluride is reasonable drive from Durango too, for a day trip.

Check out the Durango/Silverton Narrow Gauge railroad for a fun afternoon.  I don't know if they'll be open yet in June or not; likely depends on snow pack.  Carver Brewing had some solid beers and a real cool patio area last time I was there (2018).

Have fun.  The San Juan Range is one of the most beautiful places in the country.  I've been there 5-6 times over the past 15 years and hiked a bunch of the 14ers in that area (been up Chicago Basin a few times).  Not sure your overall interest in hiking and I'm guessing the 75 yo MIL wouldn't be interested, but that could make for an awesome activity.  Mt. Sneffels from Yankee Basin is a walk-up hike, and an excuse to drive Highway 550 through Ridgway and Ouray.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

If you are a hiker and have acclimated yourself,  the ice lake hike is one of the best hikes you may ever go on.  The trail starts just outside Silverton and will take you a bit of time with one potential water crossing that may be a little hairy but it's very much worth it. 

Edit: looks like they are now using a permit system due to hikers making it their very own san Francisco (shit and trash on trail). Sad if that is the case. So I recommend it with reservations.  I personally did not see that issue at the lake itself so maybe it's localized to the trail 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

If you are a hiker and have acclimated yourself,  the ice lake hike is one of the best hikes you may ever go on.  The trail starts just outside Silverton and will take you a bit of time with one potential water crossing that may be a little hairy but it's very much worth it. 
Edit: looks like they are now using a permit system due to hikers making it their very own san Francisco (shit and trash on trail). Sad if that is the case. So I recommend it with reservations.  I personally did not see that issue at the lake itself so maybe it's localized to the trail 

We hiked Ice Lake basin in October and there was a wildfire that shut it down not long after we left. I’m not sure if it’s open, but if it is, permits could be crowd control given the delicate state of things.

Durango is probably your best base. Biggest town, good for getting around, most food/activity choices. We stayed in an Airbnb about 10 minutes from the town center and it was a great combo of convenient and secluded.

Also, in general, SW Colorado is God’s country.